“Just fabulous”

The Old Post Office Bistro
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Warkworth
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A small bistro offering imaginative menus using high quality local produce. We have a small menu to allow everything to be cooked freshly to order with fish, seafood, meat and vegetarian options; our seasonal menu can be found on our website. We only open on Friday and Saturday evenings and booking is recommended.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We did our research and we booked ahead and we're so glad that we did. This was not a special occasion but it was a special experience. The space was delightfully set out, the welcome warm without being intrusive and the service and food excellent. We really enjoyed and varied and interesting range of local foods which had clearly been carefully prepared and served and the atmosphere was lovely. Small is beautiful.

Helen P, Owner at The Old Post Office Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely little review of your evening with us, much appreciated. Best wishes Helen and Rich

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After dining at The Old Post Office a number of times now with my partner we booked a table for 4 good foodie friends. As usual we were greeted warmly by Richard and seated at our table which was waiting for us. Lovely ambiance with chatter from neighbouring diners and low level music. Second night of the Autumn menu which was fabulous. I chose lobster ravioli (pic) to start followed by haloumi and roasted cauliflower fajitas. The ravioli was beautifully cooked and tasty served topped with locally caught brown shrimps.... delicious! The main served on a sizzler came with homemade tortillas and a good accompaniment of sliced creamy avocado, tasty cherry tomatoes, salsa, salads and sour cream, all of which made for a devine treat to the tastebuds. We chose two different white wines from the menu which accompanied my meal wonderfully. One of our friends chose the steak for main course (pic) which he said was the best he’d ever had. Shared cheese boards and port to follow which had a good selection of soft and hard cheese including an award winning local blue cheese... fabulous! I can’t praise this bistro enough for taste, service and overall dining experience. If you want to go make sure you book in advance as they only open on a Friday and Saturday evening. Well worth a wait! Thanks Richard and Helen for another fantastic evening

2  Thank Davy_Mather
Helen P, Owner at The Old Post Office Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much for another wonderful review David and it's always a pleasure to look after you; you're friends are great and lovely to hear lots of laughter coming from the dining room. I was quite pleased with the new Autumn menu, a few tweaks needed here and there but pleased to get such good feedback. See you again soon, best wishes Helen and Rich

Reviewed 7 September 2018

As we were staying in Warkworth for a few days, we booked this for our first evening based on Trip Advisor reports - just wished we had booked it for every night as it was marvellous - and not surprisingly fully booked for the rest of our stay! We had a wonderful evening at the superb Old Post Office, truly one of the best meals we’ve had for ages - gazpacho amuse-bouche, figs and local blue cheese drizzled with honey (incredible), crab cakes with kale and nut salad with sweet potato chips and a shared (we were very full!) Lemon frangipane tart with ice-cream, washed down with a delicious bottle of Limoux (recommended by the very friendly owner-waiter) and lovely coffee. Just wish we lived nearer!

Helen P, Owner at The Old Post Office Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

What a lovely review and as you don't live nearer you'll just have to come to beautiful Northumberland again! Many thanks Helen and Rich

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Just the one night here on our cycling tour and I wish we could’ve stayed longer. Very comfortable room with everything we needed. A warm welcome after a hard day was much appreciated.
Breakfast was fantastic. Lovely food freshly prepared. This is a first class place to stay.I thoroughly recommend: you will not be disappointed.

Helen P, Owner at The Old Post Office Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Thank you very much for your lovely review, kind regards Helen and Rich

Reviewed 5 August 2018

This was our first visit to The Old Post Office and we went as it was recommended on Trip Advisor. When I phoned up, I didn't find the man's tone very friendly, but I mention this to advise others not to be put off. He was actually very nice in the flesh, even though he did spill red wine on my foot (and didn't top up my glass afterwards either!). We found it difficult to park in Warkworth (which is a beautiful place but parking is in short supply), but were told to park on the wide pavement outside the restaurant, which felt wrong but we did it anyway. The food was generally good, though there wasn't a lot of choice on the menu. Hubby had some lovely pate for a starter, and I had something I have now forgotten (senior moment) but I know I enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the bits of homebaked bread and gorgonzola gnocchi we were brought as an amuse-bouche. The mains were good too - my salmon was a tad overcooked but tasted lovely nevertheless, and the veg were numerous and well-cooked, with a buttery flavour. The rosti-type thing the salmon was sitting on, made with sweet corn among other things, was surprisingly flavourless, however. Hubby had chicken skewers which was his only choice other than vegetarian (sadly he had chicken skewers in Hooked restaurant a couple of days later - again his only choice due to fish allergy - and they were better than The Old Post Office's version, though that isn't to suggest The Old Post Office chicken skewers weren't nice). We were too full for dessert. The restaurant is an odd mixture of parsimony and generosity - the afore-mentioned amuse-bouche were lovely and we were given small shots of Mead at the end of the meal, which was a nice touch (though unfortunately I really hate mead - but that isn't the restaurant's fault, and hubby enjoyed it), but the measures of wine were definitely on the mean side and we would have liked more bread. The desserts were a little uninspiring - grilled peaches, ice-cream, cheese board, the sort of things you can easily throw together at home. I suggest they make a couple of more interesting desserts involving a little more effort, BUT having said that we didn't try the desserts so they might have been mind-blowingly good for all we know! We would definitely try here again and we would recommend it - I think it is the sort of place that will get better and better.

2  Thank WestWingFans
Helen P, Owner at The Old Post Office Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you for your review, although we are disappointed that you found so many 'niggles' on your evening with us. We always take criticism on the chin and strive to do better, although the only comment that we do feel the need to reply to is the suggestion of 'parsimony' (a less high brow term being stinginess!). We provide complimentary amuse bouche, chocolates and mead (ginger wine is also offered), generous meal portions and as much bread as you would like....you only had to ask for some more. Alot of bread is returned and so we don't initially serve large portions. In terms of our wine servings, they are governed by alcohol licensing laws and measured out into the glass as a 125 or 175 depending which you order; anything else would be illegal and so we are surprised about this comment. Yes desserts are simpler in the summer when a lighter option is often better, but don't be deceived, our salted caramel ice cream and lemon curd ice cream are both home-made, our peaches grown organically and also on offer on the night was Cranachan and home-made crumble; it's a shame you didn't try them. The purpose of table checking is to check that all customers are happy with their food and dining experience and so please flag this up at the time of dining to support local hospitality business in a constructive way. Regards Helen and Rich