“Worst ever airline in the Middle East region”
Review of EGYPTAIR

Reviewed 15 April 2024

An airline to be avoided at all costs!
I was redeeming miles from Singapore Airlines for my travel to Egypt and had no choice but to redeem them on EgyptAir (as a Star Alliance member airline) to travel to Egypt. And that's what we did and regretted later on.
I was holding a confirmed onward ticket from Dubai to Cairo on Egypt Air and a return ticket from Cairo to Abu Dhabi on Etihad Airways and valid eVisas issued by the Egypt authorities for tourism purposes.
The check in staff insisted (including the Dubai airport station manager) that as per their "regulations" our return ticket is not recognised because it was not from EgyptAir and that they could not "verify" it in their system! So he asked us to purchase a return ticket on EgyptAir too!
Having travelled half the world on a dozen airlines and many times with different airlines for the return trip, this is the most outrageous and ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my travel life! I stood my ground and told them that in the worst case, I would rather cancel the onward ticket of EgyptAir and travel on Etihad Airways both ways, rather than travel EgyptAir both ways. They finally allowed us to board after about 20 minutes of arguments of what was supposed to be a smooth business class boarding experience turning it into a bitter experience even before the trip started! It's clear that it was a scamming attempt by EgyptAir to make us purchase return tickets and that somehow shows the level of desperation of the airline!
After reading some of the reviews, turns out that mine is not an isolated experience and because some people have indeed purchased return tickets on EgyptAir, looks like the airline has been boldened to continue their money-making efforts from unsuspecting passengers!
The rest of the flight is not material in my view - the seating comfort and the food is average, the cabin crew is pleasant and the overall experience of travel (in business class) is not bad (at least compared to the check-in experience) but of course not comparable to other Middle Eastern carriers like Etihad or Emirates, but for sure travel on this airline is best avoided altogether.
It's also a pity that a Star Alliance member airline has to resort to this which for sure reflects poorly on Star Alliance too!

Date of travel: March 2024

Reviewed 13 April 2024

I had almost bad experience I chose to book in this airline two times a month and both times my luggage was not received they let me to go back again to the airport next day after I arrived to receive my luggage.. bad experience,
Not recommended at all.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 12 April 2024

Worst experience ever rude people unprofessional
Iam writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction and distress regarding a recent incident that occurred during my travel with EgyptAir. I had a flight from Madrid to Abu Dhabi with a layover in Egypt.

During my transit in Egypt, an employee named Mohamed Hisham Samir subjected me and my pregnant wife to a highly distressing and unacceptable ordeal. Mr. Samir demanded money from me in exchange for allowing me to board my connecting flight. When I refused, he threatened to prevent me from boarding the flight altogether.

Despite having passed through Madrid with no issues regarding my baggage if i have issue they could stop me in my residence country madrid so i could do something this is prove i didn’t exceed my wight , Mr. Samir insisted that I pay $130 before allowing me to proceed. He even went as far as to demand that I return to the check-in counter before passport control, which was impossible given the circumstances of my transit.

Throughout this ordeal, Mr. Samir displayed a reprehensible attitude, shouting and behaving aggressively towards me and my pregnant wife, who was left in tears due to his appalling conduct. Despite my attempts to reason with him and explain the illogical nature of his demands, he remained obstinate and refused to cooperate.

Eventually, a finance representative intervened moments before my flight departure, coercing me into making payment via card without providing a receipt. Furthermore, Mr. Samir demanded sensitive personal information, such as my card details, adding to the already distressing nature of the situation.

This entire experience was not only traumatic but also potentially harmful to the health and well-being of my pregnant wife and unborn child. It is utterly unacceptable for EgyptAir employees to engage in such behavior, especially towards passengers who have done nothing to warrant such treatment.

Date of travel: April 2024
1  Thank pola n
Reviewed 11 April 2024

They didnt recognize our student visas and didnt let us on the flight and were confused and had disputes between each other and made us run and wait,air hostesses were really rude if you didnt speak arabic and the worst air experience ive ever had in my entire life.

Date of travel: April 2024
Reviewed 10 April 2024

I was told by the airline that I couldn't board my flight to London without purchasing a return ticket with them. This requirement was completely surprising; there had been no prior mention of such a policy online, nor had I been informed when I booked my flight a week earlier. I got my boarding pass via email, and there is no mention of this anywhere.

Caught off guard, I had no option but to comply with their demand. I paid the sum of 789,100 Naira for a new return ticket, despite already having one booked with a different airline. This unexpected expense and the way it was enforced set a disheartening tone for the rest of my trip.

Things didn't get any better during my 12-hour layover in Cairo. I was informed that Egypt Air would provide accommodation for passengers with long layovers. However, I noticed a pattern: white passengers seemed to be attended to first, followed by black passengers. I was one of the last to submit my details, after over three hours of waiting.

Other passengers were taken to hotels outside the airport, however, the accommodation Egypt Air arranged for me was in a Star Alliance hostel within the airport. This hostel was arguably the dirtiest and most uncomfortable place I had ever been asked to stay in. There was also no internet connection available. The state of the room was so unacceptable that I thanked the terminal staff but chose to leave immediately, opting instead for the terminal chairs. These chairs, though uncomfortable and eventually bruising my hands, seemed a better choice than the hostel room.

About an hour later, a hostel receptionist offered me a cleaner room, his extra SIM card, tea, and a phone charger. Initially, this appeared as a kind gesture, but it quickly turned inappropriate when he began kissing my hand and requesting a hug which I refused. He handed me 5 Egyptian pounds as a 'souvenir' and asked for one in return, an interaction that felt like a thinly veiled scam. I responded by giving him 200 Naira, because at least this was the only person that seemed to acknowledge that I was a human being during my time in Egypt.

The dinner served by the airline was evidently subpar, having been left at room temperature for hours with obvious signs that it had began to decay. The rice looked moist and sticky, for example. After reaching out to my family using his SIM card, I decided to return to the airport terminal, choosing to wait at the departure gate.

If this airline is the only option you have, then you do not have any options.

Date of travel: January 2024
2  Thank jany e
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.