“get what you pay for”
Review of tigerair australia

Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a budget airline. There are no extras unless you pay for them. A word of warning though, they do weigh your carry on luggage at some airports (Brisbane is one of them) and if you are over the luggage limit they will ask you to pay for it. You need to think about if the extras are worth paying for or going with say Qantas which has baggage included but cost extra to fly. The seats are very small so if you are a tall man you will need the emergency row. Flights like all airlines can be delayed but you will get to your destination eventually, just don't take it out on ground staff to much as it's nothing they can control. They do have assistance for disability or elderly travelers you have to ask for and preferably in advance.

1  Thank samantha d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Tigerair is a waste of time, inconvenient and is not customer or employee focused. I was scheduled to fly at 8:00am to Townsville from Melbourne a day before Good Friday. The evening before the flight I received an email that the flight was delayed to 11:00 due to Engineering requirements and that safety was their priority. This was false.

At 10:10am just as the passengers were arriving to the airport we all received another email stating that the flight was delayed to 14:30 due to Engineering requirements and their priority to safety. This was false too. The engine replacement had been completed but now the crew had stood themselves down and gone home.

Given that I was being held hostage at the airport due to poor communication I decided to check out these claims of engineering requirements. It took me all of 25 minutes to discover that all but three of Tigerair’s fleet were operational and one of which had been grounded in Melbourne for three days. Reviewing the other fleet movements it would have been possible to alter the tails on five different planes to get their passengers to Townsville. This was not done or explored from what I could tell.

Armed with this knowledge I went to the service counter where there were a large number of other inconvenienced passengers, all of which were being lied to profusely by the support staff. After listening to the syrupy rehearsed lies of those with less knowledge of the fleet’s whereabouts I kindly interjected and explained where their planes were and the fact that the alleged engineering requirements was also false. This resulted in the standard lies of waiting for parts and other emergent lies. The plane was in Melbourne and the plane had undergone routine planned maintenance.

At one point I detailed that the most suitable option available was that a flight from Hobart could be reassigned to ensure that an operational plane was assigned to the stranded passengers. One minute later the ground staff had now ‘received’ an email detailing that the Hobart tail (tail is a cool name given to describe the allocation of a individual plane (tail) to a route) had been reassigned to Townsville and we would all be saved at 17:00. Apparently, whilst I was talking the ground staff missed this update and it was an oversight of the staff member sitting 2 meters away to not inform the supervisor of this fundamental change. This was false too. There was no email or tail change. When someone claims that an email was sent always ask what time the email was sent. If they are lying they will change the topic, it is pretty simple to see through these lies.

Given the ongoing and emergent lies a number of other passengers were getting distraught and rather vocal. Nothing too serious but enough for the supervisor to go into a retaliatory assertive stance leaning forward and over the closest lady. Realising that this was an intentional intimidating action I raised my left hand to stop his further forward motion in the hope to de-escalate the situation. The pad of three of my fingers came into light contact with the supervisor’s shoulder as he lent forward. He was already well shifted into alleged victimisation stating that I had invaded his space. It was obvious that this was a well rehearsed allegation. Like clockwork another employee stated that she was going to ring the police. At this point I asked her to go sit down which she did rather easily. A simple task that would have been more productive than threatening her through intimidation and threats to contact the police. The fact that I had proven myself trustworthy also helped in this situation.

I honestly feel sorry for the staff at Tigerair. I can’t imagine what it would be like going to work knowing that I am the thin veneer between some manager’s poor decision on how to allocate aircraft in the least disruptive manner to the business at the expense of their customers and their customers convenience.

I raised this with the unlucky staff that had been effectively mobbed by half a plane’s worth of passenger’s wondering what was going on and how many more delays they would be subjected too. I did this in a nice empathetic way saying I felt sorry for them copping the unfair responses due to someone else’s failures. They tried to keep it together saying that this didn’t happen often and it was a one off but their eyes told a different story. Two of them had eyes that were welling up slightly. One of which was the most cold and stone like in the previous discussions with the passengers. I must point out that proceeding to my discussions I always asked for someone higher up as I acknowledged that they were neither responsible or accountable for the current situation. I really do feel sorry for staff that are willing placed in these situations. There must be someone hiding behind a desk palming these situations off to the ground staff that will manage ‘it’.

