“AA @ LAX OPS FAILINGS”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 23 November 2017

American Airlines, yet again, cannot seem to get its equipment operations and flight departure times aligned. Another 2 hour delay due to "equipment maintenance" - the flight departure was 4:55pm and there is still not jet at the gate. AA OPS had ALL DAY to plan for the equipment that will ultimately arrive at the gate, however, without having been cleaned, per the announcement by the gate agent, adding to yet another delay. Moreover, AA cannot be upfront about the delay times - they put out delay, after delay, after delay - American Airlines needs to be honest about expected timeframes. I can no longer recommend AA out of LAX. As a frequent traveler and a First Class passenger I recommend NOT flying out of LAX on American Airlines.

Write a ReviewReviews (46,852)

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

As a Platinum flyer I've experienced 7 types of aircraft and varying levels of service on AA in 2017. My most recent experience, on a beautiful nearly-new 787, from Madrid to DFW was one of the best economy experiences I've ever had on AA. Nearly all the cabin crew were friendly and competent (only one was obviously not ready for prime time); in fact, one stewardess stood out as the best ever on AA. The food was relatively edible, and service on the ten-hour flight in economy was what one could consider to be an international norm. I found great availability using miles for Thanksgiving, booking only 5 days in advance. I then spent two hours in the DFW Admirals Club, which is in dire need of an overhaul -- it has possibly the most gross showers of any airline club I've ever seen. (Fortunately renovations are underway.) The next leg of my trip was on a refurbished A320; economy service was the typical domestic experience: friendly and acceptable but the aircraft was far from clean. The overhead bins were filthy. Legroom was good in the exit row and while the upholstery was nice the plane just was not clean. DFW is AA's home airport and they absolutely need to improve their game. The lounge was pure amateur hour and the terminals are shabby.

In other experiences, it's a huge world of difference on their flagship transcon A321T experience between California and New York City, which feels like a different airline than the north-south west coast and north-south east coast routes. For example, their "first class" LaGuardia - Miami experience still isn't on par with e.g. Swiss to anywhere in economy. And I finally experienced Miami - Key West on their Republic-subcontracted service earlier in the year -- a beautiful short-hop flight. And several times I experienced the internal California flights on the forgettable Compass-operated service between the dreaded remote terminal at LAX (one of the most sad and disgusting airline "terminals" anywhere to be found in North America) and Northern California. Those California flights were wonderful when flying along the coast but the scenery was about all that was memorable. You literally are treated like an inmate in that shabby terminal by the indifferent and embittered employees. In reminds me of all the years I flew the horribly old 767's between NYC and Europe, generally with sullen and indifferent aging cabin crew. So I've got to confess: if AA can get more 787's in its fleet ASAP then it will have a bright future. Otherwise most experiences on AA remain average to subpar. I'm switching my domestic business back to Delta next year, because the overall experiences are much more consistent and enjoyable -- whether in first or economy.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

This was on an Airbus and we actually had the capabilities of reclining to sleep. The flight was great, however, AA had just recently had a dispute with their LAX food supplier and fired them. The sandwiches were bad, but the plane made up for it. We each got a voucher for $100 on our next flight.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 22 November 2017

This was our first time flying 1st class for a cruise and what a beginning it was to a fabulous cruise! AA is our favorite airlines and has always been out first choice.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Yesterday I called American to ask about international mileage travel. After waiting for 20 minutes, I opted to have them call me back in 20 - 30 minutes. I verified that this was about international travel and hung up the phone. 30 minutes later, I received a call back, but the gentlemen was from domestic. He transferred me to international, and there I waited for 2 HOURS AND 15 MINUTES. After 2 hours and 15 minutes, I hung up, frustrated.
I sent American an email telling them what happened and asked for a supervisor to contact me.
No one has gotten back to me.
I've been a loyal American customer for 25 years, but with customer service that rivals United, I think I may have to change airlines again.