“Bumped off flight, received voucher but it was a LONG process”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Gate agents requested for 20 passengers on the 5.30pm flight to Bermuda to volunteer to take a flight the next day, as due to the extra fuel needed (Not sure if this was true OR if the flight had been overbooked) there was a weight issue. Volunteers were to receive a $1000 American Travel Voucher as well as overnight accommodation and a dinner voucher.

However, We were then changed from Gate D39 - D1 as a larger aircraft was available, however this was a good 15-20 minute walk and we were all very nervous about potentially missing our flight, as the gate changed happen 10 minutes before boarding. I received a notification from American on the AA app around 5 minutes before the gate agents made the announcement.

We all rushed to the gate, and the new gate agents had no idea that there were about to be a lot of potentially very unhappy travellers. Our flight was delayed as the new aircraft had to be cleaned and refuelled,however there was still not enough room for everyone on the flight.

The alternate flight for the passengers unable to fly was the following morning at 6pm via Philadelphia vs. a direct flight from Miami to Bermuda. Those of us who volunteered or who were unable to get on this flight unfortunately had to wait for around 3 hours too receive our new tickets as well as the compensation offered.

I was given the voucher for $1000 as well as $12 towards dinner and was put up at the Holiday Inn. The gate agents were more than helpful in a stressful situation with many upset passengers and they should be recognized and applauded for their excellent patience and customer service during this very stressful event!

Unfortunately the travel voucher cannot be transferred to another family member, and in order to use it you have to call AA to make the reservation which is a hassle.

AA should have anticipated the weight needed for the extra fuel OR not overbooked this flight, as I have had multiple experiences of the flight from Miami to Bermuda incurring delays and problems.

I like flying American as they offer many flights as well as a great loyalty program, however I am often being forced to rebook flights and change travel plans.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (48,681)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This flight was a connecting flight to Santa Fe, was on time with a smooth landing. Got my connection in time very well done to the crew.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This flight got off to a poor start before it even left the (E) gate. The flight left from the forgotten E terminal, where there is no Admiral's Club. You feel like American's forgotten step-child departing from here. Once at the gate, gate agents announced they were waiting for the flight attendants to arrive from another flight before they could start boarding. So we waited. And then eventually the flight attendants showed up.d And we waited some more. Soon, the gate agent announced that there was an unknown mechanical problem and that boarding would be delayed, but she didn't know for how long...so I was stuck at the gate (along with the numerous crying babies). All told, we were delayed about 30 minutes. I understand delays happen, but this is a major problem with American and nothing seems to be done about it and nobody seems to care.

Once onboard, a blanket greeted me at the seat, and the flight attendant offered a pre-departure beverage of choice.

Drinks were offered in the air, along with a passing of the snack basket. Re-fills of drinks were offered throughout the flight. Despite flights to (shorter distance) Denver getting Lite Bites, the premium flights to Aspen are stuck with the snack basket. A poor competitive offering, especially when United offers meals on their non-stop flights to Aspen from Houston.

Wi-fi on the flight worked well, and there was even power at the seat (unlike on mainline ex-US Airways planes).

Gate-checked bags came out quickly. Checked baggage came out prioritized by priority stickers first, which is always noticed and appreciated.

Overall, a typical American Airlines flight.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Took a trip in late October to visit relatives in Phoenix, AZ. We were able to get flights from Toledo at a decent rate, so we took them instead of driving up to Detroit. The two flights (from Toledo to Chicago and then back from Chicago to Toledo) were fine. We expected the small planes and limited service. We didn't pay any additional fees to sit together which was a big mistake. While I think it is a rip off to charge people to sit together, I will pay it next time. Can we get bigger seats? I am not asking for 1st class all around. Just make them 6 - 8 inches wider.

The middle flights (Chicago to Phoenix and then Phoenix to Chicago) weren't very good. Both flights were over booked. Why have a rule on the size bags you can carry on and not enforce it? People were bringing on bags that were twice the size allowed, and then the crew were telling the people who boarded last that they had to check their bags. Luckily that didn't happen to us, but I felt bad for the people who had to endure it.

Airplane food isn't good. If you can, bring on your own food. The food you receive is not worth the cost. The man next to me asked for a can of soda and was given just a glass. When he asked if he could get the entire can, the attendant said not until everyone was served. When she came by again, he asked for a can. She gave him a "glare" and left. She did bring him a can. I was surprised at the low level of customer service. I understand there are a limited number of attendants dealing with dozens of people, but don't take it on on us.

I can't recommend this airline over the others. However, I can't say don't use it because I have had similar service and experiences on other airlines as well. We didn't take the cheapest flights because we were hoping for better quality. It didn't happen.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Flights were both over one hour late. Made the connection, however. Stressful, for passenger on walker, to board and to deplane at Charlotte to the tarmac via steps and ramp - especially in the midst of a thunderstorm. Courteous and helpful personnel.