“Shanks for nothing”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 December 2020

On a lovely Saturday afternoon my partner, kids and I decided to pop in for lunch. The place wasn’t overly busy and with covid restrictions in place we were happy to have an hour and a half time limit. The coffees and drinks came quickly and our food followed not long after. My ripe burger was good and would gladly eaten another. My daughters cheeseburger which was to be cooked medium according to the menu appeared to be more medium rare. The kicker though was that mr partners lamb shank and mash was cold. Like stone cold mash. It was returned and came out 4 to 5 minutes later. It was clear the whole thing had been put in the microwave cause the sides were steaming and we were warned not to touch the bowl. Guess what? the shank next to the bone on the inside was barely Luke warm and my partner refused to eat it from that point on. We were offered a replacement meal but declined. When I went into pay, the waitress that served us also took payment and asked how everything was. Like wtf? And the chef was in the kitchen laughing. It wasn’t a big menu and really wasn’t busy so I shudder to think what would happen if it was busy. The bakery over the road is a much better place to eat. We won’t be back

Date of visit: December 2020

Reviewed 3 December 2020

The location is well-situated in the centre of Sassafras, I was a little jealous of the people who got window seats, as it seemed like they had a good view of the Dangenong Ranges, but those tables were already occupied before we arrived. The staff were friendly, efficient, and helpful around the menu. We were not waiting long either for service, nor for our drinks or food to arrive.

The breakfasts we ordered were delicious, and quite sizeable. We both struggled to finish everything served-up. The coffee was also excellent, having an especially smooth flavour.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 13 November 2020

Arrived at the time we'd booked, sat down in the nice cafe and looked at the menu.
Nearly 15 minutes later (2 other tables were seated) - we managed to attract someone to take an order.
The coffee and food atfet that appeared very quickly.
The 'breakfast burger' fried egg and bacon on a roll was adequate, as were the scrambled eggs on toast. The coffee also was ok, not hot, but ok.
The staff were great when they could fit you in, but in a little shopping strip full of cafes, this was nothing special.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Geoff S
Reviewed 14 March 2020 via mobile

I was having a very tough morning and came in on my own for a hot chocolate. The lady behind the counter noticed I was quite distressed and asked me if I was going okay. When my drink was bought out, a chocolate chip cookie was bought out on the house and the waitress stated she hopes I feel better soon. Next thing I know, another waitress comes out and has a chat to me to comfort me and ensure me that everything will be okay. This really lifted my spirits and made me really appreciate this little cafe. It’s the little things that count. You have never seen me before but thank you so much for taking the time to try and improve my day. I will definitely be back

Date of visit: March 2020
1  Thank svds4
Reviewed 9 March 2020 via mobile

Came here for coffee as my 'usual' was closed. No prices displayed on cakes, and expensive Espresso.

Date of visit: March 2020