“Used to be my airline of choice - not anymore”
Review of Malaysia Airlines

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I have used KL (and Malaysian Airlines) on many occasions as a hub when flying with the kids as they love to stay overnight at the Sama Sama hotel. My recent trip confirmed my opinion that the standards at MAS have decreased significantly over the years from one of the better carriers to probably a higher end budget/average one (I guess losing two aircraft will do that to an airline). For the second time in recent memory we had trouble with a seat that did not recline which made the overnight economy flight more uncomfortable than normal. Full flight again so no option to change seats. My biggest complaint is with the F&B service. It use to be that the onboard meals with MAS were actually tasty. Now they are inspid (especially the western meals) and on both recent occasions they ran out of my preferred meal. If this is a regular occurrence, then how about letting passengers at least choose from both options if they check in more than 24 hours before the flight? I thought I was being harsh until I took a connecting 90 minute flight with Bangkok Air from KL to Koh Samui. Hot and tasty meal with real utensils and milk from a jug with my coffee. Yes, these are small things, but they add up to a superior service from what is supposed to be a budget airline. Frankly I'd rather pay a bit more and use Bangkok as a hub in future.

1  Thank The_wifes_concierge
Write a ReviewReviews (5,434)

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Great Experience on the comfort, Good Leg room and well managed cabin Temperature felt very comfort travel.

1  Thank SridharM104
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I was very hesitant flying Malaysian Airlines to Bali due to the duration of the flight and transit in KL, Malaysia while on route to Bali. Because I had left my booking to last minute, a travel agent friend suggested Malaysian Airlines. The initial attraction to MA was the airfare, which was very competitive for a last minute booking.

Right from the start, I felt I was getting far more than value for money for what I paid for. I travel economy class and for what I would have paid on other airlines, I am sure I would have been cramped somewhere with hardly any leg room for someone that is over 100Kgs and 6 ft tall. Comfort and space made the long flight pleasant with free entertainment.

Checkin and baggage claim were no issues, due to extremely friendly staff with a genuine sense of responsibility to help passengers. Inside the cabin, the staff were just as polite and helpful. I ordered Hindu meal and was extremely happy with what I was served, my meals were not mixed up on any of my four flights, plus I must say MA food was one of the tastiest airline food, I have ever had in my 37 years of frequently flying between 5-6 countries.

2  Thank Arveen S
Reviewed 13 December 2017

the whole plane stank of urination as i boarded with my husband, as the toilets where not cleaned probably from previous flight. The seats were dirty and old. the table stank really bad and could tell had not been cleaned, i do not know how i survived the 13hr flight back to London from KL airport. also the seat arrangement is ridiculous the airline gave many single people a whole row to themselves and decided to cramp a couple with other people which was ridiculous and the man next to us wouldn't stop picking his nose and rolling his bogey and then chucking it on the floor. i will not even go into the details regarding the toilets. please avoid at all cost pay extra and book with other airlines.

2  Thank salina18
Reviewed 13 December 2017

We have flown to Australia with Malaysian four times (see my previous review) but will definitely be looking elsewhere if we are in a position to return to Australia again.
Our recent flight last week did not start well. We booked our tickets in March with Flight Centre and asked for seats on the upper deck, which we prefer. Seats were confirmed, and we checked in at Heathrow almost as soon as the desk opened. When I went to put my boarding pass away, after clearing security, I noticed we had been given the wrong seats. As soon as a member of ground crew turned up at the boarding gate, I pointed this out. I was told someone else had paid extra for our seats and that as the flight was full nothing could be done. Not a good start. The cabin crew did not seem very happy during the flight, and on takeoff and landing the crew member who sat opposite us looked really nervous! Food was awful, and the toilets looked like they were not cleaned at all. On the second leg from KL, the crew were much friendlier, and they constantly reviewed and freshened the loos. The planes seemed tired looking too.
We are not looking forward to our return trip next month and could no longer recommend this airline.

2  Thank Cajun27