“Exceptional Customer Service from Emirates during Flight Disruptions”
Review of Emirates

Reviewed 16 April 2024

My mother recently flew during a period of flight disruptions due to the situation between Iran and Israel. As she does not speak English and had a connecting flight in Dubai, we were concerned, especially after her flight from SFO was delayed causing her to miss her connection. Thankfully, we had booked Special Assistance Services because of the language barrier. Emirates proactively booked her on the next available flight to Hyderabad, which was just 5 hours later. Upon landing, the assistance team took great care of her, helping her with her new ticket and providing complimentary food and drinks. Their support was exceptional; even when I couldn't reach her as her phone was off, they quickly confirmed her check-in status at the airport and assured me they would contact us if there were any issues. I really appreciate the excellent service Emirates provided, making sure my mother felt comfortable and stress-free throughout her journey.

Reviewed 16 April 2024

Emirates Business class has recently cut back with their services. The meals are presented like you would expect in economy class. They really need to up their game compared to Qatar Airways impeccable 5 star service. Twice we have flown recently to Dubai and paid a premium price we expected amenity kits none were provided both legs of the flight. They hand out some slippers & an eye mask. Will not be flying with Emirates again.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 16 April 2024

The air hostess Kenza Echaib was the loveliest attendant I’ve met and flown with in my entire lifetime . The in flight entertainment was amazing and so was the food , and I was delighted to get an poloraid too with the air hostesses . Thank you emirates for always being wonderful even in Economy , I will always choose to fly with you when I have the chance . You even displayed an Eid Mubarak message which warmed my heart .

Reviewed 16 April 2024

I am a frequent flyer- travelled to 12 countries with more than 100 international journeys in past 7 years. This is the worst experience I had with any airlines. Reasons for disappointment:
1. In carry on baggage only one 7-kg baggage is allowed by Emirates. All the airlines I travelled in past allowed an additional purse/laptop bag but Emirates refused to allow my laptop bag saying that only 1 bag is allowed and that with laptop bag weight will be more than 7kg. Never in my lifetime, any other airlines refused laptop bag or asked me to check the weight of laptop bag.
2. Very young and immature staff at the check-in who acts like robots following procedures. They are not considerate, lacking in empathy and just keep repeated the same lines that additional carry on bag (my laptop bag) won't be allowed as the total weight is to be less than 7kg. No senior staff to handle exceptions. I had a grueling time with the staff at the check-in. They pushed me beyond exhaustion and spent 2-3 hours standing aside in the line, waiting for the staff to show some consideration so that I can get my check-in done. Finally they asked me to remove all the additional things from my laptop bag like charging cable, wires, headset etc. to carry only the laptop with me in that otherwise empty bag. I didn't even realize that a laptop weighed 1.5kg until the staff weighed each and every item in my bag separately asking them to be put in check-in baggage. 3hrs was spent arguing and discussing with the staff to carry my 1.5ks laptop with me to the flight- what more do you need to make life terrible for a person who has a 45hr long journey ahead. I cannot understand why such a huge airlines as Emirates care so much about charging for every additional grams taken inside the flight and not ready to let go any penny they could grab from a passenger. It's like you won't leave any opportunity to torture passengers like hell.
3. Convinced that there are no alternatives and that the staff cannot find any solution, I asked the staff to cancel my flight and return the money so that I could travel with another airlines. But they are not equipped to handle that as well. They had no clue how to cancel my ticket and give me a refund. They told me that I have to call the Emirates customer service and ask for a refund.
4. Combination of flights for connecting from India to Canada are not well designed and without proper communication to the passenger on what to expect in the journey with respect to transfers/ self check-in to the next flight etc.
5. The connecting was via Boston with a 15hr layover. You are asked to take all your check-in baggage, leave the Boston airport and do a fresh check-in 2-hours before the journey. However, this self check in process and transfer outside airport is not mentioned in ticket bookings. Even at the time of checking-in at Bangalore airport, the baggage tags are until Toronto and the staff communicated that bags will directly reach Toronto. It was never communicated at the time of ticket booking or check-in that you have to exit Boston airport.
6. There were many passengers like me who were just directed to leave Boston airport with their bags and asked to come back after 12 hours to another terminal for the connecting flight, who had no place to rest and no clue that this would happen.
7. When the entire itinerary spans a 45hour journey, Emirates gave a terrible time to its passengers. Passengers were not allowed to enter the airport until before 2 hours of the journey from Boston to Toronto and had to sleep/wait in the chilling cold in the outsides of Boston airport which didn't have any places to buy food or drinks.
8. Neither the airlines or airport staff cared about how you manage the 15 hours connecting in the cold, sleeping near the airport entrance doors with no food or drink options.
9. When all people waited for the check-in of the connecting flight from Boston at 5.40am, the connecting flight airlines staff themselves showed up at the check-in counter only at 3.40am. Thereby, restricting all possibilities to enter the insides of the airport before that. The passengers started waiting from 2am itself desperate to enter some warm place but there was no airlines staff to help them.
10. In spit of paying amount for additional weight at Bangalore airport, I had to go through the same experience of weighing the bags, re-adjusting the weights etc. at Boston airport since it's a fresh check-in at Boston. Second round of torture in the early morning when I paid for the additional weight for the entire journey until Toronto and was told that the bags can be collected directly at the Toronto airport.
11. Inflight experience- in the 4hours flight from Bangalore to Dubai, the staff conveniently skipped meals and drinks for some people. While passengers just a row ahead of us had multiple offers for food alternatives and drink options in a 20-30mins time window, we kept waiting for food to be served in our seats. We kept asking the staff if we could have something to eat because we were hungry and it was an 8pm flight just at dinner time. There was a 6th grade child and mother in my adjacent seats and the child was too hungry. After asking the staff for 3rd time also we didn't get any offer for food or drink. Finally after 45mins of asking the same question multiple times, I got infuriated and asked the staff to tell me "what should we do to get something to eat?". Then the staff served food to the child and her mother. It was terrible on flight services. On one hand airlines staff roam around smiling, carrying cameras and asking passengers whether they want their pictures taken. On the other hand they refuse to provide basic services and refuse to cater to requests of passengers, ignores them in even serving water or drinks on repeated requests.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 15 April 2024

Emirates purports to be a 'premium' full service airline. However, be warned that this carefully curated image is not accurate. The airline is constantly late, which causes missed connections and severely disrupts travel plans. The staff are rude and unfriendly. The food (at least in economy) is barely palatable. Do not be taken in by slick marketing campaign. Avoid at all costs.

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.