In a sign of goodwill the supervisor did arrange for a phone call from the operations with myself after explain that this would never happen as ops don’t talk to passengers. It was a good chat and the first where I felt that I was not being lied to. I still had some doubts but ultimately her description and honesty was welcomed. I forwarded on this update to a number of other passengers which calmed them down. Ultimately, there is a big difference between being fed insincere and constantly changing diatribe to straight up honesty.

When the flight and plane went ahead there was a lot of worn and frowning faces lined up to be told of another 20 minute and then 15 minute wait. Planes that sit in hangers for 3 days don’t get stocked or cleaned. One odd thing about the flight was that there were no babies on the flight. Mid flight a baby’s bottle was being handed around that was found under a seat. On Tigerair you can pay an extra $3 to jump the queue and board first. This is effectively a tax for people who don’t understand that a plane can’t leave without everybody on board. After 9 hours of delay that 5 minutes of sitting on the plane before others boarded must of felt worth it. They’ll be able to tell their friends their flight was delayed for 9 hours due to engineering requirements. I’ll get to tell my friends that my flight was delayed for over 9 hours due to poor maintenance scheduling, a failure to schedule appropriately, crew standing down, negligence of management, ever changing lies of ground staff and excruciatingly deficient communication to their customers and staff.

In hindsight Tigerair should have been upfront with the apparent engineering requirements and the risk that the flight crew would be stood down due to delays and going over their flight time. It is pretty simple if you can send me an email about a delay, phone your crew and tell them not to come in until the later time as well.

Tigerair needs to be more transparent, if I can locate their entire fleet and ascertain the maintenance program in 25 minutes what purpose does lying to their passengers/customers achieve. When talking to the Operations personnel they asked where I got my information from which I responded the internet. They asserted that I couldn’t trust everything on the internet. I’ve found the internet to be more truthful in this situation than a multitude of Tigerair employees.

In the end the flight crew that were on the plane were lovely, most people recognised that they were innocent of the situation. One of the hostesses was meant to be on Fraser Island and had been flown in from Brisbane to Melbourne. She was the nicest hostess I have ever met and her kindness calmed down an entire section of the plane. In all honesty she should be teaching the other Tigerair staff how to be sincere and empathetic rather than the way they currently come across.

Would I fly Tigerair again, no. Would I recommend Tigerair to others, no. Why did I fly Tigerair, I took a risk. The flight was direct and had an agreeable arrival time. If the booking stated that there was a high probability of extensive delays and inhospitable service I would have opted for one of the flights with a short stopover in another terminal. By avoiding a scheduled hour or two on the ground I got nine where I had to pay for over priced beer, long term parking which could have been avoided and although I was on holidays I had to think for 25 minutes to outsmart some Tigerair employees that were getting paid.

Don’t fly Tigerair if you have plans, connecting flights, are sick of airport terminals and don’t feel like you deserve to be disrespected or lied to.

2  Thank justinthebyrner
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Comfortable enough for low cost airline. I have connection flight to Bangkok in the early morning, so i have to stay at Changi airport for one night. The bad is, i cant print out for my connecting ticket so i have to exit immigration & then going to check in counter for print out the ticket & get back to the gate. Everything is ok for my flight, but because its a low cost airline, means that no free baggage allowance, no meal on board, no entertainment.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Everything costs extra, even 1kg over weight in your hand luggage, check in lady was very rude. Little leg space. Will 100% sure choose any other airline in future. The staff in the plane was friendly and that was the only positive experience during the flight.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I got charged $46.40 because my carry on was 2kg overweight... That was pretty much the cost of my flight. I personally think it's robbery, staff were totally unapologetic and unfriendly. Will never fly with them again. Do not recommend.