“Disappointing long haul flight”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were excited to fly Etihad after hearing so many lovely things about them and reading some great reviews. However, we were off to a bad start when checking it at Manchester. There were hundreds of people waiting to check in and only 7 desks open - 3 of these were for business/first class, 3 for baggage drop only and only 1 was for the biggest queue, economy check-in! Needless to say we checked in after a very long wait (nearly 2 hours!) and then had limited time in the Aspire lounge we had booked separately.

Once on the plane, we sat in our pre-booked seats so me and my husband could have a row of 2 on our own. The seats were the same width as a RyanAir or EasyJet short haul flight (17 inches) - not great for a 7hr 20min flight. And for some ungodly reason, none of the 4 Etihad flights we took from Manchester to Male had air conditioning at your seat!! Each flight was like an oven which made a rather uncomfortable 12 hour trip even more so....

You were provided a pillow and blanket, and the meals and service were all fine. But we've flown similar long haul flights with competing airlines (e.g. Turkish Airlines) and were much more comfortable. Mainly due to the fact you are provided with a care package with Turkish to make travelling much nicer (e.g. a sleeping mask, lip balm, slippers, disposable toothbrush and tooth paste).

Simply put, it was too uncomfortable in economy with Etihad compared to other airlines to make us want to use them again.

Date of travel: November 2018
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello Rebecky, thank you for your review. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. We value your insights and need those to improve our service. Thank you. *Isi

Write a ReviewReviews (11,663)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was flying with my kids alone from london to Colombo(Srilanka) via Abu dhabi. The flight from Abudhabi was over booked and had delayed my journey by more than 12 hours which caused me to miss one of my closest family wedding. Had to wait several hours to check inn and re book the flight. Tried several times to check inn online and it didn't come up with a appropriate reply earlier before arriving at airport. While we are waiting most ground staff took few passengers on their own to the desk and check inn them through. Finally some how managed to rebook our flight after 12 hours delay they compensate me with some etihad vouchers which they made me to pay to put my hand luggages with the check inn luggages with the false hope from a staff saying that you can claim your refund of the tickets once you back.I couldn't carry them with me for 12 hours as I was sick and very tired along with my kids. I wrote them several emails and they didn't do nothing even though boasting of excellent customer service.

This is my first and will be the last journey with etihad.

Date of travel: July 2018

Hello, thank you for your review.
Please send us more details via private message or Facebook or Twitter. Then we can assist you further. *Isi

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Ths is in reference to encashing a voucher offered to me during my travel from Mumbai to Melbourne due to flight overbooking.
I was dealing with a lady who appeared to have taken the ownership of my issue and promised to get the voucher encashed.
Apparently she sent me a template to furnish my bank details to initiate the transfer.
There are 2 Swift Codes given to me by my bank. Both codes were rejected by Ethihad.
The response from Ethihad was...

Eventhough I have a savings account in India and I have furnished my Savings account details.

1st response was...

"Refund was never processed due to NRI account
Attached bank account is an NRI/NRO account to which we cannot initiate EFT.
Kindly request the guest to share his/her “Savings” account."

Apparently I gave the other swift code and the response is as below !!!

"This swift code doesn’t belongs to India bank that
you have send.
The refund cannot be processed as you did not send correct swift code.
Kindy send us correct swift code for India bank".

I'm clueless now!! I'm not getting any help and I am not sure how to encash the voucher??

Date of travel: April 2018

Hello, thank you for your review.
You can send us your details via private message or Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and we can check if we can assist you with this. *Isi

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Flew Etihad Brisbane to Cairo and then Athens to Brisbane recently. Very pleasant crew. The aircraft was new but the seating felt like it had been recycled from an older plane. Still wish they would design aircrafts to make it easier for couples to fly together. Thankfully we didn’t get assigned the backwards facing seats. Only issue was the toilet needed cleaning more often as a child flying in BC had the common occurrence of missing the loo. Oh and a crappy selection of movies. Overall pretty good though. Still think Qantas is better as they give you pj’s to change into and make your bed up for you.

1  Thank Tessa B

Dear Tessa,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are always open to ways of improving our service so please share any other feedback you have via our website.

Thank you. *Rose

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We travelled on etihad airlines for the first time in Oct 2018 in business class as it was almost a 10 hours flight and we wanted a good space to sleep for the long journey. On arrival to check in counter for departure we were informed that one of our names was misspelled, and since we originally did the booking it was our fault, so we payed around 30 kd for name corrections and that was it, nothing else, no warning that all our seat reservations for the return flight will be cancelled due to name adjustment, no paper to warn us, nothing!!. So we enjoyed our trip with the illusion that the problem was simply solved and we don't have to worry about anything because Etihad airways did everything for us. 2 weeks pass, we finish our trip and are ready to head back home. The check in counter takes almost 15 minutes trying to process our papers, which we didn't mind at all, but then says " sorry i couldn't put you next to each other! "...excuse me!". I show her our reservation paper with our seats confirmed next to each other and forward facing and she says "sorry I don't know what happened, but one of your reservations doesn't show in the system?". After 10 minutes of trying to look for a solution we were downgraded to backward looking seats just to be next to each other, not the fault of the flight attendants or check in staff as they did their best to help us, but really etihad airways!! Could you at least hand in a printed paper or instruct your check in crew to verbally inform customers that only paying the fee doesn't solve the issue and that you might "lose your reserved seats" incase of name change, so that at least i can connect to the wifi at the business lounge and RE-reserve my seats for the flight back home if your staff are NOT ALLOWED TO DO IT?!.other than that the flight from home to Narita was very comfortable with our original seat reservation. The food was very good and icluded both arabic and japanese selections with some western dishes and a good variety of desserts. the movies selection on our 10 hours flight was very good and uptodate and we had a comfortable sleep on the 180 degree inclined seat.

Dear Reem,

Thank you for bringing your recent experience to our attention. We would like to hear more about this, please send us a private message or contact us via our Feedback Form online.

Thank you. *Rose