“Great airline to Nepal from SF”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The flight to Kathmandu from San Francisco was smooth and on time. Food was okay and the service was really good. On my return flight I left a battery bank in my check-in baggage which is my fault. China Southern Airlines held my bag and delivery it to my house the next day.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,068)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Flight left JFK 1 1/2 hours late on March 3, 2018. Snow partially to blame. Deicing plane.

This was a flight that connected thru Guanzhou, China. China Southern had arbitrarily changed our layover time from 3 hours to 1 1/2 hours from our original booking. Too LITTLE transfer time for any errors

No liquor or beer is served on China Southern international flights --at least not between JFK and Kuala Lumpur. Only cheap wine in the smallest plastic glasses I have ever seen. A swallow!

Long story short --we missed our connecting flight to Kuala Lumpur where we had a hotel booked for the night and a car/driver for hotel transport that night and tour next da which were already paid for. I asked in flight that China Southern in Guanzhou be notified and all possible assistance offered to us.

We could have been transported from our arrival gate to our departure gate by a bus. (Unknown to me at the time was that a special bus was there for passengers leaving on a Jakarta flight that happened to be departing from the gate next our Kuala Lumpur flight. Had I known that --of which no one from China Southern advised me-- my wife and I would have gotten on the bus and would have been in Kuala Lumpur that night ...without our luggage, but China Southern could have resolved that the night day. However, based on the lack of assistance from China Southern, they would likely have demanded that I come to the airport to pick-up my luggage!!

Nothing was done to accommodate my request!! UNACCEPTABLE!

We ran to the China Southern transfer counter (Counter 9) --having to clear that before going to the gate. The woman (He yuanyuan) at the China Southern transfer counter informed me that our tickets had been cancelled because we were not at the gate on time. I explained that the China Southern flight from JFK was late. NOT our fault!!

She (Counter 9, He Yuanyuan) ignored me and began a conversation in Chinese with the employee next to her.

I asked for the Manager in charge. She ignored me!!

I pushed past her and went into an adjacent office. I was told, "You cannot go in there!"

My reply was, "GET THE MANAGER NOW!!" This woman should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY!

A supervisor, Ye Jiayi, came out, but FAILED to call the gate or act in a timely manner to try to accommodate our needs and rectify a problem created by China Southern

China Southern made NO EFFORT to assist us. We had to clear Chinese security and a bag search even though we never left the secure gate area. Lin Xueping accompanied us.

We ran a long distance to try to reach the gate in time. I asked the representative with us, Lin Xueping, to grab one of the motorized carts to take us to the gate. His reply was, "They are not China Southern carts." STUPIDITY and INCOMPETENCE!! ( I don't give a F__K whose carts they are!" I am 71 years old and partially disabled as a result of having been run over by a tandem-semi in 1992.) SOLVE the problem! Take care of your customers. We could have made this flight with timely assistance from China Southern.

After a 16 hour flight to Guanzough, we were in the airport for another 3 hours before we got tickets for a flight the next morning that did not arrive until 1PM and a hotel in which to stay in Guanzough that night. It was another hour before we reached our hotel --with no luggage.

We had to get up at 4AM the next morning and be at the airport 3hrs before the flight since it was an international flight.

I asked to be moved to 1st class to be partially compensated for China Southern's screw-up. "That is not possible!" Supervisor Ye Jiayi

I will NEVER fly with China Southern again! What disreputable management! The CEO needs to be fired!

China Southern offered no compensation/reimbursement for our losses and inconvenience. I will contact my credit card company and advise them that the ticket charges for the China Southern flight will not be authorized or paid

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This was the cheapest airline I could find on this route and it proved a good choice. The plane was late taking off from Sydney, but we made our connection in China without too much trouble. The flight attendants were the most obliging and proactive I have experienced in a long time. The seats had enough legroom for reasonable comfort and the aisle was wide enough so I didn’t get bumped by the food and beverage trolleys. The food itself was slightly better than the average airline meal. This is my third flight using this airline and I would be happy to fly with them again.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

the flight was delayed from Auckland new Zealand for almost 2 hours because there something wrong with the wing on left side but didn't give us further explanations about what's going on. in the end I called the flight attendant to explain to me what's going on. she said the plane is fine it's just a maintenance but everyone can see that there's something wrong with the wing. in the end it's the captain who explained to me that the plane was safe to fly even is the wing flap is not closing properly. also the customer service is quite poor. when they serve the meal they like throwing it on you. my God. it's just soooooo poor. not flying ever again on this airline.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Chose China Southern for a few reasons - flown on them before and found it fine, luggage allowance (2x 23kg suitcases per person!), free stopover hotel.

Auckland - Guangzhou: definitely worth paying extra to pre book a seat with a bit more leg room. Smaller planes, quite comfy seats.

Transit - make sure you book flights more than 12 hrs apart to benefit from a free transit hotel. If you can navigate their website you can pre-book the hotel to make sure you get a decent one! The transit desk is a bit hard to find but the staff speak English and are reasonably helpful. The shuttles to the various hotels leave fairly regularly so you won’t have to wait long. You also get breakfast and a shuttle back to the airport.

Guangzhou - London: the ‘dreamliner’ 787s are anything but a dream, almost enough to put me off this airline but their luggage allowance is just too good! There is nothing dreamy about the Dreamliner - CS Air have configured theirs with 9 seats across not the standard 8 leaving tiny aisles and seats over an inch smaller than usual. In short, it is a horrible 11.5 hours! Keep your fingers crossed you aren’t seated next to a larger than life person as you will be fighting for space the whole way.

That said, with business class now often under Nz$5000 return I might that a try next time!