All reviews main building view of the ocean owners and staff huevos rancheros nachos casado ceviche watch the sunset wonderful food wonderful place turtle sanctuary costa rica gabor elizabeth canadian marlin paradise
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We didn't stay here but did visit to try lunch, snacks and dinners. They have a great Prime Rib dinner, Wings Wednesday, appy menu and a somewhat secret beer stash for those who prefer Craft Beers! Run by a couple of Canadian families... well worth the visit. This eatery needs to have its own listing under restaurants as well!!! Awesome place to go see the sunset and have a bite to eat.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2018

I stayed for 5 days at this resort in a quiet section of Playa Junquillal. I arrived around 4 o'clock in the afternoon and stepped onto the beautiful soft beach. I was the only sole on the beach....as far as I could see to the north and south.

Room Tip: Convenient excursion vans pick you up at the front door of the resort to take you on a number of adventures, or sight seeing tours
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 9 March 2018

A friend and I stayed at the Playa Junquillal Eco Resort Feb 26th to March 4th. We arrived late at night so I was not able to take in the beauty as we drove in from the Liberia airport. The next morning when I woke up I was more than a little excited and overwhelmed. To say we arrived in paradise is no joke! The hotel is a tropical sanctuary, a 30 metre walk to the Pacific Ocean, a beach bar, immaculate swimming pool; everything was outstanding.

I then met the owners Tibor and Elizabeth; they make their guests feel welcome and ensure that you get to experience everything that makes this area of Costa Rica special. They greeted us every morning at breakfast to check in on how we slept and were truly appreciative of all their guests choosing their establishment for their stay. I was there to checkout from a stressful job and work demands and to rejuvenate and relax. The hotel could not have been more perfect. Quiet, peaceful and our hosts knew exactly how much interruption we needed.

We decided to make our week about sun, beach, reading, eating and sleeping. No decisions to make and when it came to the huge decisions of what to eat or drink, Tibor and Elizabeth were always there with the perfect recommendation from their menus. The menu has something for everyone and is never boring. You are able to eat something different every meal and the food was delicious, rivaling any all-inclusive resort I have been to.

The wildlife at the resort is remarkable and is much different than the typically generically manicured all-inclusive resorts, where no animals abound. The surf and beach were fantastic and if you are uncomfortable in waves; it is a short hike to tidal pools carved into the lava rock to have a dip to cool off. A turtle sanctuary nearby meant we got to witness a sea turtle release at sunset, something that is comical and moving at the same time.

The rooms were immaculate, and the mattress was better than my own at home, no TV means there are no outside influences to disrupt your holiday.

The beach bar was active from 5:30pm to 8:30pm every night and they have entertainment 2-3 times a week. Nothing like a singer with an acoustic guitar to serenade you as the sun goes down and the waves washing ashore it was pretty sublime.

I have travelled a lot and have never reviewed a hotel before. This is definitely the only place I will return to on many occasions. Tibor, Elizabeth, their family and staff have a little piece of heaven on earth. I am grateful to have been able to experience it. See you guys again soon.

Kerry

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1kerlan
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Family run resort, right on the beach in a quiet non tourist area. Walked on the beach with almost no one else visible. Area is clean and safe. About an hour from the airport so you’ll need to rent a car. Food was amazing and very reasonably priced.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy3567
Reviewed 18 February 2018

We have not stayed here (We rent a house nearby); but, have been a number of times to the restaurant. The location is lovely: a balcony that overlooks a great beach, facing spectacular sunsets. It has changed ownership a year ago, I think, and they seem very disorganized. One night, we waited an hour and 10 minutes to get dinner served. The food is pretty plain: OK fish, quesedillas that are fine. the run out of varieties of wine.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family