“Little Lilette”

Lilette
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Malvern
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: What is Lilette? Lilette is a small part of France, created by 2 passionate French patisserie chefs for their very cute daughter, Amelie. A 'vrai' Salon de The / Maison de la Gourmandise...............Filled with the most extraordinary creations: French pastries, macaron, croissant, tart and exquisite chocolate confections. Classic and simple using traditional French techniques resulting in a delicate treat that is not too heavy and not too sweet. Guilt free. Just perfect, really. Uncompromising quality utilising sourced products such as biodynamic flour from Powlett Hill in (Campbelltown, Victoria) and Chocolate from Valhrona (Lyon, France). Using their combined talents and experience as Pastry chefs (and Christina's Masters of International Hotel and Foodservice Management from the Institute Paul Bocuse, Ecully, FRANCE) in Lyon, France over to the USA and back Australia, it seemed inevitable that a business would be born. For Thomas and Christina its always been about quality and perfection. Thomas was born in Lyon, France (the gastronomic capital of France) and started his career with Marc Veyrat - one of the most famous chefs in Europe and considered by some to be the best in the world. Heading up the Patisserie in some of the best 5 star Hotels in France and Australia (Four Seasons in Sydney and Ritz-Carlton in the USA) opening up his own business in Australia is the realisation of a dream to return to Australia with his family. A 2 year stint with Shannon Bennett (Vue du Monde) as his head Pastry Chef was confirmation that Australians love and appreciate the quality and technique the French experience as a matter of course! Christina's love of France and the quality of products were encouraged by living in Lyon, sharing meals with her new French family, discovering the flavours and the authentic recipes which have been used in Lilette. Now you can go to Lilette and feel like you have discovered a small part of France. Don't forget to say 'bonjour' to Thomas in the kitchen! SAVOIR VIVRE, SAVOIR FAIRE!!!
Reviewed 30 July 2016

Dropped into this local patisserie/bakery for a coffee and cake and was immediately impressed. It is housed in a tiny shop and was very busy, leading me to think they must be doing more than a few things right, a view confirmed first by the prompt and friendly service and then by the excellence of the flat white and cherry tart I ordered. Good array of French-style pastries, croissants and macaroons on offer but the range not so great as to overwhelm - I've been on the horns of that dilemma in past and it's not always fun. They also have pies, sandwiches, quiches and salads for those who want something that is a little more solid.

2  Thank JElliot32
There are newer reviews for Lilette

Reviewed 10 April 2016 via mobile

Ideal place for a petit dejeuner, croissant and coffee, very nice and very French , their assortment of pastries and other delacies is numerous , they cater for special occasions , the owners are very friendly and helpful , will be back !

2  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 15 January 2016

Most Sundays I take my elderly mother to Lilette for a coffee and Macaroon. I usually have an Escargot or Croque Monsieur. Sometimes my children come too and they all love it. When I cannot take my mum there I pick up takeaway for her. The coffee is perfect as are the pastries and macaroons.
It is very authentic and a great place sit and relax while eating and chatting.

3  Thank MelbourneScott
Reviewed 3 November 2015

We read the reviews and decided to try out this place to get some takeaway baguettes, we were looking forward to it.
after we walked in and were greeted so nicely by whom I assume is the owner we decided to sit down and make a proper lunch of it, she really was a lovely owner/host.
We ordered two baguettes (turkey, beef), a sausage roll, a strawberry milkshake and a orange juice.

It was quiet and service was quick and pleasant.

The food came out, our son had a sausage roll, pastry was good but the filling was poor, very bread like.
The baguettes themselves were ok maybe lacking a bit of crunch but that is being fussy.
The issue with both was the quality and quantity of ingredients other than bread, there was a single very thin slice of turkey/ beef on each, making it more or less impossible to taste. Certainly not hat I'd expect from a french cafe.

When we saw the pricing we thought was reasonable for the quality we were expecting, however it did not live up to our expectations.
Whilst there was nothing inherently 'bad' about the food, it was certainly not worth the $10 for each meal.

In addition the strawberry milk shake which was in quite a small glass was also up there around $7/$8, it was very ordinary both in taste and volume.

When charging what I call 'Melbourne' pricing, the food better be 'Melbourne' quality... this was not, it was pleasant, but more the quality I'd expect from an old granny cafe in Frankston.

If you're in the area it's ok, but don't go out of your way for this.

Oh yeah, on our way out we decided to grab some sweets for later hoping this was their forte.. it was mixed results
-Caramel slice (the only thing that was excellent)
-Lemon tart, awful pastry, dull filling
-Yo-Yo, average
Again the price point was way off for the quality.

4  Thank Alex H
ChefLilette, Owner at Lilette, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2015

Dear Alex,
It was regretful that your experience at Lilette did not meet your expectation.
We do value your comments and we have taken on board your experience.
Here at Lilette we take pride in every products we make. I can assure you we only use good quality local ingredients (meats from our local Butcher.) and everything here is made from scratch. So we will now investigate those products that you have mention in your review carefully and we will take immediate actions to stay up to our standard.
Once again, I apologise that your experience were not up to your expectations and thank you kindly for your comments.

Reviewed 25 October 2015 via mobile

A little patisserie tucked away. Great food and coffee but it's the always cheerful staff that makes me keep returning

2  Thank DaleT2