“Cheap? It's basically like an À la carte restaurant!”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We decided to try Spirit because of the price. Didn't turn out so well. By the time we paid for our luggage the price was no less then any other carrier. The seats are so close to the ones in front and they don't recline, and you are charged for pretty much everything. The flight attendants were great and very funny. The only thing worth laughing about.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (8,765)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Use spirit all the time for my son to go between newark nj and myrtle beach. He is a college student so this pay for what you want is a less expensive way to get home when needed. Took flight home to NJ and the flight was cancelled and earliest flight was next day. Only use this airline if not important to be somewhere like home for spring break or summer. I used United flight one way to get him to a wedding in Maine because timing of flight imperative and didn't need one more thing to worry about but flew him back on Spirit because timing didn't matter. Airline was fine, but anticipate paying for what you want.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great flights round - trip. Excellent crew, very kind and hospitable, more so than the staff at Our unforgettable experience at the Hilton Lake Bueno Vista Disney Springs! Spent over $1,000.00 before even stepping off the plane. ( Airline tickets, Hilton Lake Bueno Vista Disney Springs Room ) Just wish we would have stayed somewhere else... never again!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

My wife and I took Spirit Airlines to L/V in March of this year. We saved some money on the airfare but the $200 fee for your luggage cut into any savings that we had for taking Spirit Airlines. It was one of the most uncomfortable flights I have ever been on. The seats were very narrow. You felt like the person beside you was sitting in part of your seat. You nothing free like a soft drink or a snack and is was a 51/2 hour flight but you know this up front before you purchase your ticket. The only reason would fly Spirit again is because it'sa direct flight to L/V

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Sitting with my daughter far from the departure gate of a delayed Spirit flight after a short 4 day stay with my 81 year old mother, I was approached by a flight attendant after she purchased her burrito and soda pre-flight. She told me my dog's crate would not fit under my seat and if I was on her flight she'd have to turn me away. I was checked in already with boarding pass in and and not in any line of hers...my daughter, the reason we have a service dog, was sitting next to me doing homework. I explained that I had flown Spirit six times with the same dog and the same crate and it fits quite nicely. She scoffed and said again "well I know it won't fit and I'd have to turn you away." Well she can't turn me away, my dog is permitted as a documented service animal. Another blatant ignorance and sadly lack of empathy of some people about anyone with special needs. Then I saw her point me out to the group of flight attendants far away at the check in desk - as I patiently but nervously awaited the board to read some useful information. The flight still showed on time although it was less than 20 minutes prior to "scheduled takeoff" and we had not yet boarded. There were no emails sent about the gate change that we had already experienced and none about any delays...Anxious about having to move to some unannounced far off gate due to last minute gate change (common on Spirit flights) finally the board changed to say delayed by 45 minutes. When we eventually got in line to board, we were towards the back of the line. I was asked to get out of line as my service animal was not on my boarding pass. Apparently someone downstairs who checked my bags was supposed to have done that and didn't. So now I was inconvenienced after having already been stressed with the long delay and the unfriendly, non factual remarks of the flight attendant. Once on board, I tried to avoid her. However, she was our server for food. My daughter who has health issues affected by lack of food and stress, was starving due to the long delay and unannounced delay - we could not feel secure in going off to buy something. She was quite contritely nice to my daughter and was obviously controlling me (or trying to upset me) making me wait to order my snack box. Once she handed it to me, I asked for a napkin and she said - "In a minute" a if she was serving someone else - which she clearly was not and her hands were not full and nothing else was going on. She just choose to be controlling and mean. I then wished her well with all her family and hoped that she never needed a service animal. I wished her all the best health for herself and those in her family and she got very defensive, loudly announcing that she is all for "emotional support animals" and started to lie about the fact that back in the airport she simply was trying to help - telling me she would have just had to put the crate in the overhead - which is not what she said...and besides if that's what we would have needed to do with my dog on my lap - would I have complained? No because in the cramped can barely fit my five foot 4 legs behind the seat in front of me rows, I would have had nothing at my feet - I would have been overjoyed if she truly was trying to help. But we all know attitude and tone is what makes the difference - she wanted "at me". She didn't like my pocket book or my cute dog or my tan. It was not her intention to be "helpful". Her snide comments were in regards to my dog clearly being an Emotional Support animal as if it was not a real need and she saw my particular profile and decided to be a jerk. If she wanted to be helpful she would have sent me up to the desk in a kind voice saying - just go make sure you're properly registered - even that would have been odd since I told her that I had flown with the same crate on Spirit six times (was I making that up - I guess she thought I was an idiot). She caused myself and my daughter so much emotional distress I could sue Spirit if I wanted to. Simply I would prefer they not hire people like her - ignorant and not deserving of a job with any level of responsibility toward customers. I feel sad for her but she did ruin an otherwise short, expensive flight but pleasant Easter with my family. By the way, I flew the entire flight with the crate under the seat in front of me and my daughter's books tucked nicely on top of it!