“Redemption”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I flew United shortly after Hurricane Michael. I was trying to see about my parents' home. In a word, it was a disaster. (The house was too). Top to bottom, an unmitigated disaster. Late flights, nasty gate agents, clueless flight attendants. I wound up having to stay at a hotel in Houston due to the madness. United comped me $150 for my troubles. I recently flew with them again (to use my comp) and it was like night and day. Everyone was so friendly and nice. Excellent! I cannot say whether I will choose them again, however. If it is my only option, yes.

Date of travel: January 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (37,821)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Full fare business class seat and flight was canceled for mechanical reasons. Last flight out from STL and no compensation offered even though the issue was the airline's fault. No apology given. Since then there have been so many horror stories about this airline that I don't think i will fly again.

Date of travel: February 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The seat was bigger and offered more leg room, as it should. Apart from a less restrictive luggage policy, which didn't really have an impact on me, as I was only using a carry-on, there wasn't anything special about flying First/Business.

Well, there was complimentary drinks. However, my drink of choice is cognac and UNITED has eliminated it from its drink inventory, at least for domestic flights (I just flew UNITED this weekend to LA and back, well actually, I flew into John Wayne in Orange County, but returned from LAX, and they also did not stock cognac and said it is no longer available). So, this was disappointing! Why not accommodate every First Class passenger, whether a domestic flight or not (and I do not know if they provide it on international flights, as lately I try to fly NORWEGIAN when flying internationally, which I have also reviewed)?

What I was mostly disappointed in was the food service. It was not only limited and uninteresting, but basically inedible. Now, if this were coach, its what might be expected, but in the First Class cabin? Can't they serve decent and interesting food when the fares are so much higher?

The entertainment choices were meager. And the WiFi was a joke. When connected I couldn't access anything. What a total waste (and it didn't even work at all this past week when I flew to Orange County).

So, why three starts at all then? Well, the planes were clean, the flights were on-time, the landings, flights, and take-offs smooth, and at least the attendants were courteous, given they had so little to work with that I found pleasing. Otherwise, I'd have no reason to recommend UNITED. I also have a significant FF mileage accumulation on UNITED and anytime I've looked to use my miles I'm generally disappointed by the miles needed, the availability, or both.

As Newark is my closest airport and a UNITED hub, this is a lousy outcome. Frankly, the FF program I joined was with CONTINENTAL and they were a better airline before the UNITED merger.

Date of travel: November 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me start by saying... the worse flying experience I have ever encountered (and I have been travelling every year for about 90% of my lifetime).

With less than 24-hour notice my flight was delayed for 13 hours from SBN. When I landed in Chicago the second leg of my flight was cancelled. When I went to the United help desk the first time (located Upstairs) I received little to no help and was told that I will have to stay in the airport until the next day at 2 pm when the next available flight left.
*Note: I had travel plans the next day travelling to another country.
I was not satisfied, so, I waited about 2 hours until the shift change, went back, and this attendant was even worse.

At this point, I gave up and went downstairs to wait until the service desk on that floor was open. Four hours went by when the service desk finally opened I told them to provide me with a flight that will get me as close to my final destination as possible. This attendant was not only able to do so, but also provided me with a hotel and food vouchers.

I haven't used the airlines since. And, I will not recommend it to anyone.

Date of travel: August 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The flight was delayed more than two hours due to air traffic control.

The more frustrating thing is the inflight WiFi quality. The WiFi service cost about $20 but it was so spotty that I couldn’t catch up my work during my flight.

During the flight, part of the wall fell down. Scary.

Date of travel: January 2019