“For long haul flights not for me”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 4 August 2016

I travel every four years to visit my son in Tasmania. I chose EtIhad as had heard really good things about them. I am ex airline staff and also have been a Travel Agent so read and listen to what is said about how, where, etc when flying.
I booked my flight well in advance to take advantage of some reasonable fares. I was travelling just before Easter 2015. My flight departure times and connecting, flight from Abu Dhabi were changed so often both on my way out and return that it really messed my holiday and work up.

Owing to last connecting flight from Melbourne to Tasmania departing at 19. 25hrs the original timing gave me just enough time to catch it. New times meant I would miss it and have to stay overnight in Melbourne or catch the ferry which arrives about the same time as first flight the next day.

Consequently I had to fly out the evening before my intended date of departure thus missing an evenings work. I also had to re book my connecting flight to Tasmania with Virgin Airlines, who would only let me change it to the flight before or the flight after original one booked, the latter being impossible as there is no later flight thus would involve a night in Melbourne.

It also meant coming down in Sydney and then flying to Melbourne instead of a direct flight from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne. I had opted to do this on my return as flight was cheaper this way, but did not book to do this on the way out.

My inflight entertainment did not work despite after requesting three times for something to be done about they eventually tried to re bot it to no avail. Service on board is nowhere near as good as on Emirates and you have far less offering of water and snacks. Food is ok.

Customer services ended up giving me 10,000 air miles, refused an upgrade and offered me Airport lounge a service I already have. Despite having enough air miles to virtually get me to Melbourne, but not a return ticket I am still not sure I would fly with them again after my experiences with them. I have flown Emirates both from London Heathrow and Manchester and love everything about my entire journey. Dubai Airport is fantastic and the Executive Airport lounge has the best selection of food and really comfortable seats.

Date of travel: April 2016
    • Check-in and boarding
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Hello Rosemary, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. Even more we are sorry to hear it's not as good as you have expected. We value your insight and will use it to improve our service. Thank you. *Ela

Write a reviewReviews (16,829)

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Price and service is great, compare to other airlines.. There is room for improving, but its not the worst airline for sure. Food could improve on flights and maybe get a bit more training in service would do.. But again, for the cost is one of the best

Date of travel: June 2016

Dear zuikis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your kind words and honest feedback, which we will make sure to pass on to the relevant teams in order to continue to improve our guests' experience. We hope to see you on board again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

1st time i had flown with this airline, the whole experience was good. Checking in was quite fast & the boarding was fast too. Good service on the flight & decent entertainment.

Date of travel: July 2016

Dear kevg226,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely experience with us. We appreciate your kind words, and it makes us very happy to know that you really enjoyed your flight. We sincerely hope to see you again in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Excellent service ... Drop of luggage went sloothly... fully booked flight though ... IT all depends of the crew actually

Date of travel: January 2016

Dear Jabbedabedoe,

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Booked a connecting flight from Moscow - Hong Kong via Abu Dhabi. We were excited to fly with Etihad, it was our first time.

We have checked in - we even already have a seat number on both flight. On the were asked if we wanted to take a direct flight to HK, the catch - we have to transfer to Sheremetyevo (we were at DME).

We said no, as we also just arrived from Saint Petersburg. We were tired so we just wanted to sit down an sleep. We thought everything was all good - apparently, the ground staff just decided to move us to another airline (even if we have checked in, have seat numbers), we were the ones bumped out.

As consolation, we were promised a $200 voucher from Etihad. We protested, we wanted to take the flight we booked.

We were told we did not have a choice but to get transferred!

As we are dead tired (after a month's worth of travelling). We stopped protesting - we said okay. We have been bumped off overbooked flights before, and we know that the airline extends help to accommodate overbooked passengers - boy we were wrong.

We asked if there was a transfer, the ground staff said no. They told us to "maybe take a taxi" to DME to SVO (it was 84KM away).

We told them of our airline passenger bill of rights, but hey, it fell on deaf ears.

So we took a cab for an 84KM ride, at our own expense!

Our flight was delayed for almost 7 hours. I was also once bumped off a budget airline, for less than 6 hours, but I got taken cared of so much, being provided by a place to rest and food.

Etihad did not provide any. You would expect more from a"luxury" airline, but no.

By the way, the ground staff also did not fail to remind us that we should be thankful, because we our new flight out of Moscow was more expensive than what we originally booked (as if it was our fault).

Immediately after I landed in HK, i reached out to Etihad. They promised to refund my taxi fare from one airport to another - very impressive.

Until now though, no promised refund has arrived (it has been a month).

I have a $200 voucher which I might never use again (judging by how humiliatingly we were treated). And oh, its also non-transferrable, another surprise.

What happened to us should be a shame for Etihad. As big as an ailine company as it boasts it is, it does not take care of its passengers very well.

I have had better treatment from a low-cost airline.

I am not recommending Etihad to anyone - avoid it. What happened to me might happen to you!

Date of travel: July 2016
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

We regret to hear that Heinrich . Kindly feel free to share your experience with us at socialmedia@etihad.ae and one of our Guest Relations Officers will look into it for you. *Yas

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.