“Great airline. Exceeded my expectations.”
Review of Xiamen Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great value for money. I booked Xiamen Airlines from Sydney to Vancouver in Dec 2017 travelling with my wife and two teen agers. The aeroplane is new (B787 Dreamliner) and clean. The service crew speak very little English but were very helpful and attentive. Food quality and presentation was excellent. Probably one of the best tasting airline food I've had. Food service was quick and efficient. You will never feel hungry on the flight. Legroom was great, even more spacious than Cathay.

You cannot use your mobile phone at anytime during the flight but iPads and laptops are ok. I find this a bit odd but that is their policy. The inflight entertainment is very good with recently released Hollywood movies for all ages. Boarding was very quick and efficient too. Our checked baggage is fly through which is very convenient for flights that have stop overs in between. No need to claim your luggages at Xiamen airport. Once you checked in your luggage at the airport of origin, the next time you'll see it is at the airport of destination. I am really happy with this.

We have a 3 hour stop at Xiamen on the way to Vancouver so we just waited at the airport for our flight, no worries. Just enough time to eat and stretch. There is not much to do in Xiamen airport. Very few shops and dining options and they do not accept foreign credit cards (not even McDonalds!) so the ATM is your friend.

We have a 15 hour stop over at Xiamen on the way back but that is not a problem because the airline offers complimentary accommodation. The hotel is about 15 minutes away from the airport. It is a 10-storey hotel, very nice and clean. It also comes with free breakfast. You will have to pay for the taxi from the airport to the hotel which for us is RMB 30. Taxis doesn't accept credit cards and speak zero English. We were able to rest, sleep, shower and even wandered around the hotel vicinity during our short stay.

The air fare from Sydney to Vancouver is more than half the price compared to airlines that offer direct flight like Air Canada. For a family of 4 travelling together, that offers great savings without sacrificing a lot.

I've had a great experience with Xaimen Airlines and will fly with them again in the future.

8  Thank Arrowheadz

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The immediate attraction was the extremely low airfare across the Pacific. Happily they did not skimp on quality. The check-in counter at SEA opened early and worked efficiently to get passengers checked in. I took a lot of luggage (98 pounds to check in, about 20 pounds of hand-carry), and they did not bat an eye. There was a good selection of special meals available (by pre-order), and decent white & red wines. The flight from Seattle to Xiamen was not crowded, and there were normal amenities in the economy section. The cabin crew was very efficient in service and attentive to passenger comfort. There was a pretty good selection of in-flight movies. For transit passsengers with longer layovers in Xiamen, they offer free hotel accommodations. I would use them again.

5  Thank Cedric Y
Reviewed 15 January 2018

This was the first time I flew Xiamen Airlines. I find it not too bad. When I booked the flight and couldn't reserve a seat, I called the airlines and the staff said, that was correct, so I emailed the manager and I got my seat. On board the flight, the flight attendants were friendly and prompt, though with no smile! The meals on board were okay too! The seat itself was just like any other airlines with a good seat and enough leg room. My son is 5 feet 9 and he finds it enough room. On the whole, no complaints!

1  Thank Pauline C
Reviewed 11 January 2018

First time flying Xiamen Airlines from Singapore to Vancouver with layover in Xiamen. This is the only city I've been to without a "sterile connection"; the connection is inconvenient.

Even we were not entering China, transmit passengers must first pass Chinese immigration and then customs (to enter China) then go to the check in counter and check in (cannot get onward boarding passes at point of origin), then pass through immigration to leave China, and finally security before reaching the gate.

This process took almost two hours.

The airline itself is "OK". The cabin crew were very eager to please. Not a huge number of English movies.

The ticket was worth the price ... if they could only fix the transit at XMN.

3  Thank Danny_jp
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

We booked Xiamen because it flew a red eye out of LAX to Bangkok with a layover in Xiamen, China that wasn’t too long.

Problems arose quickly when I discovered there were no online services for Non-Chinese customers meaning no online check in, no online boarding passes, no seat selection.

The ticket counter opens 3 hours before departure and arriving there early is the best way to ensure you sit with those your traveling with.

Xiamen airport in China lacks many services and you have to go through customs twice, there is some English on the signs so we were able to find where to go pretty easily but there weren’t many staff members around offering assistance if we’d had trouble.

The positives were that they checked our bags through to the destination, the food was good and 3 meals were served on the transpacific flight, the in-flight entertainment was good and surprisingly varied and the flight attendants were cordial.

Overall, I’d fly Xiamen again if it was significantly cheaper than the other Carriers or is the only one with the departure times i need.

Hope this helps!