“Flights good, Guest Programme and website bewildering”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I used to love Etihad (except when codeshare with Virgin) and travel 2 or three times a year NZ to Ireland and return.Flights are good, food ok and I have had my share of upgrades.Luggage allowance generous but the more I travel the less I need it. Have Lounge access and showers between long flights a lifesaver. Unfortunately with seat charging comes seat choosing and the colours and therefore prices are indistinguishable on my iMac screen and there is no progressive cost so you get to the end of a website booking with $500 extra cost. Gave up and booked via agent, which is annoying waste of time. Have 100k+ air miles. To purchase air miles they are US2¢/mile. Purchases on shop site are typically around 100k for an item (cellphone, vacuum cleaner, camera) available at $US500 not more than. 100k miles@US2¢ = $US2,000 ! Further I have never had a response to Etihad Guest Email enquiry, they are simply ignored. Phone service good but wanted 91,000 air miles for one segment economy upgrade to business class ($US1,823 equivalent). Unfortunately what is apparently intended to achieve loyalty is having the opposite effect and I predict the break to another airline is about to occur despite the fact that the amount of travel gives me lounge access. I regret that very much as I consider Abu Dhabi the friendliest airport in the world (and I have been to lots) and the airline better than Singapore Airlines and as good as Air NZ (both long-haul experts).

1  Thank Robert L
Etihadhelp, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we will take this feedback on board and share this with our Etihad Guest Team. Would it be possible to send us your interaction number via private message so that we can follow up on this for you?

Thank you. *Rose

Write a ReviewReviews (12,466)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Flew with Etihad on the 10th of December. Flight was good, hostesse ok experienced much friendlier. But overall not a bad flight.

Previous to our flight we booked our allocated seats together which took us 5 attempts, this was still not working so called the customer service team. They informed us that our card had actually been charged the 5 times due to an error on there website and that they would refund us the money. (9th December)

22nd of January still no refund.
20 calls and 15 e-mails later to the company and still no further.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told there was no one higher then the advisor I could speak to only him. Every time I call they have said I can assure I will contact the refund team and get this sorted for you but nothing back at all! or call your bank to check they are not holding it which they are not I’ve called several times to check.

It’s very frustrating when your not getting anywhere and using up my time calling and emailing with no results

This is our first time using this airline... definitely not again the after care and customer service is appaulling. I told my fiancé we should of flown with virgin! As we usually do, bad mistake on our part trying another airline! Never again!

4  Thank Amypersaud

Hi Amy, we are sorry to hear about that. Please send us your booking reference and a screenshot of the charges in a private message on one of our social media sites. We will look into this case. Thank you. *Marc

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So I have flown to the states many times and am familiar with the ESTA program. I booked a return flight to NYC and filled in the required ETSA details AND Virgin frequest flyer details on the original booking (this has been supplied to Etihad months ago)

I get to the airport and the lovely check in lady says 'sorry we dont have the ETSA details you cant get on the flight' that was a little scary, but sorted without too much trouble. My problem is that they know this is required why didnt they contact me to say, 'hey we dont have your details'

thats one thing, but that fact that they have stolen my Frequent Flyer points for the return part of the trip and after months of emails to them the only message i have is 'your enquiry is important to us a team member will get back to you asap'

Well thats a lie as I have nothing.

DO NOT FLY WITH ETIHAD

Date of travel: October 2018
3  Thank paul c

Hi Paul, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please send us your frequent flyer number in a private message and tell us to which email address you have sent your email so that we can follow up with our team. Thank you. *Marc

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The meals, drinks and in-flight entertainment are much better than on average economy class airlines. The legroom is about the same, though.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)

Hi Igor, we are happy to hear that you like the meals, and the entertainment system on board. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for flying with us. We hope to see you on board again soon. *Marc

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

LHE to AUB dinner time flight 3 hours: spinach pasty!!
AUB to Belgrade 6 hours flight: egg and lamb sausage!!
Belgrade to LHR: BUY YOUR FOOD!!! on top of 3 hours flight delay which was on top of 5 hours transit. Total no frills .... sorry nonsense airline. Entire booking was through Etihad so expected higher standard. A strong advice.... do not take additional stopovers....you will simply regret it due to their non existent courtesy or keep the customers informed standards!!! I wonder if they are trying to help global warming by putting off customers from flying!!! It’s definitely working for me!!
And by the way all 3 journeys were on 320 or 319.... if I had known I WOULD NEVER HAVE FLOWN!! Terrible leg space on these aircrafts if you are taller than 5’.7”!!!
No flight entertainment on Belgrade to LHR flight unless you have a smart phone and the transit and delays have not sucked up all your energy!!! Almost forgot....the toilet was BLOCKED too on this flight!

Date of travel: January 2019
4  Thank GrumpyMaster

Hello, we are sorry to hear that you did not like your experience with us. Thank you for your feedback regarding the meal, the entertainment system and the leg space on board. Your feedback helps us to improve the experiences of our guests on board. Thank you. *Marc