“Basic service ”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Flew from Korea to China. Pretty basic service and amenities. Good for short flights and when flight times are convenient.

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (3,511)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked a roundtrip Business award ticket on Delta.com using Delta miles on October 31, 2018 for a January 2019 trip. The flights were operated by China Eastern as they are partners with Delta - no big deal, I thought. I was wrong. China Eastern had cancelled my flight WITHOUT notice and without refund even when I had $275 in taxes and airport fees already charged and 170k delta miles deducted from my account. Even Delta did not know my flight was cancelled until they contacted China Eastern. Fortunately, Delta was able to resolve everything to my satisfaction. But had I not called Delta (I always call the airlines before my int'l flights because crap like this happens more often than you think), I would have been left without $275,170k miles, and a flight to attend a family friend's wedding.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank saipantofu
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Getting into the seat was the first challenge with the cabin staff rudely pushing past people and generally getting in the way. Pillows were then thrown at a few random people from a huge bag, but most people got nothing. The food was pretty awful and there was a very clear indication that these people could not care less about their job or the people on the plane. I don't recall any proper safety check at any time.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I flew this airline because I could get business class for a song. All I had to be OK with was a long layover in Kunming. No problem, since China Eastern had suggested two local hotels. However, at the time I arrived, there were ZERO attendants to assist non-Chinese speakers, ZERO attendants at the service counter - and it was 3AM local time. I was able to get to Hotel Yinghe - recommended by China Eastern, but JUST DON'T DO IT - there is an active taxi scam like we used to have in the states, and smart-phone English-speakers don't make it easier. China Eastern refused to rectify this situation while I was in Kathmandu - they would neither confirm hotel, nor provide advice, nor confirm seating - nothing, nothing. The attendants were quite solicitous and friendly, though. Can't fault the plane or the staff, but don't take this airline without being VERY aware that this is not Europe, or India, or southeast Asia, or central America, or really anywhere.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The flights we took (yvr to Shanghai / return) have the same observations:
Both flights were on time; the seat configuration 2 /4 /2 was nice in that as a couple we could sit together. Do not rely on seat guru to help you in seat selection. Pillows and blankets were provided for this long haul flight. However the seats had very little leg room and while the inflight entertainment could have been good, unfortunately ear pieces provided did not work and they still use the proprietary two prong connections so personal ear pieces could not be used even if you had your own two prong adaptor.
The crew hardly spoke English so communication was limited to chief purser addressing the passengers on the pa unless you were fluent in Chinese. The two in flight meals were never heated up so breakfast ( omelet and bacon were served cold) and so was dinner. Coffee was cold and all soft drinks were warm and served without ice. I believe the flight attendants were very poorly trained.
Seats were very uncomfortable but they were clean with headcovers for both flights. Online Seat selection was difficult and not very user friendly. Furthermore, if you asked, economy bulkhead seats were available but when we asked to change seats ( which we had paid for on our online seat selection) we were told we could move at a price of 1000 Yuen (200$ cdn) per seat or over 1/3 of the cost for a round trip airfare!
I strongly recommend that you bring your own food and drinks for the flight including snacks since none are provided.
Unfortunately, there is no premium economy and business class is prohibitively priced.
I would not recommend this airline unless you want cheap flights which are available mainly in November and you are willing to put up with a airline that cares little about its passengers. It’s really too bad because China is going out of its way to promote tourism but make the journey there very arduous. A little effort would go a long way here.