“Good flight”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I traveled this flight on a Thursday PM. The flight was nearly full, loaded relatively efficiently, the crew was pleasant, and arrived on time. What more can you ask?

Write a ReviewReviews (46,754)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I finally (!) got a chance to use my leftover American Airlines Advantage miles on two one way flights back from Saint Louis. I thought I'd hate flying with them, but I can't say I did.

For one thing, on the flight from DFW to SFO, there was an entertainment console in every seat, the choices were remarkably varied and well-curated -among the best I've seen on a plane, and entertainment was free! But that's not even the best part. The best part was that surprisingly, American chose to go the extra mile and show films in unedited form, even if they include nudity. That's a bold step -super impressive!

By contrast, on a United flight between DFW and SFO 2 weeks earlier, the choices on offer were much worse, and they required either somehow downloading some sort of app to your own device *before* the flight began, or paying for the privilege of watching mediocre entertainment. I don't care for apps, and I refuse to pay out of principle.

The other thing I liked about American is that they'll give you the can when they come around with the drink cart, sometimes even without asking. It's the least they can do when they don't feed you on a 4 hour flight.

The flights did arrive and leave on time, though flight tracking sites say there's about a 1 in 3 chance that STL to DFW flight will be late, thus putting your connection in jeapordy.

OTOH, there is still much to hate about American.

For one thing, the whole STL to DFW segment was just totally unnecessary. It doesn't take any less time to go from DFW to SFO than it does from STL to SFO. United has a direct flight, but American which supposedly serves both hubs more frequently, had to add an extra 3.5 hours to our trip.

And the main reason why I don't use them as my preferred airline is that their miles program might as well stand for Atrocious Award Availability. Hence using the awards not for a round trip ticket which was unavailable, but for two one-way flights back, and the flight there with another carrier.

And even so, the flight wasn't entirely free, because we had to pay for the privilege of sitting together on one of the flights.

Still, the entertainment alone made the flight experience infinitely more tolerable and more likely to fly with them. If it was just between DFW and SFO, I'd have to grudgingly admit that American may be the better choice out of several awful US-based airline companies.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Getting to my destination was no problem. After the cruise I went to the airport for my return trip home on American Airlines, they checked me in and gave me a boarding pass which told me what gate I was suppose to depart from. I was at the airport 4 hrs before my flight. I was sitting around waiting n waiting. They never called my flight. I went up to an agent to ask about my flight and she said, if you run, maybe the airplane hasn’t left yet. From 1 end of the airport to the other end of the airport, by the time I got to the gate, the agent said, you just missed your flight, she said that they paged me several times. What good is getting wrong information if the airlines still blame you the passenger for being at the wrong gate. I was then told to go back to the gate I was originally assigned to catch a later flight home. No compensation, no We’re sorry. I have no words for American Airlines for giving me the run around to catch a flight.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First flight on American that the flight was on time. of course, flight attendants were quite nice. Nothing about the flight was extraordinary.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was upgraded to business class on my flight from Lihue to Los Angeles, since this was not a 'large' plane, business class was just a typical recline large seat.
Service was very good, but for dining option, the only available choice was some kind of ramen food. the salads and desert were good but the ramen was just mediocre.