“If you want to go hand luggage then do so”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 20 October 2018

I was surprised to see they sent texts and emails asking us to consider putting our hand luggage in the hold as the flight as very busy! Monday afternoon. We were having a short break so wanted to fly with hand luggage only so we joined the boarding queue as soon as possible to ensure our bags could be stored in the cabin. I know the luggage could be placed in the hold at this stage free but we were getting to the hotel late enough without waiting that extra time.

I did enjoy using the mobile app for both of us to board without printing a boarding pass. Easy and a pleasant change. No need for ID or passport for this internal flight.

The flight was on time.
I don't like their Joanna Lumley style safety briefing - I couldn't see the screen so was a little surprised to hear other actors and her butt in. Ok others may like it but I don't.

Drinks are expensive and food pretty limited on short flights - fortunately we looked at the menu before flying and bought food with us
Crew were polite and the cabin was clean.
The pilot warned us it could be bumpy and did his best to keep the flight smooth - no complaints there

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (38,648)

Reviewed 20 October 2018

Plenty of staff at check in area ,very helpful as we had a problem ,security went smoothly. Flight boarding went fine, seats very comfortable with complimentary blankets, pillow and earphones. Flight attendants came round with drinks before tea as we flew at 5.30pm the two choices were curry or vegetable pasta, cheese and crackers, dessert and tea or coffee. Not a fan of curry and the pasta too much tomatoes so glad there was the extras to be honest. Later they came round with Ice-Creams followed by sandwiches which were nice.

On the flight coming home leaving at 10.00pm we had the same in flight meal curry and pasta, just a different dessert. The breakfast was disgusting a cream cheese with peppers bagel , for a start it was stone cold and put your teeth on edge and slimy

Reviewed 20 October 2018

Having flown with British Airways in the 90s and 2000s, I remembered the service as high-class (even for economy, or World Traveller as they call it.) I was very eager to fly with BA again, but I was VERY disappointed: the plane was old, the food was pretty average (some ravioli sticking to one another in a not-very-appealing sauce) and the worst: NO SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENTS IN SPANISH. My husband, who has phobia of flying and does not speak English, was travelling overseas for the first time in this long-haul flight (13 hours,) and was quite uneasy not to hear the emergency information in his language - the language of the country from which the plane was departing! I calmed him down and explained the emergency features because I worked as a flight attendant myself many years ago but of course it was a very serious failure from the company not to provide this. Also, I could not see that the flight attendants wore any flags indicating they spoke Spanish, so if you don't speak English and travel on your own, you're left on your own devices! Sorry! There used to be bilingual personnel before. Inflight entertainment - very varied IF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH. My husband didn't have much choice. I felt very frustrated as I was telling my husband how nice it would be to travel with BA (based in my previous experience) and we got nothing of the sort. And the price was by no means low-cost!!!

Date of travel: August 2018
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

British Airways flies daily between Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban routes. Most times they are on time with their airline staff being professional and efficient. To be honest I cannot say the same for the ground staff at the check in and boarding counters. The staff here need training on customer care. My recent flight last week showed that they are not fully trained to deal with a crisis like delayed flights. However the supervisor on duty Vusi was efficient, compassionate and handled the situation with ease. Will I fly BA again? Yes definitely I will. The food served are always hot and fresh. A vegetarian or vegan is always catered for. I have flown on all domestic airlines and therefore can vouch for BA.

Reviewed 20 October 2018

We were concerned as the flight was operated by American Airlines whose reputation has taken a beating lately. All I can say was the flights both coming and going were wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The premium economy is a must for a comfortable flight (the food is better there too) well worth the extra $$