“One of the highlights of my trip to Marrakech :)”

Berber Travel Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Amizmiz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors experience firsthand the beauty and hospitality of Moroccan Berber culture by meeting and interacting with those living in the many small mountainous villages surrounding Amizmiz, a town about an hour from Marrakech. Activities include visiting Berber villages and homes, helping prepare traditional Berber meals, and learning about the daily life of Morocco's native people. This cultural attraction gives visitors a real-life encounter with the rural Berber life of the High Atlas Mountains.
Reviewed 3 November 2012

My first thought when I started the visit to the Tuesday Berber market in Amizmiz was: Finally I am out of the chaotic and stressful medina in Marrakech and I can enjoy real-life in a smaller town. This market is not at all for tourists who are looking for another souvenir to take home. Here is where you can really see how local people are living. This market is by and for local people who need to buy their food, spices, cooking tool etc. It was amazing to stroll around and drink a fresh mint tea in one of the communal areas.
After the market we visited a Berber village, set in a fantastic landscape, and we had lunch at one of the Berber houses (a fantastic tajine with home-made bread).
Jamal was an amazing guide and company and so was Aicha, the wonderful lady who hosted us in her house and cooked for us.
If you want to experience something really authentic, take this tour!

Reviewed 26 October 2012

I found out about Berber Travel Adventures through Trip Advisor and booked the trip over the internet. Our taxi driver arrived at our riad in Marrakech at 9a.m. prompt and took us to the taxi. From there we drove to Amizmiz where we met Jamal who was very friendly and obviously very popular in the little town as everyone seemed to know him. He took us to the weekly market which was a great experience; second hand clothes, fruit, veg, meat, spices, jewellery, a donkey park (not a car park!) you name it and it was there. We stopped for mint tea and doughnuts and then started our trip up to the little Berber village of Sidi Hussain, about an hour's walk from Amizmiz. The family whose home we visited were most hospitable and we had a wonderful lunch of chicken tagine which was the most delicious tagine I'd tasted. All too soon it was time to leave and make our way back to Amizmiz where our taxi was waiting. I can't speak highly enough of Jamal who was a brilliant companion and the trip as a whole. If you want to experience the real Morocco then I suggest you use Berber Travel Adventures. This trip was all it said it would be and more. Thanks for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Had a fantastic experience on a full day hike with Berber Travel Adventures. They were extremely knowledgable, helpful and experienced. The hike was gorgeous and they provide a 1 of a kind experience if you are interested in how berbers live.

I did the hard route, which was about 11 miles total. The terrain was never too rough, and even though I am not an experienced hiker it was accessible and fun.

Of everything I did in Marrakech, this was by far the most interesting and the experience I would most highly recommend.

2  Thank kbeards
Reviewed 23 October 2012

A big thank you to Naurddine especially for taking on such a special trek through the Berber hills above Amizmiz. We had a wonderful day. The scenery was amazing. Great to be able to see the real life of the charming Berber people. Highly recommend. Only an hours drive from Marrakech. A million miles from the noise and chaos of this vibrant city.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I arranged this after seeing the good reviews. The detailed explainations on the website helped us choose our trip- the moderate walking trek.
When I emailed they sent further details of what to wear and take and exactly what we would be doing on the day as well as a link for how to get toAmizmiz from Marrakech. They had an option to let them arrange our taxi a fixed price which we went for to save getting ripped off by the taxi drivers in Marrakech which often happens.
The price of the trip was the average for trips that include lunch. They also let us know that our guide wouldn't take us to random shops for commission unlike other tour companies. Our friendly guide was Nouruddeen who took us at our own pace, stopping for photos and even picked fresh almonds from a tree for us.
He took us to a Berber village for fresh mint tea and bread with olive oil and honey and later to one for a huge lunch. There was a delicious tomato salad and best chicken and veg tagine we had while in Morocco and loads of fresh bread. Our guide informed us that our trip money also goes towards paying these villagers for their hospitality so it's good to know this tour company helps their community in this way.
It was a nice but tiring walk and the views were beautiful and the people really friendly. It was a welcome break from the chaos of Marrakech. All four of us enjoyed our amazing adventure that day. I think it was well worth the money and the highlight of our holiday.

1  Thank skytrains