“Premium Economy was not a premium experience”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 3 June 2024

In May 2024 we flew Melbourne-Tokyo-Melbourne via Shanghai with China Eastern Airlines, with the long legs (10 hours) in Premium Economy. Based on our experience with other PE products, such as Cathay Pacific, the Premium Economy offer is not at all 'premium'. The food (cryptically described and almost inedible) and the toilets (grubby) are shared with Economy class. The PA seats barely recline and are hard and uncomfortable. The armrests on the seats are bulky, sharp and unforgiving. The useless footrests merely squeezed our feet against the seat in front. The pillows (1 per passenger) were tiny. The staff seemed stressed and disorganised. Bread rolls arrived way after the meals and were too soggy to eat. The icecream pots arrived when we were finally trying to sleep and were rock hard. After our four flights, two on PE, it seemed to us that Premium is a misnomer. It was just not worth the nearly double the economy seat price that we paid. The best part of the service was that all four flights were on time.

Reviewed 3 June 2024

Booked through Aunt Betty Brisbane to London rtn . The last leg of my journey was cancelled by China eastern Airlines Sydney to Brisbane, I was forced to purchase another ticket to get myself home.
NEVER AGAIN. AUNT BETTY TOOK NO RESPONSIBILITY.
EVEN THOUGH I TRIED SEVERAL TIMES.
BEWARE OF BOOKING THROUGH THIS AGENCY.

Reviewed 3 June 2024

I think I was lucky! Both flights, departure and return took off and landed on time without any delay! I read in previous reviews that flight attendants don't serve well but I think this airline reads reviews and takes action! during the flight the flight attendants were friendly and they offered drinks several times. The quality of the food was reasonable and the cabin and toilets were very clean.

Reviewed 27 May 2024

My five year old and I were stuck in Hong Kong and had to desperately buy last minute tickets to London, China Eastern had the cheapest fare by far!! at least $1500 less than other airlines! so we booked right away, but I was little worried about the overall reliability and service we'd be getting at that price. China Eastern really surprised me, I was so impressed by the kindness and professionalism of the crew, the food was good, the aircrafts we boarded were comfortable and cleaner than some rated higher that i'd been on. The only fault would be entertainment options were limited and no usb-c charging ports but those are first world problems and we were just happy to be on board. Highly recommend and will definitely be flying with them again in future.

Date of travel: February 2024
Reviewed 27 May 2024

Very lazy and even rude stewards who didn’t bother to bring water during the 11 hours long flight. The meals were almost impossible to eat. Very poor choice of international films/music. All in all it was my worst long-distance flight in 30 years of international travelling.

1  Thank V V
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.