“Comfy seats, dietary needs supplied.”
Review of Avianca

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The seats were a little roomier than other airlines I’ve used. There was a good choice of films and TV. The map was okay but would have been nicer if interactive - I’d like a zoom option so we could see which town or village was out of the window. The vegetarian meal and the lactose free meal we had asked for were provided correctly. There was a facility on the plane for checking our connection which was easy to use. Staff were helpful. Overhead lockers were big enough.

Date of travel: December 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (15,546)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our Christmas holiday got off to the worst possible start when we tried to check in (early) in Barcelona.

We had an organised 2 week tour of Costa Rica ahead of us which we were understandably looking forward to immensely. However this required an Avianca transfer flight in Bogotá to San José (BCN-BOG-SJO) so we could stick to our not-inexpensive itinerary.

At check in we were told that the incoming flight to Barcelona was delayed by and hour and a half and that meant we would miss our connection to San José as ours was the last BOG-SJO flight of that day but that the airline would put us up in a hotel in Bogotá and we were checked on to the first BOG-SJO flight at 06.00 the next morning.

So far, so correct by the airline. What we didn't know was that after an 11hr flight, we'd have to queue in Bogotá without our bags (they'd been sent to San José), wait it a queue for about 2hrs at the Avianca Error Desk with hundreds of other people whose Christmas travel plans had been buggered up by Avianca's inefficiency.

Once we received our 'hotel and food' voucher from Avianca we had to deal with Immigration in BOG airport, security, customs, customs security and then we had to find where to go to get the shuttle bus to the hotel provided - nobody could clearly tell us exactly where we had to go - no Avianca employees directing flight victims - nothing.

We eventually went to bed in an Alan Partridge hotel close-ish to the airport at around 01.00 local time, which for us meant a lot more than 24hrs without sleep (if you can count sketchy plane-sleep minutes, while being disturbed by trolley-dollies when you don't need/want them or them going missing when you do as sleep).

As we'd been put on the first flight the following morning, we had to wake up at 03.00, have a very quick 'express - basic -breakfast' - leave Alan's hotel to get picked up by the inefficient shuttle bus in order that we got to BOG airport at 04.00 for the SJO flight a little after 06.00.

The BOG-SJO flight left on time, but arrived more than 30mins later due to 'wind' so we missed our rescheduled connection with the tour we'd paid for and looked forward to.

These clowns are inept and avoid them at all costs

1  Thank Mono_Jockos
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So I was going to Lima as a layover with my final destination being Guayanquil, Ecuador. I had 3 large suitcases to check in and that REALLY HELD ME UP. I ended up paying for the luggage in cash, to expedite the process, but arrived at the gate when the last people were boarding. They wouldn't let me on the flight. They said I had to wait for the next flight. I argued that people were still getting on the flight, but they had removed my luggage!! They rerouted me to Bogota and I got to Guayanquil approx. 3 hours later than expected. They upgraded me to BUSINESS CLASS!!

Date of travel: January 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have travel several times in Avianca and ievery time is worse. First, we were going to travel from Los Angeles to Bogota after a long journey from Australia. There was a delay of 3 hours in LAX. They did not provide information about what happen. In our return flight, from Bogota to SFO. There was a delay of 5 hours, several customers were really angry, Avianca staff moved us 4 times between gates just to avoid the angry people. For the delay, we lost our connection in Salvador to SFO. Many people were postponed for the next day to fly. We caught a later plane in Salvador and arrived late in SFO around 2am. Really hard with a toddler and pregnant wife. AND THEY LOST OUR STROLLER. It was abandoned in San Salvador. Wa are still waiting for it.

Date of travel: January 2019
1  Thank vladoram
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travelling from Lima to Cusco on Avianca was very well organized, the aircraft were clean, and it was a comfortable trip.