“False impressions”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Rawreth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Looking for somewhere quite for a friends reunion/get together we chose the Chichester hotel restaurant in Rawreth. Charming place, peaceful, relaxing, overlooking a pretty courtyard.
We ordered four sandwiches & 1 baguette. Lovely waitresses explained 'No granary bread' not a problem, chose alternative.
Our order arrived after 45 mins and we were the only five customers present. Not a problem, we were in no hurry.
The bread was medium sliced supermarket variety and very dry with hard crusts giving the impression of microwave defrosting. The margarine was melted onto the bread, the baguette very hard at both ends and the egg mayo filling still hot.
Being 'Terribly British' we put off complaining for a while but halfway into our sandwiches we called a waiter/manager over and expressed out disappointment. He came up with various excuses ie 'No head chef' (really??? To make a sandwich) Eventually after a long negotiations we did not pay for them.
The standard of a simple sandwich was just not conducive to such an upmarket establishment!
So disappointed!! First impressions of the venue promised so much yet delivere so little!
Come on guys, surely you can do better?
The fact that we were the only customers in the restaurant the entire time may reflect the standard of food!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I have eaten at various iteration of the restaurant here a few times with mixed experiences. This time with only enough time for a main course I went for the Guinea fowl special and it was pretty decent, cooked just right and tasty. All wolfed down.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 5 June 2017

I attended a small function at the Chichester on the 4th of June and was bitterly dissapointed with the poor quality of the food. I was served a roast dinner that was a combination of overcooked meat and vegetables complimented by raw brocolli and cauliflower. It was the worst meal that I have been served in a long time and should be an embarrassment to the chefs that prepared it. The servers were very nice young people but they lacked training in how to serve a function. In all I would never return to this establishment.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

So, been here on a number of occasions some years back when the Sunday carvery type dinner was available in the big hall/barn. And, whilst it was far from a la carte, it was fair value for money and always packed.
So to commemorate a loved ones birthday, we as a family and friends decided to go back.
Big mistake.....whilst the staff seemed willing and in the main happy in their jobs, the food was not good..
Had one been lucky to have selected the correct dishes from a pre order menu then I guess one would have been fairly happy. However, mine and a number of other starters were warm at best, the ceaser salad was pitiful but he soup seemed fairly safe. The main, (I had the roast) thankfully was hot except for one roast potato which was odd. Oh and talking of the potatoes, I'm pretty sure they were off the pre-cooked, aunt bessie type but could be wrong.
The fish and chips seemed the best option with the mains.
Deserts you'd think would be safe but even though pre ordered, the crumble was out of stock..
I would imagine that as they use the bar area now as a dinning hall they haven't a proper kitchen in that zone? But also imagine the kitchen hasn't got heating as some of the whitewater was freezing, however the plates were hotter than the meals..
In all, I don't think one of us had an average three courses and our 1 more visit was definitely our 1 last visit.
It's a shame as the place does have potential. Under new management, I'm not sure what plans they have and I don't think they know yet either. There was a wedding fayre on in the old dining hall...
I think management would benefit from a mystery shopper experience...

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

Oh dear where has it all gone wrong.poor value for money,canteen style food,expensive drinks £5 vodka and coke no ice or slice or even a smile.cold room temperature,maybe warm the venue earlier,oh and keep the ginger cat out .This used to be a great Christmas party venue but not anymore. Sad really.

Date of visit: December 2016