“We had to fly Business Class.”
Review of Qantas

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We had to book Qantas business class as there were no seats available in economy.
We were returning from Hobart to Melbourne and then onto Newcastle.
We went through business check in, waited in the Qantas business class lounge at Hobart while we waited for our flight. We boarded first. Sat in the front row and once we had strapped in, a steward came along with sparkling mineral water or cranberry juice.
One we were airbourne, they served us a meal. I had pork fillet. Because we were on buisness class, our checked luggage jumped from 20kg to 40kgs.
This baggage limit was carried on when we flew economy from Melbourne to Newcastle.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (13,544)

Reviewed 24 February 2018

They treated me like royalty. I flew AA to Dallas then Qantas to Sydney. The business class seats convert to a comfortable bed. It is worth the extra expense to get a good nights rest on a 14 or 15 hour plane ride. When I retired I decided to go at least business class on every flight I take I like to be pampered and Qantas does that for the business class.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

We have been loyal Qantas customers for many years, despite of tickets for Qantas flights were not cheap comparing to many other airlines. The recent in-flight travel experiences suggest that we perhaps should look for other airlines next time traveling to and from Europe.
Particularly from Dubai to Sydney, we were on a full flight. The plane was old, services slack and food were ... edible, of course. Comparing to our last long haul flight experience with Qantas in October 2014, we were rather disappointed. We took a few Qantas flights to Japan in the past 3 years, because the distance was much shorter, it didn’t have much impact. But for a long haul flight, inflight entertainment, food and services would make a big difference for economy class travellers.

1  Thank 0hThePlacesYouWillGo
Reviewed 24 February 2018

The QF check in counters at Chek Lap Kok was super long, so when we were moaning about other airlines e.g. CX or BA that had kept us waiting before, we realised that was really nothing when compared to Qantas's tardy service. We give the benefit of the doubt that Qantas must have had super slow check-in system so the line seemed stagnated. Several times their ground crew actually scurried over and called out flight numbers for those worried faces still stuck in the queue whose flights were blinking ' final call '.

Their ground crew were basically sans smiles.

Then we finally boarded and the cabin crew were slightly better when they greeted you at the door. The seats were tight and cramped as compared to other seats of the same class e.g. CX, BA, SQ, JAL, Emirates etc. They don't have inflight shopping magazine and no welcome drinks. Not even some water.

After a long time we're finally offered some drinks, and they passed out a menu like a robot. A child was beside me in the 2-4-2 configuration, and suddenly there was this silver-haired male cabin crew who shoved me one kid's meal, without saying a thing, not asking if that child was mine and needless to say, no ' please' or ' thank you' or ' excuse me'. He just shoved the aluminium pack to me and strutted off without batting an eye. The mum on the aisle seat exchanged glances with me and I passed the meal to her kid.

The airline food was coarse and rather bland, presentation was nil. Serving u food is mandatory so to them it is just something to fill your stomach. Not appealing when they serve it in a small tray in a size that just fits the aluminium food tray. The hard bun like rock was stashed on top of the copper lid. The cutlery set was handled to u separately. Dessert was also separately passed down, unlike in most airlines we have a decent sized tray to put everything on. Here on Qantas, everything served was a separate entity. Tea and coffee served in paper cups without a serviette---it's hot to hold and what if it spilt? They didn't really think about it. Or the management was lax in the basic training.

Then the most terrible, unhygienic thing happened. When I was at the back of the plane to stretch my legs, where the toilets are, there are also free biscuits and snacks on the nearby lit wall panels for passengers to take. I witnessed with my own eyes how one female air stewardess wearing disposable gloves came out fresh from cleaning the loos holding rubbish collected from the loos as well as grabbing all cleaning tools and sprays, in the SAME PAIR of disposable gloves, started to tidy up the snacks section, touching all the biscuits e.g. TimTam and nuts, patting them back neatly in their places, rearranging their places etc. I was shocked to see such flippancy, such unconcerned attitude that displays nothing but a routine done perfunctorily with zero regard about hygiene and spreading germs and passing dirt onto food. Would she do the same thing in her own home---cleaning the loo and jump to touch food in the same soiled hands / gloves????

I felt totally disgusted and not wanting to touch anything they served from then on.

May times it is the small things that reveal a lot about the management, their training ( or the lack of it ), their attitude and concept of what good service really is ; their duty to carry out good hygiene and stringent measures to ensure all's travelling in a safe and clean environment. These are the most basic principles to what the hospitality field is all about.

So we have promised ourselves that unless there's only Qantas left in this whole wide world, we would NEVER, NOT consider flying it again.

Come to think of it. Who would want to pay for very cramped seats ; substandard food including bland beef stew, soggy veggies and rock hard bun ; overly frugal serving utensils; tepid services; and careless, mindless unconcerned smile-less crew who are perfunctory, who display nothing but coarseness, indifference and nonchalance to basic greetings and cleanliness?

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Domestically Qantas provides consistently great service especially for longer flights. The plane was delayed at takeoff but made up the time while on route. Staff always helpful