“They lost my baggage and never compensated me”
Review of Kenya Airways

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The biggest issue is that Kenya Airways lost my baggage and never compensated me. It arrived late and they told me they would deliver it but they never did. Three weeks after I left the country they emailed me to say they had released it to my "authorized representative" and that they considered the matter closed. I did not have an authorized representative, so they just gave it to someone after I left the country and decided they were good to go. I told them this and they never responded. I contacted the appropriate government authorities and they never responded to them either. I tried to sue them but they refused to receive service. Don't fly with this people unless you have no other choice.

Otherwise the flight was okay. There was a drunk loud guy who I had to (was up to) repeatedly quiet, and after the third time or so he shut up. The Kenya Airways crew was too timid to act (even after I told them to they told him in a milquetoast was that he couldn't have more to drink, but then kept their distance), which really isn't acceptable.

3  Thank njuloti
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Been using this 5 airports in a day route for a year ie 38 flights in mostly the 737-800. It is a 18 hour experience which is a hellish ride and a damn expensive one to boot. Ok, so the company is paying and I accepted eco class travel to be fair. However, for the traveling public it's a mission. Leaving Jhb at 1 am is tedious and gets you into Nairobi without sleep as dinner is served and then find yourself zombied in Nairobi Jomo airport. The non useage of a air bridge with a tight turn around to the next flight makes for frustration and little time to even grab a coffee which is damn expensive at four dollars for Africa. Wifi is good at one hour free so remember to use two devices if longer than one hour there.
With such a long time in a 737 the 7 hours to Accra is awful as the seats are rock hard and food very poor. This is long haul when the offering is domestic level for a full charging full service run. Entertainment is ok, if you get a newer plane but still well below top priced experiences.
You then sit onboard in the plane for 1.5 hours in Accra in boiling conditions with no air on. No drinks, no nothing and toilet use is limited as the plane has to be cleaned and this is priority for KA.
Then a short trip to Monrovia and more mediocre food and another 1.25 hours in the plane on the ground , no aircon no nothing and another clean over dance on board.
So, now having been in a 737 for 17 hours it's 1 hour to Freetown and two packets of peanuts and a beer.hmmmm

Same on the return leg with sleeping almost impossible from Accra to Nairobi as most seat buddies sit starring wide eyed at screens with all manner of sneezing and aromas in full effect.
Add four dumplings of health chemicals by the crew and to put it mildly one is truly concerned about overdosage once rolled off the airfield.

Plus side, had the please of doing one trip business class and to put it mildly it's worth the ride if KQ offer it to you as a free upgrade but I would fork out that cash if I were paying.

The frequent flying set up is a joke. Company spent a fortune on 38 flights and I still didn't even qualify for a few lounge useages. Sob.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Recently flew back to Nairobi from a visit to London. There wasn't a special meal for me as indicated on my reservation. I had requested a gluten-free meal. The flight team was not able to accommodate me except to supply me with fresh fruit and yogurt for the 8 hours. I need to remember to bring "emergency food" with me when traveling on KQ. I also found it interesting that on check-in I was specifically asked if I had packed any plastic bags in my luggage, and then again at the duty-free shop they mentioned the plastic bag ban in Kenya yet when I boarded the plane every single blanket and every single headset was covered in single-use plastic bags! Shouldn't the nation's airline be a model for a plastic-free flight?

2  Thank Alicia M
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Flying Dubai to Nairobi I was very fortunate to receive 4 seats to myself - winning. I was able to stretch out and gather some much need sleep after being in transit for 18hrs.

The cabin service was fine. There was no issue on my behalf. They didn’t wake me up and ensured that I had water when I did.

All cabin staff spoke fluent English and other languages.
I cannot recall if the customer has the ability to charge mb phones/iPads/tablets.

I did note that the cabin temperature got turned up to wake people up. Choking me. Usually the temp gets turned down to wake people/customers up.

In flight entertainment was good.
No free wifi
No photos this time.

2  Thank ZaraIam
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Plane good, crew also good. Mombasa airport ok, but Nairobi airport is a while different story. Everything is "slow", nobody helps, signage is bad, bus is extremely slow ... you can barely reach connection plane even if you have 1 and a half hour layover. Endless doublechecks of papers and fingerscans ...even on departure from country.

1  Thank Goran K