“Excellent flight service”
Review of South African Airways

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Administration service is totally inadequate. They do not bother responding to email queries. Do not bother to ask questions by email as all you get is an automated response advising to wait for 10 days. After followup emails. . . Still no answers.
However. Ground staff and flight attendants are first class in friendliness efficiency and helpfulness. Legroom excellent (better than BA longhaul) and comfy.

There are newer reviews for South African Airways

Reviewed 14 August 2017

I must say that operators at ground are amazing - helpful, kind, and professional. I had a big problem arriving in Johannesburg - no visa, and I was supposed to move myself the baggage from another airline to them. Although I got the transit visa for this - the operator at the desk told me that she will proceed this for me, it's not my problem... and I trusted her, she was so professional. Next day, my baggage was in Gaborone, so many thanks, guys! The travel was around 50 min, in a tiny little plane, so nothing special to share...

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

To be fair, I'm going to post the same review on Air Namibia, between the airlines,they need to review and understand what a client is, including how an airline should treated any client.

We arrive early at Windhoek airport. My colleague is flying back to JHB in 2 hours and I'm flying in 4 hours back to Cape Town. We're sharing a rent a car.

At check in, Air Namibia asks me if I would like take an earlier unscheduled flight. Nobody tells me that it's with another airline, less luggage KG allowance and a very small plane. So as a client, I get excited and say yes.

I'm directed to Air Namibia client service where they manually write my name down on a sheet. We gather and then the lady that helped me, leads all the volunteers to SAA and a special queue. So far, everything working.

And so begins the client nightmare.

I get to the check in counter and I'm now 2kg overweight for the SAA small plane. If I stayed with my original flight on Air Namibia (an airbus), I would be within the allowance with a kg to spare. SAA says I must pay, I don't argue (I just want to get home as quick and smoothly as possible). I get a luggage printout and told to go to the counter and pay excess. My suitcase is dispatched.

I arrive at the Air Namibia client counter and she tells me that I must go to the SAA counter, which I do. The lady at the SAA counter says she can't let me pay because I don't have a computer system ticket for that flight (I've been manually added to this flight at the specific request of Air Namibia).

I go back to Air Namibia, they can't do anything, the lady at SAA now walks over to Air Namibia and in front of the client (me). Aggressively asks why they are sending Air Namibia clients to her without a ticket.

At this stage, I ask that I be put back onto my original flight with Air Namibia. They took me off the list and after two attempts to retrieve my suitcase, they find my suitcase after a long time and I check in with Air Namibia, exactly how I started 1 hour and +/- 30 minutes before.

So now I think it all done and over.

After shopping at duty free, I walk into the waiting area and hear my name announced. Apparently SAA still has had me on their list even though my boarding pass says Air Namibia and a different flight. I walk to Air Namibia boarding counter and they say, go to SAA.

At the SAA counter, the gentleman is angry, aggressive and as I approach to inform him that I'm actually not on their flight (I'm being courteous), he asks my name and as soon as I confirm, he merely states twice and aggressively (and I mean aggressively) that I've been offloaded from their flight, which I'm not on. I didn't need to inform another airline that there records are wrong and that my bags are not on their flight. I was expecting a thank you for informing them. It just goes to show, that I was never considered as a client or traveler.

If any friend asked me, how's the best way to fly to Namibia from South Africa, without hesitation I would say, consider BA, I fly them locally all the time, they don't consider you as a client, you are the client. It seems Air Namibia and SAA, don't have clients, merely irritations using their services.

3  Thank WCPT
Reviewed 13 August 2017

South African has the market for non-stops into Africa and due to time constraints on our outbound (work on one end- getting to table mountain before the cableway closed for maintenance on the other) we needed the shortest route possible. I was happy to know that there was a bid for an upgrade option, but I was saddened to know their minimum for the long haul. We did win the upgrade on the 2nd flight and we were very grateful because the lounge in Johannesburg was nice and we were able to sleep for the end of our journey. The food for the long haul was good and the seats seemed to have slightly more room than other carriers so overall it was good but the movie choices were lacking for such a long flight.

1  Thank FamilyFlight
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Small Aircraft. Be advised that the plane boards from the tarmac and probably from the rear. Like other flights in Africa, I wasn't able to check in on-line. Don't worry about it. Food is served. The food was good and I ate everything without any ill effects. They serve nice fruit juices.