“Frustrating, but handled quite well”
Review of Qantas

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We only ever fly Qantas, but Qantas had one of those days on 7/1/18. It was the worst flight we had ever taken, but understand somethings are unavoidable. A brief outline of our frustrating day.

Arrive at airport at 10.30am for our 2.15pm flight. Arrived early due to no late check out at hotel. Happy though, we do this all the time. Can see the Terminal is chaotic, broken luggage conveyor belts.

So we stood in line for just over 3 hours, until we were told to hurry, our flight was closing. Even though we were at the absolute front of the line, we weren’t being called forward to the desks & we couldn’t hear the PA.

We race to the plane, after an attendant wheeled away our 4 cases. Sat onboard the hot plane for 1.45 hrs, as the cabin wasn’t cooling down, they weren’t letting remaining 180 passengers onboard. We were toasting sitting onboard. Staff were great under very trying circumstances. So grateful they let me off briefly, so I could fetch my kids some food, as they were really struggling by this point.

Finally we take off. About 30 mins after take off to Perth, Captain says there’s issues and we need to land in Melbourne.

Arrive safely in Melbourne, hats off again to the Captain and his crew.

We enter the terminal & join yet another line! 2 hours to find out what hotel we were staying at and rescheduled flight we were taking.

Go outside to the hotel shuttle pick up, told we would be waiting about 1.5hrs, as the little mini van is going back & forth as fast as it can. There was no way we could do it, we grabbed a cab.

We had no clothes, no toiletries, but we were put up in a nice hotel & slept very well anyway.

Arrived at Melbourne airport for flight home. Flight was good except for no inflight entertainment for anyone, system broken.

Credit to Qantas, we arrived in Perth to all our luggage waiting for us, thank goodness. Made me reconsider not taking out domestic travel insurance in future.

The whole day was around 7 hours of standing in line or waiting around. It was pretty frustrating, not something I’d like to go through again.

1  Thank Susan B
Write a ReviewReviews (11,292)

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I'm sitting here, in a cafe in Cairns with my daughter and all our luggage (had to check out at 10am), and was anticipating the arrival of my family after a week apart. Before school went back at the end of January, we were going to have a family break, all together, which is the first in a long time.

However, my partner turned up at check-in (at a Jetstar counter, because the flight we redeemed was operated by Jetstar) with the booking number, only to be told they had no booking... then they promptly cancelled the booking in the system.

Absolutely horrified, I began on a multitude of what was to be hours of calls to Qantas, as well as messages on Facebook messenger. As my family's intended flight took off, we were told my points didn't process at the time of the booking, so it was not paid for. I had booked a couple of flights over a period of two days, and had booking numbers for them all - they were all in my Qantas account, listed together. I've even already taken two of the booked flights, international ones - with no issues!

So despite looking like yet another legit booking in my account, complete with booking number and the app notifying me it was time to check in and go to the specific gate, it wasn't booked.

I received NO notification from Qantas or Jetstar that the booking was not valid or needed a payment/points. Not via email and nothing displaying on the website. There were no issues as far as I was concerned.

How the HECK does it get to the point where you have to turn up, with your booking details (which did NOT say unpaid or payment owed), to find out you can't go???? I don't understand...

Right now I am on hold again to Qantas, as my call dropped out perviously trying to work out a solution and she never called me back. But we cannot afford so many tickets at last minute prices, which is what they are offering to us.

I totally get that it's possible in a complex system for points to not be processed immediately. But there is NO warning or messages about that, I thought the points would be processed immediately (as per the case in ever other booking I have made) and it was done.

Seriously, this is such a joke, when you book a flight and enter in everyone's details, and can share that booking with everyone booked on the flight (which I did) you assume it's been booked, especially when you receive no further correspondence about payment failures.

Our family holiday is now in tatters. It's been a terrible half a day of tears, frustration and feeling like it's a case of not mattering to the big guys.

Now, I'm sitting here in this cafe, just wanting to go home and be with my family too. I feel so badly for them, they were so looking forward to it, they were missing me, and my partner desperately needed the break after a massive year.

Way to go Qantas. I'm done with your frequent flyer program. It wasn't worth the hours of stress from 8:30am to now being 12:30pm, on the phone, on hold trying to sort this out... and still nothing.

ETA: Was put through to a supervisor of sorts at 12:40 and was told it was the customers responsibility to ensure they had tickets, was offered an apology told they were looking into some points as compensation......... ......... .........

They need to fix the bug/flaw in their booking system.

4  Thank Kelly Z
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Not my first experience of First Class, but my first time on this route. Thank you Qantas for the upgrade!

The flight attendants were excellent which made it a much better experience than my previous LAX-SYD First Class flight... interesting how much of a difference they can make!

The Rockpool designed food and wine selection is very good and the entertainment system is excellent... as you would expect.

Considering the obvious limitations for sleeping, Qantas 1st does it well. From supplying comfy pjs to making your bed up for you, they set the scene well for sleep time. The most important thing for me when travelling on business is being able to sleep well and as long as I get my 8 hours I'm happy. I did... and I was.

Apart from having high quality food and wine, a better bed, more space and a higher staff/passenger ratio meaning more personal service, what sets 1st class apart is the privacy. It's great having your own little cubicle even though it doesn't have a door!

I'm actually a very happy Qantas Business Class passenger and while it's wonderful to be upgraded to First Class I'm not so sure its worth the extra cost... unless money's no object!

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Very comfortable flight and service was good
got the window seat I asked for as a frequent flyer of this airline

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Used points to up grade and what a different world Business class is. Staff in economy have always been friendly and attentive but here it was excellent. Plane delayed over an hour due to tyre issue but Qantas club kept us informed and it was a pleasant wait.
Great to be able to have the leg room, the bed to sleep and the entertainment was good. Only area Emirates have a edge over Qantas is the entertainment system.

;