“First Flight on South African Airways”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our flight on South African Airways was a connecting flight from Houston to Johannesburg through United Airlines, and via Wahington DC

We found the flight to Johannesburg to be a pleasant one. The flight was @ 17 hours, with an hour stop in Accra, Ghana. The check in, that included passport checks, was very easy. The staff was very accommodating and made the overnight flight quite comfortable. They were constantly serving us dinner, drinks, and more. Because the flight was an overnight one, we were supplied with blankets, socks, tooth brushes, toothpaste, as well as eye masks....in the economy section!

The aircraft was a new one, with comfortable seats with adequate leg room. It was equipped with very good entertainment options like movies, games, etc. that also made for a comfortable flight.

Because there was a stop in Accra, Ghana, the original flight staff changed. The staff was not as attentive as the original one, but there were no problems and we made it to Johannesburg without incident.

I would definitely recommend South African Airlines to anyone traveling to Africa.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,512)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have to admit I was disappointed with SAA. The aeroplane between Heathrow and Johannesburg is fairly new with the cabin nice and clean and some of the nicest economy toilets I’ve seen in a long time.

However the seats are really narrow and the legroom probably the smallest I’ve ever experienced in long haul. It’s so small that even as a size 10 I felt like I was constantly touching the gentleman in the seat next to me which made me feel very uncomfortable. I couldn’t get comfortable at all as the area is so tight. Having taken an overnight flight both ways this really had an impact with the least sleep I’ve had on a flight in ages.

The pros are you still get an amenity pack with eye mask, socks and toothbrush & paste which was good and something you don’t get on a lot of airlines these days.

Although the cabin crew offer plenty of drinks before and during dinner service including bottles of water, which is great, they offer absolutely nothing again until breakfast. Therefore there’s about 7 hours with no access to drinks unless you go to the crew area or press the service button so I was very dehydrated at the end of the flight.

I don’t think I would chose to fly with SAA again.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a short regular flight which is well practiced and hence is a smooth operation. Food and wine excellent. Staff very obliging, if not a bit slow, but that is their disposition.

1  Thank Burcottguy
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First, unlike all other routes for SAA when leaving from Botswana you are unable to checkin online via SA express. But travelling in the early morning (8am), by 6:30 the counter was still not open as the staff have to find their own transport to and from the airport, in a country where public transport does not go to the airport at all which lef to a delayed flight.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It seems the flight was full. Too full for a stewardess passing through economy to head to business class? perhaps. I couldn't tell who is there to help in which class. Maybe they need uniforms to distinguish who and who is not working in economy. I only needed help putting my 2 carry ons above since the spaces around my seats (a and c) were already taken by others. The lady shooed me and said a quick no, no, no. What does that mean when I am simply trying to keep bags put up?

We could have been giving water throughout since it was a 10 hour flight. they did not walk through the aisles every 2 hours to give water. One had to go to the back and get it or push that annoying button to ask for water. If they would just follow the protocol that BA does no one would have to walk to the back or bother to ring a bell.

and last but not least,
NO LANDING CARDS WERE GIVEN 1 HOUR BEFORE LANDING. tHIS MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. there ARE ONLY 4 TABLES INSIDE THE AIRPORT. if WE HAD BEEN GIVEN THE LANDING CARDS INSIDE, WE WOULD HAVE FILLED THEM OUT PRIOR TO GETTING TO THE IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT INSIDE THE AIRPORT.

wHO IS IN CHARGE OF ALL OF THIS??? Find a way to train them better.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)