“The Tension at Check-in”
Review of Lufthansa

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had flown in from Zagreb to Munich with a 4 hour layover until our flight to Hong Kong. Plenty of time to enjoy what the airport had to offer. The first worrying signs were the delay in getting our bags from the short flight over the Alps. It took one hour! No explanations, and no interim advice on the monitor. Still, no panic. 3 hours to play with. Moved from bag collection to flight checkin. We were flying Premium Economy and moved to the Business class counter (which in most airlines attends to premium passengers as well). The counter had no other business than ours, yet we were told to check in at economy. I turned around to see a line at least 80 metres long with just 5 persons attending to that mass of humanity. It took one precious hour to get to the counter. All the while, surplus Lufthansa personnel appeared to be standing around. Why they weren't shifted to the hot spots is beyond me. It seemed that every third customer had a problem at checkin!

When we finally reached the counter, we too had a problem. They discovered our confirmed flight was not actually confirmed, despite the record of payment on the screen. We were informed they could not fix it there. We were now directed to ticket sales. Yes, another queue. By now, our blood pressures were rising in inverse proportion to the rapid decline in our appreciation of German efficiency.

Another hour passed in the company of highly agitated customers, which only heightened our own agitation. At last, with one hour before departure, we finally had a person who was extraordinarily efficient. It still took him time to sort it all out, even though the lost "confirmation" baffled him. We finally got to the departure gate mid-way through boarding – not the way I would prefer. Our transfer boarding passes for the Hong Kong to Auckland flight had been arranged to be collected in Hong Kong.

I must give full marks to that last Lufthansa gentleman who tidied all the problems.

But I have still not had an explanation as to how the error happened. Air New Zealand have stated that they have no explanation, but Lufthansa and Flight Centre have not replied yet.

1  Thank petatk2018
Write a ReviewReviews (24,240)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Absolutely the best flight I have had in years.
Terrific service, frequent beverages, free head sets, free internet and good food too.

Entertainment offerings were abundant with movies, books, games and pod casts!

Economy sets are cramped and lack much cushioning, but it wasn't as bad as some airlines.

The premium economy seats looked well worth the extra fees and I will consider it next time. However,the 2-4-2 configuration made it more pleasant with no middle seat passenger worries.

I will always try to fly Lufthansa when possible.
Great way to get home from Europe!

1  Thank mistravel
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lufthansa damaged my bag in transit from Frankfurt back to DFW. 2 weeks after the damage claim was filed, I receive a phone call from "Customer Service at Lufthansa" stating they would reimburse me if I provided them with my bank routing number and bank account number. I told them, due to FRAUD and THEFT concerns, I could not provide the information and instead wanted a check to be mailed to me. The agent then said, "I'll send you an email, send me your bank information back via email." I again reiterated my concern about Fraud and Theft and asked to speak with a manager. I was told no manager was available and if I didn't want to provide my banking details, my claim would be marked closed. I have never heard of this kind of interaction EXCEPT from scammers who are trying to steal money and bank account information! If this is truly Lufthansa Customer Service policy - then I will NEVER fly Lufthansa again.

1  Thank txscurlygirl
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked flight with seat assignment and had seats assigned. At boarding seat assignment was not honored moved to last row, and told to file for a refund.

2  Thank Arthur M
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This airline is one of the best to fly on. As many others have said, the food and in-flight entertainment were great.Of course, the economy seats were tight, but that's to be expected on any airline. I actually watched four current movies that were excellent.
It really helped to make the almost 12 hour flight not seem so bad. I would fly this airline again.