“Two good meals in recent days”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #5 of 22 Restaurants in Ampthill
Description: Once an 18th century coaching inn, The White Hart in Ampthill is situated in the north of the Georgian market town. This historic Grade II listed building, which may date back as far as the 16th Century, continues to be a prominent destination in Ampthill. Features include a wall mural above the bar’s fireplace of the Prince of Wales feathers, created by local artists in 1646, whilst our stylish 1930s dining room was built towards the end of the arts and crafts era. Our Mediterranean-inspired menu is served daily from 8am, and guests can choose from a variety of dishes all freshly prepared in our open kitchen. The provenance and quality of our ingredients is paramount, and our produce is ethically sourced and traceable from field to fork.
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

Have eaten here a couple of times in the last week - once with family and once with colleagues

Both meals have been generally good

Scallops in my starter could have been bigger and my fillet steak was underdone - nothing a few more minutes in the pan didn't resolve

The grilled pineapple dessert is superb

Wine list is good but a bit pricey

Date of visit: June 2015
Write a reviewReviews (411)

Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

Eaten here twice now. Once with friends shortly after opening and then with family on Father's Day. Have really enjoyed both meals. Found the menu varied and interesting and have had good service on both occasions (although on the first visit drinks were a bit slow). Love the decor and my only complaint is that the toilets are too far from the restaurant!

1  Thank Nicmarkandsam
Reviewed 28 June 2015 via mobile

Well done The White Hart! Beautiful food, generous portions served hot on hot crockery. Waiting staff are attentive, professional and friendly. The building has had a lot of attention and is gleaming and welcoming with a good atmosphere. Definitely visit again.

Reviewed 24 June 2015 via mobile

went for Father's Day meal food was amazing, reasonably priced for quality and portion sizes good level of service attentive without being uncomftable and feeling like you are rushed. I hate it when you go to eat and feel like you have outstayed your welcome good gap between courses will defiantly return

1  Thank mazimopiglet
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

The White Hart was reopened in May 2015 with little fanfare after an extended period of closure for renovation. This was, I thought a smart move and suggested a quiet confidence on the part of the new owners and management. I visited there for a drink and was slightly disconcerted to learn that all ales were off save the U.S. Brewed
The White Hart was reopened in May 2015 after a prolonged period of refurbishment. I visited for a drink with a pal. In the absence of real ales I ordered a 'Shipyard' which I found rather like Samuel Adams' famous Boston ale. So a pretty good substitute. Fast forward 2 weeks and my daughter's 18th birthday loomed with considerably more fanfare than the grand re-opening of the White Hart. She chose the White Hart specifically so the die was cast.

Monday 22-Jun-15. Table for 8. White Hart restaurant. The restaurant was buzzing. At 8pm all tables were full and it became evident the 2 waiting staff on duty were stretched. We ordered drinks which arrived after a thoughtful pause. The table behind us gave up and left. We soldiered on, made of sterner stuff. The menu is somewhat restricted so I ventured to the open plan kitchen and engaged chef in a discussion. He recommended a dish not on the menu but priced at the top end £24.95 I decided to go for it. Some time later we'd given up on our 2nd round drinks order and a couple of us ventured to the bar to order direct. Drinks sorted we returned to the table to await our main courses.

The staff had no clue who had ordered what and as English was evidently not the first
Language it made explaining a harder slog than was reasonable.

As the dishes were allocated the disappointed faces told their own stories. My 'special dish' was lacklustre in the extreme and although the steak was well cooked the 'surf' was desperately, desperately poor. My wife's medium rare was cremated.

I had a discreet chat with duty manager Mike to explain my concern. Insufficient and inexpert staff, poor standard of cooking.

Given the evident enormous amount of money spent on the refurbishment why on Earth would the owners skimp on the most important elements of a restaurant ; cooking, food quality, service.

COME ON WHITE HART ! You have a golden opportunity here !!!! Up your game please !

3  Thank 744jonm