“Great Flight”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 6 April 2018

It was a smooth flight and the cabin attendants were courteous and accommodating. The flight left on time and I arrived at my destination ahead of schedule! And an additional plus 'no crying children'.

1  Thank the1actor
Write a ReviewReviews (28,881)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Due to a confluence of delays and technical issues, what should have been a 5 hour trip with one connection turned into a 20 hour odyssey. I left hotel at San Juan around 1am trying to get back to DC by 7 something am with about an hour layover at Newark.

First the SJU to Newark flight was delayed, causing me to miss the connection to IAD. Couldn’t Amtrak because the 737’s tiny overhead bins apparently couldn’t accommodate my carryon even though I fit it in just fine on my way to SJU on another 737. I just had to follow my bag because a lot of work stuff was in there.

They put me on an 11 something flight for Boston that connected to a 2:22 flight to IAD. New ETA at IAD: 4:20.

The engine on flight to Boston literally couldn’t get started. We deboarded at one point only to reboard around 12:50. Plane had trouble starting until about 1:15. I asked to get off the plane since I had no chance of making the 2:22 connection and wanted to get on next direct flight to DC.

Nope. Doors closed. They succeeded in starting the engine and I flew off knowing I’d miss the connection. We landed just in time for United app to tell me my flight to IAD left the gate at Boston.

I ended up getting on a 7:30 something flight from BOS to IAD and arrived around 9:20, just about 14 hours behind original schedule.

Moral of story: avoid connecting flights unless absolutely necessary. If I just compromised and took any of the direct flights that landed around noon in IAD from SJU or waited for the next direct flight to IAD from EWR that puts me in IAD, I would not find myself somehow in a taxi in DC traffic at 10pm.

1  Thank Itracelforfood
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Lady at the airport checkin was great, but that was the last positive encounter I was greeted with by United representatives. The other issue is the additional charges to obtain services that at most other airlines are included with the flight! Not a good flight experience.

1  Thank Al S
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Nice Flights including connecting through and return through Houston. Flight attendants plus staff at airports were helpful, too. Older airplanes on my way out; and newer ones on my return. All were Boing 737 variations which to me are nice airplanes. All airplanes on my flights were clean both at my seats and restrooms, too.

Seating A Bit Cramped. Now, I am small and petite, 5' 5" tall and 101 pounds; even at my small size I found the seating a bit cramped compared to those on United's competitors whom I've flown several times over the past year or so.

Too Many Commercials. No way to turn off the screen directly in front of you; and I was bombarded with "swipe your card now" for Direct TV and its shows or movies. Flashing bright then dimmer; it made it so hard for me to take a nap on my flight. Plus I really don't like commercials.

So you pay for the flight plus the "privilege" of being bombarded with commercials. Including one from some dentist in California (I live in Florida) who's going to give you a "new smile " via his dentistry. Really? He's in California - and I'm to be smacked in my face and ears with his repeated commercials that I cannot turn off. Please help me United.

United is not the worst airline nor the best for travel in my experience.

PS regarding food and snacks, I am Vegan and United does have a snack option which is Vegan - and they label it as being Vegan - which is a credit to them and a plus for me.

Will I fly United again? Maybe. But if I can pay the same or even a few dollars more to get a flight without the incessant commercials - and perhaps some more seat room - then I'll go with one of United's competitors. I am willing to pay a bit more. Especially to avoid the commercials and very especially the "swipe your card now" commercials for Direct TV.

Do I recommend United for You dear Traveler? Your choice about the TV shows and movies. If you like them, then please consider United. If you want to avoid the TV and movies on your flights, like me; and especially if you don't like commercials in your face; then consider your other options for flying.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

No complaints from the airlines, except these flights cost us a LOT of miles! We flew to Turks and Caicos for our spring break. The airport in Turks is tiny, so we were delayed about an hour both ways due to traffic at Turks airport. To compensate on the way down, they did give us free seatback entertainment. On the way home to Chicago, our flight offered no seatback entertainment. Kind of surprising considering how expensive these flights were! Flight times were good, and it is great having direct flights from Chicago.