“One For the Books...”
Review of Royal Air Maroc

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I experienced something on this flight one normally reads about only on the news...but more on that in a bit.

I arrived at Casablanca Airport (CMN) with about 3 hours until my 11:30 am flight to Brussels. As is customary in most Arab countries, one must go through security before actually checking in. Have your passport and flight docs ready to present to the guard.

CMN is Royal Air Maroc's (RAM) hub and operates a huge check-in area in Terminal 2. I checked in the day before, but used the kiosk to obtain my boarding pass. I proceeded to security/immigration and an agent directed me to a line (it's nice there are people to direct instead of passengers wondering if they can approach or not). All in all, it took about 15 minutes for this process.

Once past, I made my way to the Pearl Lounge (accessible with Priority Pass). My boarding pass indicated boarding would commence around 10:50 am. After a final sip of coffee, I made my way to gate A2. Note A-gates use jet bridges while B- and C-gates use buses. The majority of RAM flights use A gates.

Once I arrived at my gate, I noticed boarding lanes for different groups. I was in group B and decided to join the fray. Our agent began to board families, people who needed extra time, and folks in business class. Then, things became heated...

As she continued to board people, a group of passengers (from a canceled Bordeaux-bound flight) ran up to our jet bridge door and staged a sit-in. NO JOKE. They stood in front of the door and demanded RAM do something for their canceled flight. In fact, this group was one of many that blocked other Europe-bound RAM flights. A family (from my flight) tried to board and almost got into a fight with one of the protestors.

Confused and alarmed, we all looked around and wondered where the police were. Fast forward 30 minutes and the protestors were STILL in front of the door. Police finally arrived, but DID NOTHING. I suppose they were just there to ensure no actual fighting broke out.

A RAM Manager finally arrived and started yelling at the protestors. One of the passengers from my flight then confronted the manager and those two started yelling.

Didn't I tell you? It's a situation you only read about...

50 minutes later and everyone is becoming unrest. I then hear a passenger from my flight yell that there's a new gate (in the C area). So we all run down to the new gate only to be chased by the protestors. Once we arrived at the new gate, the agent said our flight was not departing from here. Everyone is angry at this point when someone yells to go back to the original gate.

We all haul back to the original gate where they finally boarded all Brussels passengers. To my relief, I made it on the jet bridge, but everyone kept looking back to make sure the protestors didn't usurp the bridge.

Finally settled in my seat (to a full flight, no less), we taxied and departed an hour late for Brussels.

Service was fine, if not robotic; though, one flight attendant always had a smile on his face. They served a hot meal and I ate a chicken/rice dish along with tabbouleh, cake, a roll and water.

There's no entertainment so BYO, but the flight only lasted three hours. The interior has seen better days, but we made it safely and were only 45 minutes late into Brussels.

I paid USD$420 for this flight (including a connecting flight from Brussels to London).

What happened to me and us Brussels passengers is, in my hope, a one off. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend RAM, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to fly them again.

• Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
3  Thank _glbetrkkr_
Write a ReviewReviews (3,164)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travelling from Manchester in Xmas break, we arrived at check in, to be told pre booked seats were now no longer together. Apparently this some times happens....yeah right..
When I pre booked seats, which you now feel obliged to do the cabin was a 3 aisle 3 seat arrangement. When got on plane it was 2 by 2 …..The guy at check in said just ask someone to swap. I paid extra to ask someone to swap...Next time I will be less courteous. Plane was dated and it showed but everything else was what you'd expect. Pleasantly surprised was a lady captain.

Date of travel: December 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Regardless of giving you a free stop over at Casablanca what is a massive plus, this was the reason I have travelled with them.
Service is appalling, flight attendants rude and with sense of minimum customer service. I came from São Paulo to casablanca without watching anything as my screen wasn’t working and no one bothered to fix or ask if something else could have been done. Appalling!!!
I don’t recommend and won’t travel again! Simple

1  Thank prado_carlos
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I chose Royal Air Maroc because they had the best flight times based on my travel plans, but I would not recommend it. The plane was super old and it was dirty. My tray-table was disgusting. When I put the tray-table down when they were serving dinner there were crusts of spilled food all over it.
The worst, however, was the customer service. I wanted to upgrade to business class or first class, but no one would even try to help me. The guy at check-in said he couldn’t do it, handed me my boarding pass and told me to go to the sales counter. There was no one at the sales kiosk. I went to the kiosk right next to it and asked the attendant, who by the way was not busy at all and was just watching a video on her phone. This attendant told me she only handled excess luggage and couldn’t help me. I asked if she could get someone who could me help or if she knew when the sales kiosk would open, but she again replied with “I only handle excess luggage”. Asked at the check-in counter if I could upgrade (I’ve done that at other airlines), again I got a reply of “I only do check-in”. Stopped at customer service desk in Casablanca during my connection, and they said they only handled passengers with missed connections. Finally someone showed up at the sales counter in Casablanca, but the attendant was super rude and wouldn’t pull up my flight on her computer to take a look. She kept saying it was full and I couldn’t upgrade. She wouldn’t even look at her computer. Business class was definitely not full, because I saw lots of empty seats when I boarded the plane. She was just being lazy and unhelpful.
I’ve never seen this kind of behavior with another airline, where employees just do one single thing and won’t help you at all unless you need help with that very specific thing they do. They won’t even try to get someone else who might help.

1  Thank BBtravel123
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The flight was "okayish". Landed in Casablanca for a 12 hour layover that's when the nightmare started. There was nobody to direct passengers on transit to the correct location. I had to ask multiple people, most of whom do not speak English where to go for what. After a whirlwind tour of the airport i finally got to the room for long layover passengers. I was given a hotel voucher but without proper directions how to get to the spot for the hotel shuttle.

Date of travel: December 2018
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Abdul K K