“DO NOT FLY”
Review of Azores Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

WARNING: SATA is government owned, a monopoly, non commercial experienced. No point person representative to inform passengers when a flight is cancelled, delayed or otherwise. PLAN AT LEAST 2 TO 3 DAYS EXTRA TO GET OFF THE MAIN ISLAND ON RETURN FLIGHTS. SAME FOR THOSE TRAVELING TO THE AZOZES. You may want to consider double booking with RyanAirlines.

1  Thank winterport
There are newer reviews for Azores Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I fly weekly for work on other nicer US airlines and am delayed much more often than what I experienced with Azores. The staff at Boston airport were unfriendly and the flight attendants on the Boston to PD were the least friendly of the 4 flights we took w/ Azores, but all the other European airport staff and flight attendants were perfectly friendly. The airplanes are very old, but we knew this ahead of time and knew what to expect. The seats were fine. We brought eye masks and ear plugs and slept on the way to Portugal so I didn't experience the food. On the way back from Portugal, we had books to read and didn't mind that we didn't have a personal TV screen. It got us where we needed to go when we needed to go there and it was the least expensive option for prime August travel to Portugal.

1  Thank karenurosevich
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Two-hour delay departing Toronto. I understand that delays of this type are the norm.

Upon boarding, I was thoroughly disgusted with the cleanliness of the aircraft. I pulled my TV screen up to watch a movie. It didn't work. However, it was covered in sticky drippings from a thousand flights past. I shared my wife's TV in the next seat, It too was covered in sticky drippings. Ditto for our food tray when meal time came about.

The cloth seats were dirty and uncomfortable.

The cabin air temperature kept fluctuating from freezing cold to uncomfortably warm.

Azores Airlines flies tired old aircraft that were due for an update 10-years ago. I am glad that the rest of my journey to Funchal was with TAP.

Portugal, the Azores and Madeira are fantastic destinations. Azores Airlines is a national embarrassment. I will think twice about returning to Portugal if I have to fly SATA/Azores Airlines. In hindsight, there were no cost savings for flying with them, and any money you may save would be better spent flying with an alternative airline.

Their mobile app is useless too.

1  Thank 5a25
Reviewed 15 August 2017

SATA/Azores Airlines takes advantage of the fact that there is not another airline flying directly to Ponta Delgada from North America (Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Ponta Delgada). Due to this reason they can charge whatever they would like for a flight, be delayed almost always, and provide mediocre service as passengers do not have another choice. On top of this, labour strikes continue to plague the vacations of passengers who are forced to find alternatives and are never reimbursed.

1  Thank Eggoman1
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

I am always utterly amazed when someone in a uniform goes on a power trip.

We were asked to check in an extra half an hour early as we had sports equipment, however there was nowhere to specifically queue for our check in desk (3) so we queued with everyone else for desks 1-4.

We get to the front of the queue to be told by the woman on desk 1 that we are in the wrong queue. We then join the other queue, which is new and just formed only for the woman on desk 1 to start checking people in for our flight. We get to the front of the queue and she stops checking people in.

A little smile and civility can go a long way but this woman needs serious retraining to get anywhere near becoming polite!

We did as we were asked but were foiled at each turn