“Just when you thought Jetstar couldn’t get any lower….”
Review of Jetstar Airways - Australia & New Zealand

Reviewed 11 May 2024

I have never written a negative review in my life, but my experience with Jetstar was UNBELIEVABLE and I need to warn everyone. Please read until the end because this gets wild.
Whilst checking in at 4am for my flight to Bali on a Friday, the Jetstar staff vigorously bent my passport back and forth and then walked off. She came back telling me, that she checked with her manager and I couldn’t fly because my passport was not in pristine condition. I was stunned and in disbelief and asked her to show me what the issue was. She said that the stitching on the photo page was visible and could come loose. She then told me to pay an additional $160 and she would put me on the 4:30pm flight that afternoon, and to get a taxi to the Passport Office in the city, to get a new emergency passport for approx. $700+.
I made a few phone calls and went to border security. They inspected my passport, and looked at me confused. He asked if I was joking – he didn’t understand the issue. He then went and got his Manager, who also inspected my passport. His Manager said that there is absolutely no reason why this passport cannot be used – there is no issue with the passport.
After sitting in the airport stranded for hours, I called the Australian Passport Office when they opened. They said that Jetstar should not have told me that I could get a passport in time for the afternoon flight (on the same day) as it takes at least 2 business days to get an emergency passport (which would be sometime Monday the following week).
I now realised that the Jetstar employee suggested I pay $160 for a flight change; and approximately $700 for an emergency passport; and travel back and forth to the Passport Office, when she would have known that it’s not possible to get a passport in time for that afternoon flight.
After I had time to process this information, and everything that had happened – I couldn’t help feeling that they had something against me. I never got angry or caused a scene. I was just in shock and disbelief. The staff I dealt with at Jetstar were cold and had zero empathy.
Instead of wasting my holiday (which was approx. $3000 in non-refundable bookings), I went to Garuda Airlines Helpdesk. I explained everything that had just happened to the Manager, asked if the next flight to Bali had any seats left and gave him my passport to thoroughly inspect back and front. He was also in disbelief (like Border Security) about what Jetstar had done. He was very empathetic, and I purchased a ticket on their next flight to Bali. This was a completely different experience with Garuda – the help desk (and flight experience) were amazing to deal with.
The passport inspections experience by the Customs Officers in Australia and Bali (for both entry and exit flights), were uneventful as there was nothing wrong with my passport.
I’ve never written a negative review like this, but what they put me through that day was appalling – Nobody should be financially punished, and forfeit your holiday due to incompetent staff.
If you want to wake up at 3am, be stranded at the airport, lose thousands of dollars, and not go on your holiday – fly with Jetstar.

• Food and Beverage
    • In-flight Entertainment

Reviewed 10 May 2024

they weighted your carry-on AND personal luggage for the combine weight of 7kg. If more than that they want A$75 per person with is more than your one-way ticket from SYD to CNS. This is ridiculous and humiliated. Want to see the CEO of this airline goes to the gate and have his/her luggage weighed to get the experience. nickel and dime the customers is BAD customer service.

• Food and Beverage
    • In-flight Entertainment
Reviewed 10 May 2024

Never ever Book tickets with jetstar, they will be cheaper while booking and even more expensive when you are at the boarding desk.

They have poor service, Stuff is very Disrespectful towards their customers, everything is cheaper like their prices but no quality . Airline has a record of Looting people on Boarding desks over little things.never ever go with them . I Don't recommend this to my friends and family.

Date of travel: April 2024
Reviewed 9 May 2024

I have no word to describe this company.
I spent one night at the airport as the plane was delayed. When onboarding I was made aware that there was an overbooking and there was no seat for me.
24 for hours later… the plane was again delayed…. Until it was cancelled after official departure time, at 1 am, as the crew was tired.
We had to buy a last minute ticket at Qantas and lost our hotel and jetstar refuses to compensate us.
I have no word to describe those delinquents.
Stephanie Tully the CEO should be brought to jail for enforcing such practises!
If you want to save money, buy a ticket from another company first, it will be less costly and you will be able to fly.

Reviewed 9 May 2024

Not good enough! My flight booking got screwed up and I rang the 09 number for nearly an hour and they kept saying it was Afterpay's fault. not good enough! Very frustrated.

Date of travel: April 2024
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.