“Great flight, terrible food”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I fly often on Westjet and am usually very satisfied, but the food both there and back was disgusting and inedible in premium economy. I was shocked at the poor quality. On my last flight in December from the UK, the food was quite fine so this was a real disappointment. Westjet needs to fire their caterer and start again. Everyone around me felt the same way and in the end it was a huge waste. Shame on Westjet, normally an excellent airline.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank ritegirl
Write a ReviewReviews (11,658)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Cheap, affordable flights. No free meals on board but plenty of drinks. Full duty free service. Some planes have in seat entertainment - others don't. For short transatlantic flights at a very cheap price (half the price of the National Airlines) you can't go wrong. Easy check in. Pay for you luggage at the airport.

Date of travel: September 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We recently returned from a trip to new Orleans. It was a long flight there with a lot is stops but was ok. WS doesn’t fly to new Orleans so the leg from LAX to New Orleans was delta. On the way there, our luggage was checked free of charge on our WestJet MAsterCard. On our return, Delta charged us $30 USD per piece. We were told by the gate attendant from west jet that we should pay with our MasterCard and we would be reimbursed but for now, we had to follow the luggage allowance for Delta. On returning home, we are told that’s not the case and that we have to pay it due to being a partner airline. So beware of percs offered with the MasterCard as they only apply if their partners are where you are checking in.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I just wanted to share a flight policy that apparently applies to many airlines but specifically to Westjet.

If you have a round trip booked and you cannot make (for whatever reason) your departing flight - CALL TO CANCEL. Otherwise, they will automatically cancel your return flight.

See, I made the mistake of not "educating myself on the flight policies" as per the westjet manager I spoke with on the phone. She was very condescending and rude. It was an honest mistake that came with a one way back to Calgary at 672$.

I'm sharing this since I spoke with a few people who, like me, had no idea this was a policy. Oh and also, as per the westjet manager request, "make sure you say in your post you got a basic fare". So yes, I originally purchased a cheap ticket.

So why did I not cancel? I had a last appointment booked with a reputable veterinarian (my 5 year old dog has lymphoma) 3 hour drive one way from where I live and thought maybe I could still make the flight. I didn't make it and it completely slipped mind after the long drive. Plus, I had already planned for option B.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’m leaving this here to say that of all the airlines I’ve flown, WestJet has got to be the WORST airline company in its totality. Some of the staff are just absolutely disgusting. I was forced to pay for a checked in bag that ironically met the carry-on size requirements. The unprofessional woman, who’s known as Jeanine, said she’d refuse me to get through the gate and onto the plane if I hadn’t checked my bag in and proceeded to say that she’s been working for the company for 8 years so she knows exactly what she’s talking about. As a frequent traveler I’ve never, EVER, in my life have had to deal with something like this. This woman was racist, unprofessional and extremely sarcastic. Upon asking a couple workers for corporates number, I was met with the same bland response “just dial 1-888-WestJet.” No sympathy, no attempts for reconciliation, no option to check in a bag for free (which they did offer customers at the gate). I will NEVER fly WestJet again and I hope those who read this are deterred to book with them. You’ll deal with nasty people and a boatload of delays! Save yourself the hassle.

1  Thank Chelsea R