“Enjoy Westjet and their good service”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We like to fly WestJet packages when we travel. They have clean planes with enough leg room. The food we order on board is pretty good. One time there was a hurricane and WestJet called us and helped us to rebook to another destination quite easily. Great service.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (10,180)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I fly WestJet twice every month for business and because their service is always impeccable, it is natural to choose WestJet when we fly for pleasure. I am a WestJet member and love that the points can be used just like dollars with no blackout days.
We cashed in points to fly to Florida and received the same great service any paying customer did. The WestJet app is great and easy to use. Pilots always provide good details during flights and flight attendants are friendly, personable and always helpful. We haven’t used any other airline for a few years because WestJet has expanded so many new routes. And, members get one free checked bag each so we haven’t paid for baggage either!

1  Thank Reetmarie
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flight was uneventful...no problems. Biggest issue was waiting over an hour for baggage at FLL. Airport wasn't busy, so such a delay was definitely unnecessary. Also the customs process in Toronto is the worst setup I've seen at any international airport. Slow, no real control and completely disorganized.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Westjet staff were efficient, friendly and helpful with any questions upon checking and boarding. The staff on board the flight were the same. An overall excellent experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I doubt I’ll ever fly with WestJet again, at least not on one of their 737-600/-700 series planes! I paid $170 extra for a ‘Plus Economy’ seat, the only offering WestJet has other than standard Economy. Their website says the seats are larger, have more legroom, meals are served etc. What a crock!

Instead the seats are NARROW — ‘Plus Economy’ seats are effectively just three economy seats with the middle one used for an arm/drinks rest. They are certainly not equivalent to Premium Economy or Business Class (or First Class on US airlines). None of these seats have open or movable arms, which means you can’t ‘spread’ a little past the width of the arms. You’re boxed in. There may be a tad more leg room, but there’s NO more width. When you pay a lot extra for seats that are described on their website as being bigger, you expect slightly wider seats. Those in economy had no shoulder or bum room, and were very up close and personal with their neighbours.

Plus Economy also boasts a ‘meal’ for flights over 2.5 hours (mine was a 4-hour flight). That meal for breakfast was a boxed turkey wrap (stale and cold; ‘use by’ date the next day) or a boxed ham and cheese croissant. With it came some packaged apple slices that had a ‘use by’ date two days previous. The flight attendant didn't care.

As far as I know, there was no inflight entertainment. There was a tiny screen (maybe 5" wide?) that looked like it came out of the 1990s, which had a credit card slider on the outside of it, and I have no idea if there was entertainment or not -- it was too far to reach as a touch screen, and as far as I know there were no in-seat controls. I have no idea what the credit card slider was for.

I did online check-in, and in hindsight this was a bad move. The online process takes several minutes (including adding you passport details), and when you get to the airport, you still have to do the kiosks to get bag tags. At these kiosks you have to re-enter much of the info you already entered online. When the bag tags gets printed, there are no instructions as to how and where to attach them, and the printed boarding pass is on super flimsy paper -- the stub of mine tore off almost immediately. Fortunately I kept the stub -- the security check person said they wouldn't have allowed me through without that. Bag drop is another area with few instructions. You get told to put the bag on, then the machine tries to scan the bag tag barcode, with variable success. My first bag scanned OK after I moved it, but my second bag would not scan for at least 10 attempts. I moved the bag, turned it over, made sure the tag was visible to scanner etc. and still it was rejected. Until finally it wasn't -- I did nothing different to the bag to make it finally go through, and was starting to get stressed about it. The only person helping passengers was at one of their 20 or so kiosks -- there was no-one helping at the bag drop stations. It would've been much quicker to do in-person check-in, where the person attending you knows what to do.

This was an international flight from Canada to the US. You clear US immigration and customs in Calgary, so when you land at Houston, you're classed as a domestic flight. Clearing US formalities in Canada means you have several more layers of security to go through -- Canadian then US. But forget TSA Pre -- even if you have it on your ticket (as I did), there are NO TSA Pre lines because Canada doesn't have TSA Pre! I don't know why the airline bothers to allocate TSA Pre because it doesn't exist at Calgary. (Note: As an Australian citizen, I can't get TSA Pre -- only the randomly assigned TSA Pre on check-in.)

Date of travel: November 2018