“Great atmosphere nice food”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in Ampthill
Description: Once an 18th century coaching inn, The White Hart in Ampthill is situated in the north of the Georgian market town. This historic Grade II listed building, which may date back as far as the 16th Century, continues to be a prominent destination in Ampthill. Features include a wall mural above the bar’s fireplace of the Prince of Wales feathers, created by local artists in 1646, whilst our stylish 1930s dining room was built towards the end of the arts and crafts era. Our Mediterranean-inspired menu is served daily from 8am, and guests can choose from a variety of dishes all freshly prepared in our open kitchen. The provenance and quality of our ingredients is paramount, and our produce is ethically sourced and traceable from field to fork.
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I would give this a 5* only I didn’t find the staff over friendly just doing a job!!! - but the food was great and a lovely atmosphere! I would go back again!

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I have just got back from visiting this place for breakfast with friends. When I arrived, I was greeted by a lovely waitress. She has treated the dog that was with us to a biscuit, and she was lovely towards my friends little baby girl. She was patient while we decided what we would like to eat and made suggestions for us. I opted for the poached egg and mushrooms, and my friends had avacado toast and the poached egg and salmon. The food was lovely, drinks where nice and prompt, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the relaxed environment.

However, I must say that the tone was somewhat ruined towards the end of our visit when we came to pay for the bill. My friend informed a different member of saff that we had the bill, and she came to the table with the card machine. Now, I know bills can be a pain for a server having been one myself, but it is quite probable when you see a group of women/men out for a meal that they are likely to split the bill. She presented us with the full amount on the card machine, and when my friend explained we were splitting the bill, the server remarked, "you didn't tell me that." We were not aware this needed to be discussed prior to recieving the card machine, as in many establishments the different amounts can be entered as you go and paid off. She dashed off after my friend had paid her part of the bill, then came back to present me with the rest of the bill to pay. I must say we weren't overly impressed by her previous comment, but when I said to her that no, we were splitting it 3 ways (three adults eating) she threw her head back in exasperation. Professional? She didn't wait for us to finish our sentences before she dashed off once more. Our final member of the group paid in cash. It just put a bit of a downer on what had been a lovely experience. We are customers, we are not to know that your payment system differs from most others out there, or that we are supposed to inform you at the start of a meal or when recieving the bill that we wish to split it. Maybe this could be something servers ask when presenting the bill in future, if it really is that much of a fiasco for them.

Overall, we had a lovely time. But others may not have been as non-reactive to her demeanour as we were.

Reviewed 26 July 2018

Lovely atmosphere, good food and friendly waiters.
Light and airy indoor and outside space, situated in a great little town full of history!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The pork belly was out of this world. Definitely recommend! Very nice inside setting too. Nice and quiet.

Oakman I, Public Relations Manager at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Many thanks for your review

Kind Regards,

Sophie
The White Hart Team

Reviewed 26 June 2018

On the way home from London to holbeach felt too tiered to travel and decided to get a hotel, me and my partner. Most Amazing room for £65 so we had a few glasses of wine in the bar. Great atmosphere. The receptionist who answered the phone and took the booking was very helpful and a great laugh.Made the difference as we phoned 3 other places only to be answered by unhelpful people.

There is also a large car par next door which is quite cheap £6 for 24 hours and the hotel gave £2 towards it. Bonus.

The egg benidict we had for breakfast was fab too all for the £65 plus we got upgraded to executive room which my partner felt even better for. take care and keep up the good work.

Oakman I, Manager at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your overnight stay with us. Its great to hear we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade on this occasion and that the staff made you feel so at home. We do hope if you are passing in the future you will pay us a return visit to enjoy our hotel once again.

Kind Regards,
Sophie
On behalf of The White Hart.