“Surprisingly good experience”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 17 February 2019

First time with this airline so a bit apprehensive. Was pleasantly surprised.

In reality it is a two hour shuttle service but had a polite functional crew and a decent snack served with non alcoholic drinks. Was impressed.

• Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a ReviewReviews (16,057)

Reviewed 17 February 2019

Flight from San Francisco to Buenos Aires was very long,but the planes we were on were comfortable and they fed us

Date of travel: January 2019
Reviewed 17 February 2019

The crue was very proffessional, nothing to reproach. Everything was ok, food, drinks, the stewards very friendly

Reviewed 16 February 2019

I had a non-stop round trip reservation Boston-Bogota-Boston. Yesterday I was informed by United Airlines (I am a frequent flyer member and purchased this ticket through them) that Avianca decided to cancel my non-stop Bogota-Boston, and instead put me on a 1-stop flight. here are my reasons for this 1 star review:

1) My original flight time was departing Bogota at 1:15 pm arriving nonstop to Boston at 8:21 pm. Perfect time for me to get up in the morning and for my wife to pick me up in the evening form the airport. THAT IS WHY I SELECTED AND PAID FOR THIS RESERVATION!!!

2) Avianca rescheduled me on a flight departing 4:59 am with a 50 min plane change stop in none other than El Salvador. Not only that it would have just given me 50 min to change planes, something that i will never schedule as you risk missing your connecting flight, but this would have automatically increased the chances for my bag to suddenly disappear and never make it to Boston. This is an itinerary I would never choose on my own.

3) Who knows if tomorrow or next week, Avianca decides to also change my non-stop flight Boston-Bogota. I won't take that risk.

4) I guess Avianca is very good at taking reservations, but very bad at what is more important, that actual holding of the reservations.

5) Avianca should have reached out to me directly to offer me something to compensate me for their incompetence, or at least an apology, as they rescheduled me on a very crappy flight. I would still have cancelled the whole reservation and re-booked it with a different airline, but at least I won't be writing this review

It is one thing that I decide to take my own risks and bring discomfort on to myself, but it is a different story if those risks and discomforts are imposed onto me by someone else. I will not allow that! I am a paying customer, not a beggar.

I canceled my reservation all together through United and got a 100% refund. I used Avianca about 12 years ago. Not a good experience either as the seats were pure wood with just a liner, there was no padding at all. I only thought of using Aviance this time because of the convenience of their non-stop flights...so much for that! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• Value for money
Reviewed 16 February 2019 via mobile

For the past two weeks I have been trying to get a hold of Avianca and they keep dropping my calls every time after 10 minutes and our issue has not been resolved. My friend and I were planning on going to Brazil after Chile, but unfortunately it didn’t work out because we got extremely sick with a viral infection and we were unable to make it to Brazil. Unfortunately, we had already bought our return flight to LAX from Brazil and Avianca let us know that given our medical emergency, if we provided a doctor note we would be able to be considered for a fee waver to change our flight location. They told us to wait 24 hours for them to contact us about our fee waver form. After waiting for them to contact us for more than 24 hours we decided to call them to see the status of our case. Note that this was two weeks before our original flight date. When we called they let us know that our flight had been cancelled, but we would’ve never found this out if we didn’t reach out to them about our form. They also told us that we must contact them after 48 hours because our form was still in process. We contacted them after 48 hours and this is when they began to drop every call we made. After a week and constantly contacting them while we were extremely ill, they finally accepted our exoneration. We have continued trying to contact them all week about our options to change our flight and they keep dropping the call before giving us our options for change of flight. Our flight should have been tomorrow and yet we are still stuck in Chile and they have done nothing to help even though we have contacted them through various methods (Twitter, Live Chat, Chilean Avianca phone number and USA Avianca phone number). We have had to pay for these various calls because of our international phone and they continue to say that they can’t call us back after the calls drop which leads us to think they’re doing it on purpose. They told us on Twitter that they would call us today and they still haven’t and it’s already 9:00 PM. We need to get back home immediately so we were hoping USA Avianca call center could help since it is earlier out there, but they still keep dropping our call. They are unreliable and unprofessional and are making our medical situation even worse than it already is. Worst of all we are stranded in another continent and still recovering. I have attached pictures of the various times I tried to contact them ONLY FROM TODAY. There was a lot more calls throughout the two weeks.

1  Thank Janette I