We came here on our honeymoon and had a great time, except for some things that had nothing to do with the hotel... more on that later.
The resort is beautiful and the grounds are VERY well-maintained. We had an ocean view room, but it was on the first floor; so while we couldn't see the ocean very well, the view of the resort was very nice. Plush, green, and just plain beautiful. We spent a lot of time on our balcony with drinks, just talking and relaxing.
The rooms aren't overly luxurious, but were clean and very comfortable. We slept great every night we were there and had no problems with the room.
The food was excellent, albeit expensive. We were prepared to spend a good portion of our money on food and drinks. But, it was all REALLY good. The drinks were strong and the restaurants were wonderful. We especially liked the Italian restaurant (went there twice!), and we were really excited to see that the Asian restaurant had a half-price sushi and saki special while we were there. The outside restaurants were fun and laid-back; I just wish that they would stay open a little bit later.
We rented a car for a couple of days to go into old San Juan, El Yunque, and some other excursions. Make sure you rent a car for at least a day or two - you can do this at the resort. While you're out, be sure to stop at a grocery store to get some stuff for making drinks. We liked Ralph's on Hwy 3 (in PR, you can buy beer, wine, and liquor in grocery stores). This saved us TONS of money and made it easy to drink on the balcony.
The casino was pretty small, but we had fun in there. My husband was disappointed that there weren't any poker tables (at least not while we were in there), but the slots were fun and we won on the roulette several times! (Free drinks at the casino was nice too!)
The only bad part of the trip is that I was getting sick as we landed in PR. By our second day, I needed a doctor. The hotel was fantastic with helping us with this - they called a doctor in town to make me an appointment and helped us arrange a taxi to get there and back. So while it was a bummer to be sick on your honeymoon, the hotel really took care of us.
If we ever return to PR, we would definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa Puerto Rico/Rio Grande