“Premium Economy to the Islands”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I checked in for the flight easily via the American Airlines app. I checked a bag with the friendly agent in the premium line, where there was no wait. Security was a breeze. Sadly, there is no lounge for American Airlines passengers is Maui, which is disappointing. Once at the gate, my name was paged over the intercom, and I discovered that I had been upgraded to a seat in the Premium Economy cabin. While I was hoping for an upgrade to the First Class cabin, this was certainly better than nothing.

Awaiting at my seat were the premium pillows and blankets that are typically offered in international business class. The seat also features a larger personal television, a tray in between seats for drinks, and footrests. There were several mechanical problems with the aircraft though, as the flight attendant later announced that people were either not able to turn off, or turn on, their individual reading lights, including one of the lights above me that pointed toward one of my seat opponents. The awesome and resourceful flight attendant came through later in the flight with tape and a piece of paper to put over the light to try to minimize the light seepage.

We were presented with a plastic packaged fruit and cheese tray, followed by a box containing either a veggie or turkey wrap. I went with the turkey wrap, which was good, and was served with a sweet Lilikoi bar for dessert, as well as Maui style potato chips. There was an initial drink service after takeoff, and then water was offered later in the flight, but there was not a second full drink service, which was disappointing. I did manage to get a bit of rest on the flight, which was appreciated.

Overall, while it is better than flying in the back, the seats were still cramped compared to other carriers' Premium Economy cabins.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (48,892)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The only good part of international flight is getting to watch recent movie releases, but I was disappointed to find that not only was there no individual screens, but I couldn't download the app to watch because it wasn't available on
Amazon and I had a phone without a jack! Also the stewardess forgot to get aspirin for the person seated to my left, so I gave him some I had. Then I heard them complaining about their work in the galley-I was seated in one of last few rows, so it was loud enough for several of us to overhear.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The worst. We will never fly with American Airlines ever again. They overbook every single flight and do not assist you at all. They are incompetent and completely ill equipped as an airline. Never fly with American Airlines.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We used miles and AA charged us so much for our "free" flights that it was barely worth it. $75 one way plus other costs for the privilege of using our miles. then there was a big luggage issue at the gate because people bring so many carry-ons that the overhead bins were full before we boarded. I prefer SOUTHWEST but had to fly to ORD this time.
We hope it is our last.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There are not a lot of options to fly to Myrtle Beach after October 1st... I guess the airlines assume it's a 'summer' destination only. The usual 'direct' options weren't available. My lunchtime flight from Pearson connected in Charlotte... not too long, just 2 hours and I was in MYR by 5pm ready to relax and spend a relaxing 10 days in Pawleys Island.