“Qantas Horror Story”
Review of Qantas

Reviewed 16 April 2024

Booked Business Class on Qantas with my wife .Informed 30 minutes prior to my flight that I was downgraded to Economy and separated from my wife . No apology or compensation/refund offered by rude staff . My seat had been allocated to a junior staff member . Qantas ‘Brand’ has gone from first to 41st in the last 5 years .I can see why !

Reviewed 15 April 2024

Travelling from Vancouver to Sydney. Due to technical issues the flight diverted to Honolulu for 27 hours. Qantas has sent the same flight change text multiple times. We have a meal voucher. But no hotel vouchers or buses. The 2 staff on the ground are very nice but are not being kept up to date with hotels/buses. We have no idea what is happening and some people have babies. 250 odd people are just sitting at the bus terminal at the airport waiting with info/ time estimate. No water…. We cannot leave as we need info.

Other than this the actual flight was good.

Reviewed 12 April 2024

Having heard so many stories about the decline of QANTAS we were not expecting much for our BNE-PER flight. We however were very pleasantly surprised and loved the QANTAS service and experience.

QF Check-in staff polite and courteous at BNE. Easy transit through security.

Boarding was efficiently organised, and we quickly settled on board our B737-800 aircraft. Seating very comfortable. This older aircraft had no seatback IFE but an announcement on boarding (and the free Wi-Fi) told us to download the QANTAS entertainment ap, which we quickly did before a/c doors closed. A great line up of movies and TV shows which kept me entertained. Free (and fast) Wi-Fi in flight was a real bonus allowing me to catch up on emails and surf the internet.

Drinks service, then a hot meal offered. Then more drinks and later on a Kit-Kat snack.

Cabin crew very friendly and attentive.

Flight on time.

We left very impressed with our QANTAS flight.

Reviewed 12 April 2024

I booked a Business Class flight using my Frequent Flyer points on 9 June 2023 for travel on the 8.35pm direct flight from Sydney to Darwin on 9th April 2024.

I book Business Class seats because of my size and to be close to a toilet for health reasons.

On 9th February 2024 Qantas advised that my that they are no longer operating the 8.35pm direct flight on 9th April and gave me no reason but as they are operating this flight on other nights 11/12th April etc, it was probably because they had insufficient passengers booked on the flight which is understandable due to the high prices for flights to Darwin they are now charging.

I was moved to the 10.40am flight BUSINESS CLASS from Sydney to Adelaide to connect with the Adelaide to Darwin flight – a long travel day. As I could not make the 8.15am direct flight from a Cruise I was getting off at Circular Quay I made arrangements to be collected by a private car and taken to the airport instead of using the train (an additional cost).

What occurred when I got to the airport is inexcusable and disgraceful and Qantas should be ashamed of themselves for the following:
• At 9.15am I arrived at Sydney Airport, checked in and handed my luggage to a lovely lady on the Counter who handed me my two boarding passes for my Business Class flights – Syd-Adel and Adel-Darwin plus my luggage ticket – all good and great service
• I proceeded to the Business Class Lounge where I stayed until it was time to board the aircraft to Adelaide
• At 10.15am I proceeded to board the aircraft and was pulled up and told my seat has been changed and I am now sitting in seat 4E – a middle ECONOMY seat on a full plane – no explanation, no reason was given – bloody disgraceful
• I boarded and was told to take my new seat 4E and the lovely hostess was surprised I had not been notified and I asked her to find out the reason.
• The last passenger to join the aircraft was a Qantas employee who proceeded to sit in my original Business Class seat 1D – they kicked my out of my business class seat (which was booked 10 months in advance) so that an employee of Qantas could take my business class seat – disgraceful, bloody disgraceful conduct by Qantas.

How can they issue me a Boarding Pass for Business Class at 9.15am then by 10.15am think it is OK to kick me out of my Business Class seat so that an employee can sit in comfort – why do they think this is acceptable – IT IS NOT.

• The hostess did come back to me early in the flight and said she was told that they had been trying to ring me to let me know of the seat change – this was an outright LIE as my telephone was turned on all the time, I had wi-fi and was in the Business Class Lounge – no reason was given for the change.

Whilst I supported Joyce for doing what he could to keep the airline afloat during COVID, the endemic lack of service appears to have gotten a lot worse and Qantas has forgotten what industry they are in – the SERVICE industry.

There can be NO EXCUSE for what occurred; being kicked out of my business class seat booked 10 months in advance after already been inconvenienced due to a flight cancellation so that a staff member can sit in comfort and given a boarding pass for my business class seat.

2  Thank Brunks2011
Reviewed 10 April 2024

Travelled as a family of 5 to HK and arrived back to Melbourne today. I ordered a vegetarian meal which was vegan and left on my table for probably an hour, making a poky space even smaller. On the flight back our plane was delayed 3 ½ hours meaning we had to return leaving 1.30am Melbourne time. The seats are so small that my husbands shoulders were jostled by everyone who walked past. I had to try to sleep with my knees rammed up against the seat in front of me. The most annoying thing was that I called Qantas Sydney from Hk when I found out about the delay and asked if we could use the Qantas lounge as it’s very late for the 3 kids. She said she’d have to put me though to Frequent Flyers to do it and they would email me. I asked her could she just do it as I’m in a cafe on my mobile in HK. She put me on hold then said to ask the gate staff to help me. I got to the gate and they couldn’t do it. I asked the lounge staff lady if I could buy passes since we had now gone to the airport 5 hours early. She said no, it had to be done days in advance. Honestly, every effort is too hard, the seats are small, and I’m never flying Qantas again if avoidable. Take a cheap airline and buy the really nice food that’s available in the airport and take that and save yourself the expectation that you’re paying more for a good airline.

Date of travel: April 2024
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.