“Nice plane, good service, decent food, good entertainment options”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We flew from Washington DC Dulles, through Amsterdam to Stockholm.
Our return flight was from Bergen Norwaythrough Amsterdam to Washington Dulles.
All four planes were clean, seemingly in good condition with clean restrooms. Service was very good on all four flights. The two long haul flights were 787s with good entertainment systems in the seats. There were plenty of good current movies available along with music, games and other options. The meal and snack service was good. The meals themselves were good with decent main course choices and good side dishes and deserts. They were generous with the drink selections that included beer and wine selections a,omg with several non alcohol offerings.
The flight attendants were pleasant and helpful when needed.

HINT: take your own headphones from home for the entertainment system. The headphones that they provided were cheap and actually hurt your ears after a few hours. The system was set up for either usb or single post plugs.

Write a ReviewReviews (21,112)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

KLM was an amazing experience. From baggage drop to the actual flight and in-flight service. KLM staff were friendly, professional and very accommodating!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I travel quite often and, I usually fly KLM and Turkish airlines. KLM is a great company with reasonable prices.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

With the KLM is always a good flight, although this time the boarding was a bit messy. Flying with KLM, even on these city-flights, gives the passenger a safe and easy feeling. You get the feeling they have everything under controle.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My experience on KLM was the WORST I have experienced in the hands of any airline, and I have travelled on dozens for business and leisure.

We arrived at LCY (London City Airport) on 28MAR18, where everything seemed fine with our flight to AMS (Amsterdam) prior to boarding. The flight ahead of ours was cancelled (no idea why but I can guess now) so ours was busy. Everyone boarded the place, we were good to go, doors closed and cross-checked, and then we were told we would sit there on the runway until who knows when because one runway at AMS was closed for 3 weeks. So the airline whose home airport is AMS makes no contingency plan for this ahead of time, instead cancelling and delaying flights last minute? This is exceptionally poor for a company based around logistic planning.

I tried to get some further information from one of the stewardess (an intimidating tall leggy blonde who could pull off wearing trousers in KLM, as no one would want to mess with her), but with typical Dutch charm (<- sarcasm) was quickly put in my place and back in my seat.

We had a very tight connection in AMS for our flight to LED (St. Petersburg, Russia), but our aircraft was delayed inbound due to fog in Berlin, and therefore delayed outbound by about 40 minutes. We made the connection, but my baggage did not.

We arrived in LED around 01:30 local time. Finding my baggage delayed, I joined the baggage delay queue to file a lost baggage report. The agent completed the paperwork in quadruplicate, handed me a property irregularity report and told me that they would call if they found my baggage and then deliver it to my hotel. That was it – I was left with the clothes I was standing in and my toothbrush. It was -6 degrees outside and I was wearing a cotton sweater, jeans, sneakers and a short light coat – my winter gear was all in my baggage, as when we left London it was about 10 degrees above zero.

As we got to our hotel in central St. Petersburg at 03:00 local time, it was too late to buy any new clothes or toiletries, so I went to bed in a clean pair of underwear borrowed from my boyfriend.

The next day, instead of sightseeing, I spent the first morning of my holiday shopping for underwear, socks, and basic toiletries, in an unfamiliar country where I didn’t know where to find things, while wearing my boyfriend’s underwear. Honestly. It was so cold outside, and walking on the snow and ice so difficult in sneakers, that I ended up with a sore back.

I heard from a ground agent at LED, a shy speaker of English, around 18:00 local time on 29MAR18 that my baggage had arrived at LED, but that it would not be delivered until the next day, between 10:00 and 21:00. Again, that was it – no mention of what I was supposed to do for clothing or toiletries until then.

Instead of getting dressed up to go to the Mariinsky Theatre on 29MAR18, one of the premiere theatres in Europe, I had to go dressed in the same cotton sweater, jeans and sneakers I had been wearing for two days by then. Luckily they were not enforcing a dress code but it was still embarrassing.

I heard nothing further regarding my baggage until it arrived on 30MAR18 while I was out for dinner (again in the same clothes I had been wearing for three days by then), between 20:00 and 22:00 local time. The suitcase arrived damaged but I finally could get changed and stop feeling like a refugee!

Because I was wearing the same clothes for so many days, not knowing when my baggage would be delivered, I ended up with such a bad rash on my arms that I couldn’t sleep for being so itchy. This took several days to go away.

Throughout this whole experience I was completely abandoned by KLM. I was in a foreign country where I do not speak the language, in insufficient clothing for the Russian winter, and only received contact once (and not from KLM), with no advice or assistance. Travelling and flying can be stressful enough as it is, without such neglect for customers.

In 1999 I also had baggage that missed the AMS connection when I was going from ARN (Stockholm Arlanda) to YYZ (Toronto Pearson). Luckily I was resident in Toronto at the time, but as I was going to visit family elsewhere in Canada for the weekend, the Swedish cheese that was in my baggage was not in a great condition when I was finally reunited with it.

It seems there is a lot of room for improvement in KLM’s baggage handling and customer service if nothing has changed in 20 years!

Since my return I have raised complaints both in general and regarding the damage to my baggage. You’ll see that I am posting this in September. 6 months after the fact, I have heard nothing from KLM regarding their utter incompetence in dealing with the closed runway in AMS, and lack of regard for their customers comfort and well-being.

I did receive a reply regarding the damage to my baggage where one Ms. Y. Nayaranasami tried to fob me off by saying that I was too late to claim for damage to my baggage, which was nonsense because if it was delayed how could I know it was damaged as well? To reply to Ms. Y. Nayaranasami I had to fill in all the flight information again on KLM’s customer service website (despite having a file reference number, this is Dutch efficiency for you <- sarcasm) and eventually she conceded that they would pay for the damage to my baggage if I could prove that it couldn’t be fixed. This is presumably in line with an aviation convention dating from the 1970s.

I think one dismal review on TripAdvisor will cost KLM more than my suitcase.

2  Thank Zoodle