“United Flights were OK”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 23 October 2018

The United flights were OK. Recently the Direct flight to Charleston, WV was changed to arriving after 10 PM. Previously it was earlier in the day. Options for ground transportation after 10 PM in Charleston are not as viable as day time options. So, I took a flight from Houston to Washington Dulles and a connecting flight to Charleston. There is not much time between flights at Dulles. IAD is a busy place. I barely made my flight.

I will say though the flight from Dulles to Charleston on United Express was quick and ahead of schedule. I prefer a direct flight but ,this was OK.

My luggage arrived safe and on time.

Using the United APP does save time especially with the boarding pass.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (35,346)

Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

United Airlines, I took in October... The flight back was better than the departing flight. The departing flight I didn't get a window seat so I was " upset " over that.
The return flight, the ride was smooth, I was tired, I went to sleep and before love, we were landing.
I will recommend the airline to anyone.

Date of travel: October 2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018

When your first flight in a multi flight trip is delayed or canceled, you or your luggage will miss all connecting flights. This seems to be occurring more often as this occurred to us departing and returning.

Date of travel: September 2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018

With the meetings in San Diego complete, on June 12, we headed back to SAN, for our flight to Los Angeles (LAX), then a connecting flight to home, in Phoenix (PHX). We flew UA5451 (operated by SkyWest dba United Express) from SAN to LAX, on an EMB-175 (N119SY) in First Class, Seats 2C & D.

We arrived at SAN in plenty of time, and as we had a rather short layover at LAX, for our homeward connection to PHX, decided to just spend some time exploring the airport. Also, as we knew that the UAX flight would not have Champagne, or any “bubbles,” we spent time at the SAN UA Club (small, but lovely), Beaudevine (first encountered it here, but now seek those bars out, in many airports), and also PGA Tour Restaurant, which we had seen on an earlier flight to SAN. We made the rounds, and had an enjoyable time in the airport, prior to our flight.

One thing that we had missed on our previous trips to/through SAN was an animated ceiling in T2. Maybe we just never looked up before, as we were rushing to catch a plane, or retrieve our luggage. Very nice, and very interesting.

The little EMB-175's are replacing the smaller CRJ-200's and 700's on some of the routes we fly, and we have grown to like the plane. We like that it has true FC, though in an asymmetrical 1-2 configuration. It has largish overhead bins, but ONLY on the starboard side, above the C & D seats. The bins above the A seats (there are no B seats in FC on the EMB-175) are tiny, but my small briefcase fits nicely there. However, anything larger than that briefcase, or a medium-sized purse, will not fit. My wife’s wheeled briefcase fits easily in the bins on the starboard side. Also, the EMB-175 has a closet to hang up my jacket.

We boarded on-time at Gate 41, and would land at Gate 71B at LAX (so Terminal 7), which was nice, especially as our flight to PHX would depart from LAX 71B – though on a different EMB-175. We would not have far to go to make our connection! We noticed that the UA boarding area still had the older-style boarding lanes, for Groups 1 through 5. Recently, we had encountered the new configuration, with only two lanes, 1 & 2. When those Groups have boarded, the lanes become 3 & 4, with Group 5 boarding last. The new configuration seems to make the boarding area less crowded, but a few of the Gate Agents indicate that there is also some confusion, and that not all passengers like the new configuration. We happen to like it, being in Group 1 – less congestion, IMHO.

This 109 mile flight was quick, though with clouds, there was not too much to see, unfortunately, until we got closer to LAX. Flying United, often means that we take a couple of flights, as our home airport, PHX, is not a hub – so we fly through LAX (or sometimes SFO) for flights like this, SAN to PHX.

This ship had PDE (Personal Device Entertainment) featuring streaming content via one’s personal device. This service is free, but we did not bother with it, for such a short flight. It also had WiFi, for a fee, but we also did not use that.

There was a quick snack basket, and beverage service, but as we had already had wine at SAN airport, we declined.

We landed at LAX (Gate 71B) a bit early, so headed to the Corona Beach House for wine, during our brief layover. A nice, albeit short flight, with zero complaints.

Date of travel: June 2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018

As you can see by my title of my review, United First Class on shorter routes, around 2 hours or less is like riding a Greyhound Bus. They have switched to the smaller jets, usually the Embraer EMB 170, which offers first class, one seat on one side and two seats on the other side, 3 rows of 9 seats max. Not much seat room at all and no real leg room. No full meal service is served on most of these flights, basket of chips,pretzels, nuts and if you're lucky a banana or apple to choose from. I asked for a banana on the return flight and the flight attendant, said and I quote, "this is to short flight to stock fruit", so eating a banana takes more than 2 hours ! United has gone so far down hill on first class, I am surprised they even classify it as first class. More like coach with a little more room and the cost is their standard first class charge. I am switching to Delta or American next time and making sure it's at least an 737. The service is deplorable and they may come down the aisle a few times during the flight.

Date of travel: September 2018