1,254 results
All reviews italian restaurant kids club leisure centre lovely hotel set menu steam room hot breakfast both nights an overnight stay family break reception area food was lovely kildare village family room bar food my mum hotel bar
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Myself and my wife recently stayed in The Westgrove for a weekend through a City Breaks deal. Our stay was hugely enjoyable due in no small part to the staff in he hotel and also the above average facilities.
From our check-in with a very friendly receptionist, friendly bar staff to the very professionally run restaurant, we were both very impressed by the attitude of the staff during our stay.
Food at the hotel is of a very high standard. We had dinner in the restaurant on the Sat night and bar food on the Friday. (We didn't have the carvery but it looked good as I sat in the bar with a pint and a book!!!). The food was exceptional both nights so for future stays I would be more than happy to dine in the hotel again.
While I didn't use the Spa myself, my wife availed of a full facial and a mud bath. She was very happy with the treatments (c.2hrs) and fully enjoyed herself. I did avail of the gym and pool which were spot on!
The room was quite large. We just had a double bed in the room but there was quite a lot of room which would allow a family of 4 stay in the one room with some temp beds if needed! If I had any criticism it would be the decor in the rooms which could possibly do with a slight face lift. This is really being picky though as the rooms are very clean and comfortable! The only other thing was some noise coming from the heating / pipes (I think?!) at 8am on the Sat morning which woke me up but I was getting up anyway so it wasn't much of a problem.

All in all, I would strongly recommend the Westgrove and will be planning a return this year and this time bringing the kids!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
JerryRu, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to recieve your feedback. We hope we encourage you to visit Co Kildare again in the near future and especially the Westgrove Hotel.
For things to do in Co Kildare check out www.intokildare.ie
Kind regards
Geeral Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Booked this through city deals .great value.lady on reception was very nice when checking in.room was not ready,so she looked after our bags while we went to the bar for a bit of lunch.food was good,bars are very nice,service was ok? Got our room within the hour, room was fine size and clean.walls are paper thin,you can hear a lot! We were on top floor and when it rains you can hear it bouncing off the roof. All the basics including tv with a good choice of tv stations.went to the bar in the afternoon for a pint,just a few people there, sport on the tv.didnt eat in the restaurant in the hotel instead went to a tiny Indian restaurant in clne called Bombay bistro,absolutely lovely and very cheap. Got back to hotel later that evening and would like to have watched the live soccer on tv in the bar.was told by barman that someone was watching the cricket that was actually on repeat from 4 hours earlier,said nothing,bit disappointed.10 min later a local came in and asked if they were showing the soccer and low and behold within seconds it was on the tv?atmosphere in the hotel was absolutely brutal! Drank our way through it.up the next morning,breakfast was lovely.all in all it's an ok hotel in a poor location.

Room Tip: Try out the Bombay bistro in clane village
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Jerry R, General Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night using a voucher I'd got for Christmas, the voucher included a drink "on arrival" and late check out the next morning. Teh drink on arrival came in the form of a voucher for the hotel bar to claim any drink you liked.

Check in was stress free, and our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. Breakfast the next morning had a great variety of things incuding fruit, cereals, pastries, cooked Irish breakfast as well as a nice selection of juices.

We then spent the afternoon enjoying the Jacuzzi, pool and sauna in the leisure centre which was really relaxing (although they don't advertise these facilities on their website for some reason).

The staff were all very friendly and overall the experience was perfect, very easy to get there from Dublin for a night or two away.

Only problem was-our room (320) had a faulty radiator which made a very loud buzzing sound several times during the night. It woke me up in a panic!

1  Thank asmccart
WestgroveHotel, Front Office Manager at Westgrove Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found time to use our Pool, Steam Room and Jacuzzi. Thank you for all your compliments about our staff, your accommodation and our breakfast service. I have noted the issue regarding the noise from your radiator and will have it sorted promptly.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Westgrove Hotel in the near future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at The Westgrove last night and it was great! We stayed before and weren't disappointed again this time. Food in the restaurant is fab and the service is fantastic. Breakfast is excellent and the chef was very cheery while serving the beautifully cooked breakfast. The only downside was we were in an adjoining room and could hear next door's television! Next time we go we will ask for no adjoining room.... We will be back...

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is not adjoining another..
1  Thank Trixy16

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that it was a return visit .Thank you for your comments about your dining experience in our Restaurant. The team here will be enthused to read your comments on the food and the service. I am sorry that you got an adjoining bedroom and that you were disturbed by their television but am delighted to hear that you'll be back soon.
Thank you for all your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Westgrove Hotel in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Firstly, I'd like to point out I booked this hotel as part of a romantic weekend to celebrate my anniversary with my girlfriend.

I may aswell start with the booking of the hotel.
I rang a week in advance, requesting an executive suite upgrade for my room. After ten minutes of being on hold, I was told that they would ring me back asap letting me know if there was one available. I received no phone call. When I arrived, there was no upgrades available. However, there was several rooms the week before, had they rang back.

When I arrived, there was no "hello, enjoy your stay, etc". I was given my room keys and immediately dismissed. Of course, I was waiting at least a half an hour to even book in, I thought I at least deserved an apology for the wait. Nothing.

As part of my package, I was supposed to receive welcome drinks. There was no sign of these. Nor was I told where to get them, what I'd prefer, etc.

Though the hotel itself is stunning, the rooms are of 3* quality, maximum. For a 4* hotel, I at least expected a mini fridge, or a safe. Neither of these were there. But I was most shocked to see three dirty coasters glued to the table.

But most importantly, my biggest complaint. The next morning at 9.30am, the maids barged into the room. Without knocking. My girlfriend is very shy and if she had been walking around naked, which very possible celebrating an anniversary, a lot further action would've been taken. The maid then stormed out after I abruptly shouted at her. She barely apologised. If this wasn't bad enough, another maid did the exact same thing at 11am. Again, not knocking, not apologising.

A late checkout until 3pm was also a part of my package. At 12.30, reception rang my room, basically asking when we were getting out of the room. I told her I had late checkout. A maid then banged on my door AGAIN at about 2 o'clock asking when I was leaving.

And finally, checkout. Standing for about 40minutes waiting. Again, no apologies. No "How was your stay". Just grabbed my key and said "yeah, that's grand. Bye"

At this stage, I was obviously extrememly pissed off and demanded to see a manager. I waited about ten minutes, while the receptionist just stood there, not doing anything, before she even rang the manager. I have to admit, the manager himself, was a very nice man. He couldn't apologise more if he tried and took my complaint quite seriously. But while I spoke to him, the same receptionist stared at us, ear pointing towards us, listening to every word. I was disgusted that people like her even have a job in today's climate when there's thousands of students that could do her job a million times better.

All in all, avoid this hotel. I was planning on staying a second night, but after what the staff had put us through, I could not get out fast enough!

4  Thank Vin92