“Uneventul Flight”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Westjet 3213 is a regularly scheduled early evening Westjet flight from Toronto Pearson to Thunder Bay. I normally travel Porter or Air Canada between these two places but settled on Westjet for a change.

Westjet’s flights leave from Terminal 3 at Pearson. After clearing security, getting to the departure area requires a moderate trek using a series of escalators etc. These gates are for the smaller planes, and require walking out onto the tarmac.

We left a few minutes late, but nothing major.

Westjet’s flights to and from Thunder Bay feature the inevitable Bombardier Q400, which is no doubt more economical for the operator. But it is cramped and noisy for the passengers. Westjet’s versions appear to be newer, with slightly different-looking seats. It also appears that the cabin luggage racks were smaller, as many people were not able to get their carryons to fit, or only with difficulty.

We got there to Thunder Bay without any incident, so that was the end of it. Routine flights are always the best kind, even if the experience otherwise has little to recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,700)

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Just a heads up. You have to PAY to pre-select your seats. Seats are between $8-$42 depending on where you're traveling from. I had to find out the hard way.

If you're okay with waiting 24 hours to pre-select your seats the day before departure, then go for it. Personally I prefer to select ahead.

2  Thank SoloSamD
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Flew non-stop toronto to liberia, Costa Rica. Service was good, crew friendly, flight on time. Only downer were a couple crying kids the whole way down and all the way back. Parents need to learn when young babies are hungry or tired to let them sleep instead of trying to entertain them. Also, bringing food from home saves a lot of money buying on the plane. Same on the return, go to the grocery store and buy sandwiches, snacks instead of getting food from the airport or in flight. The sports bar in Liberia was very expensive, a doubl burger, soda and 2 slices cheese pizza were $30. Sandwich from the grocery store was $2. One thing I was not aware, WestJet does not pay departure tax in Costa Rica. You have to pay at airport ( $29 USD/pp)

• Seat comfort
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank eezydivr
Reviewed 23 October 2017

WestJet used to be our favorite airline. This year we flew to Jamaica in January, Florida in February and California in March, for a total of three trips in three months, all on WestJet.

A screaming baby and then a toddler seated beside our PLUS seats dominated two of the flights. We paid extra money for PLUS seats. Too bad WestJet chose to put a family with a baby directly behind the PLUS seat section. There were 18-20 kids on one of the flights and most were seated towards the rear of the plane. Why not have a "Family Section" where all children could be in the same area with parents who are more tolerant? The second nightmare flight involved a family with a screaming ten month old baby who was seated directly across from us. I can't say much about this incident because they were in the PLUS section, just as we were. However, it was a long, almost unbearable, nerve-wracking flight. Unless it's an emergency, I don't know why families choose to fly with babies. I'm sure the air pressure hurts their little ears, among other discomforts they likely experience. These babies were obviously in distress.

On one of the flights, the baby shrieked and screamed for more than 20 minutes before take-off and then throughout the flight. I ordered an alcoholic beverage to try and calm my nerves. My spouse had only one beer but I passed one of my drinks to him, while he was waiting for service. When I ordered the third drink, after a few hours of listening to the crying baby across the aisle, I was rudely informed by the flight attendant that "it would be my last one". I never knew that five drinks between TWO people, on a long flight, would be considered "excessive" !! In fact, I normally have only a total of two drinks but the stress of this screaming child made me feel that I needed more. (A sedative would have helped !). On one of the flights, I recall seeing a passenger in the PLUS section who was consuming MANY alcoholic beverages and no flight attendant ever told him that he'd "had enough". We paid for regular seat selection (not refundable) followed by a much higher fee for PLUS seats, and I certainly did not expect an agonizing flight plus a rude attendant for the amount of money we paid on each of these three return flights.

Some of the food left much to be desired. Certain pieces of fruit in the salad were tainted and not edible. The wrap was mostly dough with very little filling, just to name a few things that fell below par. We pointed these issues out to the flight attendant.

I wrote a letter to WestJet outlining the various problems we encountered on two of the flights. I provided extensive details regarding flight numbers, seat selection, etc. WE NEVER HEARD A WORD from them. Full charges were posted on our VISA account which we paid. No compensation was offered for the additional cost of unsatisfactory PLUS seating. The courtesy of a reply from WestJet would have been much appreciated. We have been loyal WestJet customers for years. We are disappointed in their lack of concern along with lack of an apologetic response.

1  Thank MKS2010
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I would fly west jet any time we have a chance. The plane has ample legroom and the staff were friendly. helpful and the beverages and snacks offered by the airline was great. On the way back home I didn't like how the airline booked the seats, it was first come first server. I think it was because of the airport not airline. But I mentioned it to the west jest rep. and she more than to care of it. offering me a excellent seat.

• Seat comfort
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)