“Travelling on UNITED First Class doesn't get a traveler all it should!”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The seat was bigger and offered more leg room, as it should. Apart from a less restrictive luggage policy, which didn't really have an impact on me, as I was only using a carry-on, there wasn't anything special about flying First/Business.

Well, there was complimentary drinks. However, my drink of choice is cognac and UNITED has eliminated it from its drink inventory, at least for domestic flights (I just flew UNITED this weekend to LA and back, well actually, I flew into John Wayne in Orange County, but returned from LAX, and they also did not stock cognac and said it is no longer available). So, this was disappointing! Why not accommodate every First Class passenger, whether a domestic flight or not (and I do not know if they provide it on international flights, as lately I try to fly NORWEGIAN when flying internationally, which I have also reviewed)?

What I was mostly disappointed in was the food service. It was not only limited and uninteresting, but basically inedible. Now, if this were coach, its what might be expected, but in the First Class cabin? Can't they serve decent and interesting food when the fares are so much higher?

The entertainment choices were meager. And the WiFi was a joke. When connected I couldn't access anything. What a total waste (and it didn't even work at all this past week when I flew to Orange County).

So, why three starts at all then? Well, the planes were clean, the flights were on-time, the landings, flights, and take-offs smooth, and at least the attendants were courteous, given they had so little to work with that I found pleasing. Otherwise, I'd have no reason to recommend UNITED. I also have a significant FF mileage accumulation on UNITED and anytime I've looked to use my miles I'm generally disappointed by the miles needed, the availability, or both.

As Newark is my closest airport and a UNITED hub, this is a lousy outcome. Frankly, the FF program I joined was with CONTINENTAL and they were a better airline before the UNITED merger.

Date of travel: November 2018
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (37,983)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me start by saying... the worse flying experience I have ever encountered (and I have been travelling every year for about 90% of my lifetime).

With less than 24-hour notice my flight was delayed for 13 hours from SBN. When I landed in Chicago the second leg of my flight was cancelled. When I went to the United help desk the first time (located Upstairs) I received little to no help and was told that I will have to stay in the airport until the next day at 2 pm when the next available flight left.
*Note: I had travel plans the next day travelling to another country.
I was not satisfied, so, I waited about 2 hours until the shift change, went back, and this attendant was even worse.

At this point, I gave up and went downstairs to wait until the service desk on that floor was open. Four hours went by when the service desk finally opened I told them to provide me with a flight that will get me as close to my final destination as possible. This attendant was not only able to do so, but also provided me with a hotel and food vouchers.

I haven't used the airlines since. And, I will not recommend it to anyone.

Date of travel: August 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The flight was delayed more than two hours due to air traffic control.

The more frustrating thing is the inflight WiFi quality. The WiFi service cost about $20 but it was so spotty that I couldn’t catch up my work during my flight.

During the flight, part of the wall fell down. Scary.

Date of travel: January 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Date: Oct 5, 2018
Route: FRA - ORD

The flight was nice. A plane was a bit tired, but in general it was good. Cabin crew were very professional and friendly. Food was moderate, but I think it is normal thing for this airline.

Date of travel: October 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Every aspect of this flight was awful. At check in our booking number was not accepted. We asked a staff member for help and she also could not get it to work. She referred us to the main desk. After a lengthy wait we were told that we must be doing it wrong and to go back and try again. We did and the same happened. Finally they checked us in at the desk. We were flying to Houston and then on with AirNZ to Auckland and then Adelaide. United would not put our luggage through to Adelaide and we had to recheck in at Houston (which was also awful). My son with same flights had his put through to Adelaide. On Boarding my one piece of correct size and weight hand luggage was taken from me, their reasons that the flight was full. I had all my medication and other necessities for a long flight in it. My son had 2 large pieces of hand luggage on same flight and was allowed to have both with him. The flight was uncomfortable, staff were unfriendly and facilities are tired. Upon arriving in Adelaide none of our luggage arrived until the next day. On the way over our luggage on our United flight from LA to Washington also did not arrive until the following day. I will avoid this airline if I possibly can!!

Date of travel: December 2018