“2 Average Flights, 2 Below Average Flights”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Took a trip in late October to visit relatives in Phoenix, AZ. We were able to get flights from Toledo at a decent rate, so we took them instead of driving up to Detroit. The two flights (from Toledo to Chicago and then back from Chicago to Toledo) were fine. We expected the small planes and limited service. We didn't pay any additional fees to sit together which was a big mistake. While I think it is a rip off to charge people to sit together, I will pay it next time. Can we get bigger seats? I am not asking for 1st class all around. Just make them 6 - 8 inches wider.

The middle flights (Chicago to Phoenix and then Phoenix to Chicago) weren't very good. Both flights were over booked. Why have a rule on the size bags you can carry on and not enforce it? People were bringing on bags that were twice the size allowed, and then the crew were telling the people who boarded last that they had to check their bags. Luckily that didn't happen to us, but I felt bad for the people who had to endure it.

Airplane food isn't good. If you can, bring on your own food. The food you receive is not worth the cost. The man next to me asked for a can of soda and was given just a glass. When he asked if he could get the entire can, the attendant said not until everyone was served. When she came by again, he asked for a can. She gave him a "glare" and left. She did bring him a can. I was surprised at the low level of customer service. I understand there are a limited number of attendants dealing with dozens of people, but don't take it on on us.

I can't recommend this airline over the others. However, I can't say don't use it because I have had similar service and experiences on other airlines as well. We didn't take the cheapest flights because we were hoping for better quality. It didn't happen.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (48,688)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Flights were both over one hour late. Made the connection, however. Stressful, for passenger on walker, to board and to deplane at Charlotte to the tarmac via steps and ramp - especially in the midst of a thunderstorm. Courteous and helpful personnel.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Safe flights. One hour late for each. No major inconvenience. Courteous and helpful flight attendants.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For many years, we've flown exclusively on British Airways from Philadelphia to Glasgow, by way of London Heathrow. This year, as American Airlines honors BA's Avios points, we decided to take the direct flights from Philadelphia to Glasgow.

The transAtlantic flight from Philadelphia was uneventful. We were able to sit together, as we arrived at the airport in time to get better seats. However, on the return flight, I called American Airlines just as the 24 hour window opened, in order to get seats together. The only seats that were available were two seats across the aisle from one another in row 24. I told the agent that as that's all that was left in proximity, I'd have to take them, but that we (my wife and I) could at least hold hands across the aisle. The agent said, "Do you mind if I ask a personal question?" I said sure. He then asked me how long we'd been married. I said "45 years." His reply was "That's inspiring!"

We got to the airport in Glasgow early, as I had to return our hired car by a certain time to avoid being billed for another day. When we got to the airline counter, I asked the agent if we could get seats together. She asked if we minded sitting in an exit row. I said that that was fine, as we'd be guaranteed extra leg room. Plus, those exit row seats are normally about $135.00 extra.

We ended up in row 17, with lots of leg room, and due to my veteran's status, we were allowed to board first. So instead of having to hold hands across the aisle, we ended up with more than adequate leg room, free newspapers, and extra snacks.

Thanks American Airlines! Our return flight was very comfortable, and much better than we had hoped for. Maybe we'll become regular customers.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My round trip flight from Philadelphia to San Juan and back was the perfect fights! Excellent flight and landings, friendly and attentive flight attendants! I felt so comfortable where usually I’m a wreck on a plane! I’m beginning to like this more than I ever thought I would!!