“American frequent flyer -- AAdvantage program -- useless to Europe”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I travel internationally at least twice a year and one of them is generally on frequent flyer miles, mostly earned as credit card benefits. I loved USAir and moved to American with the merger. American, itself, now seems to do little flying to Europe and turns those routes over to its partners. British Air is the main one of them, and it charges huge fees even if you use them on only one leg of a longer flight. For this March it seemed always to be about $350 per person, each way. I knew to look around and sure enough, there were options on Iberia if you went through Miami or Boston with some pretty awkward connections. That was good enough for this one trip, to use up my miles, but I suggest switching to United Mileage plus, which has as its principle European partner Lufthansa which is better by every measure and WAY WAY cheaper in its fees. It also uses better, less crowded, hubs, both in the US and in Europe, i.e. Washington Dulles, Frankfort and Munich.

Date of travel: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (51,268)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Everything was ok, not out of ordinary. It was comftrable, one passenger took my seat, but thats not the airline fault since i was ok with it, that lady was a brat who didn`t want to seat beside an overweight man.

Website promotes that first class have phone and usb inputs to charge, but in the plane i was flying they didnt have them.

Date of travel: November 2017
Reviewed 6 April 2018

No fuss flight. Comfortable seating in economy. Good entertainment system that worked and had a good selection of media to see. Working flight map.

In flight crew very attentive and overall quality of food was fine.

Nice touch with the larger sized soft drink can to the normal mini can.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I regularly fly with American in business and would normally rate them as very good but this flight was not up to the normal standard. Checking in, the lounge and boarding all fine but the service on board was poor. I had the lead FA and his mind seemed to be on other things meaning he was not really paying attention to what he was doing. Lost his list of drink orders. Eventually got the drink but then no offer of wine with dinner. Didin't check if I wanted to be woken for breakfast and then when I did wake up part way through the breakfast service no offer of anything until eventually chased. Oh and of course the normal delay for luggage to be delivered at Manchester. Last time I complained about that the Airline told me it was Manchester Airport and of course Manchester Airport said it was the airline. I use quite a few airports and Manchester is consistently the slowest for baggage delivery.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our flight was delayed from Reno because of bad weather in Dallas...where we were to catch a flight to Santiago, Chile then to Mendoza, Argentina. We were assured by American in Reno that all the Dallas flights were delayed. This was not the case and we missed our flight from Dallas to Santiago. After an hour in the customer service line in Dallas we were re-routed to Sao Paulo, Brazil then Santiago then Mendoza -- but the flight didn't;t leave until the next night at 7 and American would not pay for our hotel because the delay was caused by weather...we were on our own to find a place to stay and by then it was 11 at night. Everything worked out fine getting to Sao Paulo - but the customer service in Dallas was terrible and took way too long. There were a lot of people in our same boat - and American wasn't very helpful.