“Please purchase the dinner!”
Review of Norwegian

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flying direct from Oakland to Barcelona on Norwegian's Dreamliner was a dream. The plane still had that "new car" smell. And it's true that I suffered less jet lag. Still, coach is coach and the seats are small and uncomfortable for a 9 hour flight. We, and most of the passengers, paid the extra money to select seats, have a meal, and luggage. It was still by far the cheapest direct flight to Barcelona. The person sitting next to us went on the cheap. It was difficult watching her as the food came along ordering "water, please" over and over again. The flight attendant finally gave her a large container of water. We enjoyed small but tasty dinner and breakfast with free wine and snacks.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (17,613)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I flew Premium Class on from Los Angeles to Copenhagen on Norwegian Air Shuttle. My only complaint was that there was a two hour delay in the departure time. Since my flight was direct/non-stop I wasn’t concerned about making any connecting flights. The seats in Premium Class cost me $902. With Premium Class you get extra leg room, which I would equate to First Class on a domestic flight; well in excess of 45 inches of pitch. I had a bulkhead seat. The disadvantage was it was next to the restrooms. However, the trade off was that there was no seat in front of me to recline in to my space. Since Premium Class has its own restrooms it really wasn’t a problem being next to them.
With Premium Class you get two free checked bags along with a carry-on. Also included is free meal service and alcohol (although there was no selection as to the choice of meal). You also have access to the One World lounge at LAX which is a major perk; since they have both free food and a free bar.
Bottom line; would I fly Norwegian Air Shuttle again, for the value, absolutely.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A reciprocal of my overall flight experience a few days before with the same airline. All very good and an enjoyable experience at a good price.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you are thinking of flying on Norwegian: DON'T!

I flew from Oakland, California with my final destination Riga, Latvia with a connection in Stockholm. Then Riga to London Gatwick with another airline. Then I supposed to fly back with Norwegian from London Gatwick to Oakland, California.

I gotta say that Norwegian Premium class is alright. It's not crazy expensive to fly and it's good value for the money: Bigger seat, more leg room, and better service. I fell asleep in Oakland and woke up in Sweden. Nice!

Due to delays (equipment failure) I missed my connection. No problem. I know that this happens from time to time, and I don't mind getting a hotel.
The problem was that it took 5 hours to sort out the hotel. I don't need to be standing around the airport for that long. Let's get this over with and go on with our lives.

I caught the next flight to Riga the following afternoon. This isn't the "terrible" part yet. If this was all, I could totally die without being upset in the slightest.

I fly AirBaltic to Gatwick and spend a week in the UK.

I also get completely battered at my friend's wedding the night before I fly home to California. I get a text about 01:00am that's telling me that my flight home has been cancelled, and please call this number. I call the number and was on hold for 3 hours. I had one AirPod in my ear with hold music going on, and I was doing shots and conversing as to not waste the night. When someone finally gets on the horn, they tell me they cannot do anything right now and to call back tomorrow. I asked if I shoud just go to the airport to sort this our with an agent and I am told "Sure, that probably a good idea." And then get hung up on. Thanks for that, Norwegian!

I get to the airport, they inform me that my flight has indeed been cancelled. "Call the number on this paper" I am told, and handed a little square of paper that is barely visible. I call the number and am on hold for 2 hours. When I finally get through, I am told that I can wait three days to get a direct flight home or they can possibly book me on another flight. Well, I have a business to run so I take the different flight later that night at 19:00. This means that I now fly to JFK, stay the night, fly to SLC and try to catch the next flight to Oakland with a 15 minute connection.

I show up and the flight is delayed. They finally show up with a wet-lease from Portugal called HiFly Airlines. They we the biggest bunch of absolute tw**s I have ever had the displeasure to fly with. Yelling at passengers, being all kinds of rude, etc.. It is at this point that I am informed that I am downgraded. DOWNGRADED?!? Are you kidding me?!? Why would I pay for a Premium class ticket and get downgraded when I have my ticket in my hand? I was stone cold sober and not making any waves at all. I tried to reason with them, but was told that it wasn't happening, and if I wanted to go home I better go take my new seat. Fine. I take my seat and get to JFK.

I arrive and I expect (as I was told) to be handed a voucher for a room. They tell me to sort myself out and they will repay me. "Just keep it reasonable". What's reasonable?!? To me the reasonable thing to do would put me up at a f-ing Hilton at least. "Don't spend more than $100 and stay within the airport area" This person obviously does not know how NYC operates. But fine. I book a hotel for $200 (that was the cheapest available) and go on my way.

Let's be honest here: there were cabs involved, meals, etc. And let's not forget: WHAT IF I WAS DOING OKAY FINANCIALLY? Think of all the people without the means to go get a hotel! I guess that's how they save money. With the "sort yourself out" policy. This is why the one star rating.

The next day I get to SLC with a slight delay, and miss my connection. I head to the nearest bar and "sort myself out." I finally make it home the following morning after over 48 hours of travel and just about die. But I was so glad to be home.

I file my receipts online as they requested (mind you that I still haven't yelled or was rude in any way to anyone). Here I am over five weeks from the fiasco, and still haven't heard a peep from Norwegian or seen a dime of my extra expenses.

Do not fly this airline unless you like sitting in airports waiting for them to get their heads out of their rear ends.

3  Thank MHollman
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My whole experience was simple to book etc. No fuss. Helpful staff throughout (who didn't have you standing in a corridor for ages waiting to board, with no ventilation). On board all very clean and tidy, with good leg room. Comfortable and quiet. Nobody wakening me up to buy raffle tickets during the flight. Slept well. Thanks Norwegian.